Large sump options - with built-in roller mat

anushakuchipudi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for a large sump for my 400G reef tank with a built-in roller mat. It seems like trigger systems - Platinum 39 is the only viable option, although it's not big enough to accommodate my tank needs. Add-on roller mats are not efficient enough above 500G water turnover per my knowledge, any feedback or input on this if anyone already had implemented this would be appreciated.
Are there any other sump manufacturers that offers built-in roller mats?
Thanks.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo makes some nice stuff and can do custom, you will wait a while to get it though-

Not knowing your budget Royal Exclusiv dreamboxes are nice, this will be my next sump for sure once we get into the new house. This is what Ryan used for his tank from BRS and you can see it from videos on his tank-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
anushakuchipudi

anushakuchipudi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo makes some nice stuff and can do custom, you will wait a while to get it though-

Not knowing your budget Royal Exclusiv dreamboxes are nice, this will be my next sump for sure once we get into the new house. This is what Ryan used for his tank from BRS and you can see it from videos on his tank-

Thank you for this info. Wow, Royal Exclusiv sumps seems to be super awesome, affordability is in question though. Will check out Geo sumps as well. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am going to do is incorporate both types of filtration. Roller mat and filter sock. Right now I have a very cool 175 gallon sump that I got from another local guy who broke down his 500 gallon tank. Sorry bro, I wish I knew what brand it was because it would have been perfect for you. Anyway I am going to incorporate a roller mat into my sump instead of where two of the filter sock compartments are. What I am also going to do is run a bypass into my third compartment and drain into a filter sock when necessary. During times of vacuuming my sand, or blowing off detritus from rocks, or stirring up detritus in my sump I feel that I could use my filter sock to do the heavy lifting instead of using the more expensive mat. Then when things calm down, I will close the line to the sock area and continue to run my drain through roller mat. Wonder what you guys think of that option.

Upvote 0

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
anushakuchipudi

anushakuchipudi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am going to do is incorporate both types of filtration. Roller mat and filter sock. Right now I have a very cool 175 gallon sump that I got from another local guy who broke down his 500 gallon tank. Sorry bro, I wish I knew what brand it was because it would have been perfect for you. Anyway I am going to incorporate a roller mat into my sump instead of where two of the filter sock compartments are. What I am also going to do is run a bypass into my third compartment and drain into a filter sock when necessary. During times of vacuuming my sand, or blowing off detritus from rocks, or stirring up detritus in my sump I feel that I could use my filter sock to do the heavy lifting instead of using the more expensive mat. Then when things calm down, I will close the line to the sock area and continue to run my drain through roller mat. Wonder what you guys think of that option.
Thank you for the info. That sounds like a great way to leverage both roller mat and filter socks together.

Upvote 0

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reach out to Tyler at Elite Aquatics. He makes custom sumps and has made roller mat ones in the past. You can find him on Facebook.

Upvote 0

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone incorporated an roller mat into a stock tank sump? That could work possibly for you.

corey
The Klir roller mats are made to fit down inside of standard filter sock openings.

Apparently, he is out of business at the moment and not taking any further orders.. sigh!

I just started talking with Bashsea about building me a custom sump for my 270g tank. My plans are to start with filter socks and add roller mats down the line... either off the shelf units or one I build my self.

Upvote 0

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would need a standard sock opening design for my 100 gallon stock tank?

corey

Which roller filter are you wanting to go with and what is a stock 100g tank... does it already have a sock holder in it?

Here is a post showing how the Klir filters fit into a 7 inch sock opening (look at the green part).

Upvote 0

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a stock tank. No socks built in. I am not looking for one, I was merely raising an option for the OP.

Corey

Attachments

• 06413724-5917-44FF-8217-8CEB66632E59.jpeg
    06413724-5917-44FF-8217-8CEB66632E59.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a stock tank. No socks built in. I am not looking for one, I was merely raising an option for the OP.

Corey

Okay, now I'm tracking! It could be done, but it would have to have some type of mount made where the filter was raised up. It could be as simple as a wood board with a circle cut into it laid across the top and the drains pouring through it and down into the stock tank.

Upvote 0

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. That sounds like a great way to leverage both roller mat and filter socks together.
LOL at least in theory. Will let you guys know if this really works. I just feel that if I am going to stir things up for whatever reason in the tank then using the sock to do it is much better and economical. For daily filtration the roller mat would be less maintenance. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corey
They do make hang on filter sock holders for these purposes but I know the OP is not after that anyway. I actually used this setup at first due to already having this 100 gallon tub laying around the house. Made the sump and also made my wife happy for her not having to look at it in the backyard anymore.

Upvote 0
Back