Lasses Dream Build

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying the avoid using the zip ties, and I use the 3M Velcro. The Velcro is not working and today I am going zip tie a couple of power supplies in my cabinet.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, Lasse!

Since you have the DSB in the overflow, what are your plans for the sand in the display?
Any stirring or vacuuming? Or will you leave it undisturbed?
And what is your plan for clean up crew?

It will be some sand and coarse gravel / small stones because I´m planning to have some digging fishes like Prawn gobies. IMO sand shall stay where it is and don´t be touch of human hands. If I do not get any Cyano or Cyano like mats – I will not disturb the sand/gravel.

The clean-up crew are essential for my way of thinking according to reef keeping. It will be huge and a lot of variation. Urchins, hermit crabs, crabs, snails – you name it – I´ll get it :) - including bristle worms.

Sincerely Lasse

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be some sand and coarse gravel / small stones because I´m planning to have some digging fishes like Prawn gobies. IMO sand shall stay where it is and don´t be touch of human hands. If I do not get any Cyano or Cyano like mats – I will not disturb the sand/gravel.

The clean-up crew are essential for my way of thinking according to reef keeping. It will be huge and a lot of variation. Urchins, hermit crabs, crabs, snails – you name it – I´ll get it :) - including bristle worms.

Sincerely Lasse
Very nice. You and I must be cut from the same reefing cloth. ;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again

Today I reached 34 psu and I got some LS from a friend of mine. A small nitrification filter is in use and it’s loaded with a small amount of Kaldnes K1 taken from a large nitrification filter at my work. Light is programmed and my pilot is swimming in the tank. The sump oxydator is started.

P6140002.JPG

P6150006.JPG

P6160007.JPG

During the weekend I´ll do a raid to different salt water stores in the Gothenburg area in order to get some more LS and to complete my clean up crew

No pictures of the aquarium because it’s still cloudy

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was in that flammable liquid container? HA!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am enjoying your tank development and looking forward to learning more about how your DSB will work in the final tank. Love the background and wish the product was availible here in the United States.

Maybe your friends should consider a U.S. partner or production facility in the U.S. for public as well as private aquariums. Just a thought and have a great day.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build man and the ATO reservoir with an alcohol label is awesome gotta love univar. Will definitely be following your build looks great.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all

The ATO reservoir is a recycled device from my old work. It has contain an ecological friendly liquid (basically an alcohol) for ground source heating with help of heat pumps. We are much for recycling, ecological and alternative heating in Sweden :). Sometimes I use “the vodka method” – therefore I let the label be there it was :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I did a round trip to different LFS in the sounding of Gothenburg. I come home with some LS (from different sources), some members to my clean-up crew and a stone with green hairy mushrooms. Last spring when my old tank start to mess up – I put some of my corals in a public aquarium where I work now and then. Now it’s time to get them back – I start with a couple.

I´m on day three of start-up and I always do the start-ups in certain way. I have a pilot fish – normally a maroon clown. The first week I feed every three day (only around 10 frozen adult artemia), second week – every other day with the same amount and the third week – every day with the same amount. I also put in nitrification bacteria every day – either from a commercial product or from a working filter in another aquarium. I have the light on during this period and introduce a clean-up crew as soon as possible. I introduce some corals also during the first three weeks. In this start – I will also start a refugium as soon as possible.

The scape will change when I got new corals - some stones will be taken away. Their task just now is to bring different organisms to the aquarium.

whole.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the tank has been up running for nearly a week and the first algae has establish them self’s. Some green algae but mostly diatoms in the sand.

P6220018.JPG

Now it’s time for my clean-up crew to do the job!

P6220053.JPG

P6220027.JPG

The few corals works well and the pilot thrives.

P6220036.JPG

P6220038.JPG

P6190007.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running for nearly two weeks. Everything’s works as it should. I have not start the circulation through the DSB and not the refugium yet – but it will come. I have installed two Redox probes and one pH probe. One of the redox should be placed below the DSB in the plenum. The microalgae has start to grow in the display and the clean-up crew does a great job. I have around 15 hermit crabs, 5 urchins and around 20 snails for the moment. It will be more when I find more. The pilot does great and he has got some company. A Pistol shrimp comes yesterday together with two shrimp gobies -Amblyeleotris steinitzi – probably a pair. I have not seen any activity from the pistol yet but thee two gobies has already found a place to hide. Not there I want them – in fact they are in the opposite corner to the place I constructed for them. Two red/yellow tail blennies and a Liopropoma swalesi are also introduced in the aquarium. I saw the liopropoma for three seconds – after this I probably have to wait for a couple of months before next view of this beautiful guy.

Below some pictures

Cleaning levels

levels.jpg

Talking about hitchhikers :)

hitchhiker1.jpg

hitchhiker2.jpg

Gobies

Amblyeleotris_steinitzi1.jpg

Amblyeleotris_steinitzi2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good Lasse!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @revhtree

This evening I have completed some of the tasks at my goals with this aquarium.

First a construction of an easy but effective nitrification filter. A filter mat and a pump. It will also have additional features. I like animals that filtrate, including different corals. One of the advantages with the Zeovit method are the internal cleaning of the filter each day. The bacteria film is admitted to pass out to the DT and serve as food for corals and other filtrating animals. My filter will work in the same way. I will squeeze the filter mat every evening and let the bacteria film go through the return pump and out to the DT.

Pics

bio1.jpg

bio2.jpg

bio3.jpg

For the moment I use another bio filter as a farming site for bacteria. This is my bubble coral 5 minutes after squeezing

feeding-bubble-coral.jpg

More to come

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back