OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still learn new things - better understanding of old things and all the time a need of using my brain - and there is fishes in an aquarium - I have been addicted to fishes since I was 4-5 years old and was fishing with my dad for the first time

Least favourite – the hobby is going backward at this moment – at least here in Sweden.

Sincerely Lasse

Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aahahahah I can definitely understand learning something new every single day. With all the opinions and theory's in this hobby you would think this hobby is "difficult " lol. What do you mean by going backwards? Availability of information or equipment?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m planning to build my own lighting to this aquarium – it will be a mix of different ways of thinking according to LED lighting. I was one of the guys in the Dream Chip experiment a couple of years ago (documented in a thread at RC) and have used this type of chips since that time. 2 years ago I order 5 special chip that I never come to use in my old tank – so they are actual for my new tank. The difference between this chip and the original DC is that my special contents a red channel (630 and 660), some normal blue (470-480 nm) and the whites has a colour temperature of 20 000 K. However they lack greens. I have also done some experiments with a RGBA chip from LED engine

The reason for the experiment with RGBA chip was the fact that too much intensity of the wavelengths between 500 and 600 will “kill” the magnificent fluorescence of many corals for your eye. Folks solve this problem with running extreme blue tanks but I like a white crispy light. The RGBA technology tricks your eyes to see a white light even if it’s only 4 different main wavelengths involved and hopefully it does not “kill” all of the fluorescence from your corals. The LED engines solution do not give any disco effect because the different LEDs is closely packed with a very small footprint I

This is also the reason why I prefer high kelvin phosphate covered LEDs (16 000 K and upwards). I have also found that I need (if I run high Kelvin white LEDs) red LEDs to see the red reflection colours from fishes well. Green has before not been seen as a important wavelengths for plant but recently finished studies of terrestrial plants has shown some importance of these wavelengths.

However – I want to start this tank during the summer and to build this light will take some time – I need a plan B to start with. Pacific Sun and their S-series (SMT – panels) fulfil my wishes but as a temporary solution – it will be too expensive. I was looking for something that was close to what I want.

I end up with Coral Box Moon LED lighting. It’s the same as reef breeders Nano-Light WiFi

It has 6 in depended channels – I can shut down the phosphorus covered channel if I want. The backslash is - I probably will get some disco effect from the red LEDs

I got my lighting yesterday and first impression is good. I have not tested with any water in the aquarium but it looks good

Below it is a picture of my tank with the new light.

The glass fishes is still there – and probably they will be there till I fill water. My wife (with some education in art history) say that it looks like a modern art installation. She think that the light did it better and forget the normal question – How much

P5130058.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A small update before leaving for Interzoo at Nuremberg. I have found two rocks that will be the fundament for the reef. More will come next week.

P5240059.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

Looks very nice!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse the rock work is really turning out great, what happen to the little glass fish?:)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build progress slowly. I have received the last PP 8 wave maker and it’s in place. The return pipe is also fixed

wave1.jpg

return-pipe-DT.jpg

Most of the decoration work is done. I have placed a fake clam shell in a way that I hope will suit one of the fishes I planning to have in the aquarium. I´ll get the cover for the back parts and test if they fit in. Probably I will have the aquarium covered this time, at least the back of the aquarium.

fake.jpg

clam2.jpg

I planning to test the aquarium with water once again during this week and see if it still works as planned – this time full decorated.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all

That Back to Nature backgrounds look nice they do not distribute in the US.
http://backtonature.se/
Is it as nice as it looks.:)

BTN was developed back in the 80-ties by some Swedish guy´s. 1994 it was introduced in a large scale at InterZoo fair in Nuremberg – Germany. It looks like nature and it is installed inside the aquarium and can be used to hide technical installations. It is mostly used in freshwater but I have always used BTN in saltwater too.

Today more people use it in saltwater here in Sweden than before – especially the thin “slim-line” but it is still mostly used in freshwater.

By time – urchins can make holes in the modules but at that time – it does not matter because algae and other organisms (including corals) has been established on the background and all looks natural. In spite of the fact that I´m also a technician – I have never been found of looking at technical installations like pumps and other things. Maybe the fact that I have a background from Public Aquariums and of bringing nature out to people may have contribute to I want a natural looking aquarium :).

I know that BTN not is distributed in the US and therefore I choose to mention the brand. The aquarium society in Sweden is not large – of course I know the guy´s behind the development rather well – but because you can´t get it in the US I do not see this as a marketing of something. Today one of the original developers is dead and two other are retired but the company still exist and the production is still in Sweden.

The Admins can take away this if I´m breaking any rules (written or unwritten).

Almost there;)

No water yet – I decided to make all installation finished before filling water. I will also update and connect my aquarium controller before filling. Some pictures.

Drivers for the light

el.jpg

Dosing pump and GHL ProfiLux controller

el2.jpg

Controllers for the DC pumps (return and skimmer)

controller.jpg

WiFi controllers for the wavemakers

aqualink.jpg

The whole thing

hel.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, Lasse!

Since you have the DSB in the overflow, what are your plans for the sand in the display?
Any stirring or vacuuming? Or will you leave it undisturbed?
And what is your plan for clean up crew?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back