Large Uv light

Stormlasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently right now I have a freshwater Koi pond with a UV sterilizer with an 80 W lightbulb in it that is taking care of the fish pond outside, after dealing with brown jelly disease in my tanks currently I am running a small standalone pump through 16w UV light in my sump, I’m going to be dealing with approximately 300 gallons of water in total system capacity in the next couple days. I want to know if there’s any pros or cons of running the return line of my frag tank which is going to be the larger main tank for my coral through a large 50 W plus UV sterilizer. I’m not looking to spend in arm and a leg on one considering my 80 W fish pond UV light was 150 bucks. I can buy a 55 W one for $109 right now but I’m curious half of them are stainless steel and the other half are plastic is there any recommendations from the reefing community that I can have and before people say buy a saltwater one, most of my tank is rigged up, I can’t afford to buy expensive equipment. The main question I’m going for here is Would stainless steel be a problem or should I go full plastic.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go plastic and stay away from metal esp for saltwater tank....however I believe UV light wont help treat brown jelly disease just prevent it.

OP
OP
Stormlasher

Stormlasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go plastic and stay away from metal esp for saltwater tank....however I believe UV light wont help treat brown jelly disease just prevent it.
I’m aware it won’t treat it but yeh I’m looking to prevent all bacteria and deseases if I can I have been loosing 1 torch per week ish and lucky it hasent been a rare torch but I think it might be in the watercoulem and I wana be extra safe with it and Tnx for the input

Aquajamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with all plastic, it won’t rust or corrode.
There are different grades and qualities of stainless stainless so unless the manufacturer recommends it for saltwater you might be creating a new problem.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All plastic for me and a quality one that has a quality bulb and a quartz insert.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back