Larger, Lower Maintenance Brine Shrimp Hatchery

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I'm looking for some inspiration to build a new hatchery. I'm currently using two upside-down pop bottles with the double airline cap in the bottom. It works, but I want to step it up a notch. One of my big problems is the unhatched eggs make my spawning tanks messy/dirty.

If anyone feels like posting up your hatcheries, I'd love to see them!

Corals.com

ichthyogeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Hmmm...I haven't dealt with eggs in a bit, but you could use the brine shrimp's biology against them. IIRC, BBS are mobile, eggs sink, and hatched cysts float. If you decyst the eggs, then you're left with just the unhatched eggs and the BBS. Add a light at the very top, and since the BBS are phototactic, you can separate them into a layer of unhatched eggs on the bottom, and a layer of hatched BBS at the top. You can decyst the eggs yourself, or

There's also PaulB's hatchery, it separates BBS from unhatched eggs and cysts. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/brine-shrimp-hatchery-paul-b.95234/

How are the unhatched eggs making the tanks dirty? Is it a matter of lack of filtration? Or is it that there's not enough flow such that the eggs sink? What are you spawning?

OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hmmm...I haven't dealt with eggs in a bit, but you could use the brine shrimp's biology against them. IIRC, BBS are mobile, eggs sink, and hatched cysts float. If you decyst the eggs, then you're left with just the unhatched eggs and the BBS. Add a light at the very top, and since the BBS are phototactic, you can separate them into a layer of unhatched eggs on the bottom, and a layer of hatched BBS at the top. You can decyst the eggs yourself, or

There's also PaulB's hatchery, it separates BBS from unhatched eggs and cysts. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/brine-shrimp-hatchery-paul-b.95234/

How are the unhatched eggs making the tanks dirty? Is it a matter of lack of filtration? Or is it that there's not enough flow such that the eggs sink? What are you spawning?
I'm breeding pseudomugil cyanodorsalis in salt water. Amazing little guys... And I mean little; every time I siphon the tanks I suck a few up (even with airline tubing).

Anyway, PaulB's design is good for a general feeder, good idea. I think I'll try to build it in a reactor; I can set up a few different set ups with the spare reactors I have kicking around. I'll post up what I come up with!

isaacalves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
This ZISS bring shrimp Hatchery system being distributed by aquarium co-op seems interesting to me.

And it's relatively inexpensive that it might be cheaper than a DIY.

OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This ZISS bring shrimp Hatchery system being distributed by aquarium co-op seems interesting to me.

And it's relatively inexpensive that it might be cheaper than a DIY.
Looks just like the 'standard' pop bottle setup to me. Unless I'm missing something?

boacvh

View Badges
Reaction score
This is the one I am using. Very happy with it. Ultra low maintenance. 2 mins every four or five days. Pretty simple design and all eggs stay on one side, never with the shrimp

ichthyogeek

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm breeding pseudomugil cyanodorsalis in salt water. Amazing little guys... And I mean little; every time I siphon the tanks I suck a few up (even with airline tubing).

Anyway, PaulB's design is good for a general feeder, good idea. I think I'll try to build it in a reactor; I can set up a few different set ups with the spare reactors I have kicking around. I'll post up what I come up with!
Amazing! Did you get the idea from Inappropriate Reefer or stumble upon them? I’d love to try my hands on breeding them at some point!

OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is the one I am using. Very happy with it. Ultra low maintenance. 2 mins every four or five days. Pretty simple design and all eggs stay on one side, never with the shrimp
This is a good design, but it's too small. I want a large scale hatchery I can draw from and feed bbs to multiple tanks/systems.

Amazing! Did you get the idea from Inappropriate Reefer or stumble upon them? I’d love to try my hands on breeding them at some point!
I just stumbled upon them. I traded a trumpet/candycane coral for a half dozen from a breeder who specialized in fresh water rainbow fish. A while later, I moved away from that area so I bought 20, and started breeding them.

It's very easy, but I discovered last year I really need to keep the rotation going with the breeding mops. My stock was down to 10 as of February. With a proper 2 week rotation of the mops (one tank for laying, one tank for hatching) I'm up to around 40-50 now. Another few months and that should double again, but I suspect a steady supply of BBS and better water quality would improve egg laying.

isaacalves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Going to give a +1 for this.
I can draw live brine out of one of these for 1-2 weeks after the initial hatch, and I get probably 10's of thousands of them total.
Buy 2 or 3 of them and you'll continuously have more brine shrimp than you know what to do with.

Coral in your reef tank?

• Pack in as many as I can get

Votes: 59 13.8%
  • A lot but leave room for growth

Votes: 288 67.3%
  • Less is more

Votes: 60 14.0%
  • Very very few

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • Fish only...blah!

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Other (please explain)