OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you surly have noted – I´m in love with my clean-up crew. I want a lot of them, better to spend money on them instead of chemicals. And I want a melting pot of different species.

Some new members

snacka.jpg

hermits.jpg

Hermit-2.jpg

And a new FTS

hel.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good Lasse!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little unsure of the rock wall, but after a couple weeks of algae and life moving in it looks like it belongs.

After a couple of months - you can´t see any differences between the real rocks and the “plastic” rocks. There is also a possibility to attach corals directly to the rock wall through drilling a hole and place them there.

Looks good Lasse!

Thank you

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both

I´m only in the beginning of my aquascaping. There will be some more corals coming and I have also put in some small segments of corals in different cavities - they will hoppfull grow out some days. There is also one very small red bubble tip. I will also get some more fishes later one.

The light are 3 pcs of Coral Box Moon LED light (also known as the reef Breeders nano-light WiFi) - each containing 5W Cree White x 4 8300K, 3W Royal Blue x 5 450- 465nm, 3W Cree Blue x 2 465-485nm, 3W Red x 1 620-630nm, 3W Green x 1 520-535nm, 3W Violet x 1 420-430nm and 3W UV x 1 405-410nm - 6 channels. 90 degrees lenses.

At that moment I run 23 % white, 100 % Royal Blue, 100 % violett/UV, 100 % blue, 20 % green and 20 % red. The camera has a custom white balance. Its not more than around 100 watt electrical input. I have also a cover glass - therefore some disco effect.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back I can see that the aquarium has been working for 1 month now. With help of my small friends (hermits crabs mostly :) ) – the diatoms has leave and the greens start to establish themselves in a small scale

hermit.jpg

I did my first measurements and it shows that Mg was rather good but Calcium – a little bit low (370 ppm). Alkalinity was around 2.5 meq (app 7 KH) – also a little bit low. I always use standard salts – not the pro salts – so I will slowly take up the figures with help of Balling. Probably I will use Tritons method in the future – for the moment I use the standard Balling method.

I have not got all of the fishes I want yet – I have to found them in a store first. I have two favourites that I still not been able to catch on photo – but I see them every second day. It’s one Liopropoma swalesi and one Plectranthias inermis. As soon as possible – I try to take photos of them – but talk about shy fishes!

Meanwhile – some oldies but goodies

blenny.jpg

gobie.jpg

gobie2.jpg

And a new coral.

new.jpg

I also start my carbon dioxide scrubber today - a DIY project that I have used for a long time. Its old media but with a little bit of water - it works for a long period.

scrubber.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh cool, I love hearing about new methods (in this case your carbon dioxide reactor). Would you mind explaining in some detail how you made it, how it works, what is does exactly and how long new media will last, where to get parts/media, etc..? Would love to hear it! Thank you!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically – I filtrate the skimmers intake air through a calcium hydroxide media, normally used for recycled air breathing for divers. From the beginning – there is 20 % water inside the media – when it is gone – you need to use humid air or put some water over the media. Used in the right way – it will in well isolated rooms (like in Sweden) rise the pH around 0.1 – 0.15 units.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes do not love my Clean-up crew, especially when they do not act as I suspect. I thought that my drain system was safe for clogging of whatever. Did not calculate that 3 snails would follow the main drain pipe (the siphon) vertical up 30 cm – turn 90 degree horizontal for 6 cm – turn 90 degree vertical down for 5 cm and after this turn 180 degree and do the same in opposite direction inside the drain and down to the valve. Thanks for my emergency drain – it was not a disaster – only a lot of noise from the second drain and a low flow in the siphon.

criminals.jpg

Next problem – how get out the shells from the inlet to the valve when the valve was screwed from the backside. You can say that things was screwed up. The valve has two union joints and I disconnect the upper one. With a crochet hook I got up 2 shells (It was lucky that my two grandchildren already has gone to bed – my language was not of the official Swedish version). The last one was deep down in the inlet of my diaphragm valve so no crochet hook in this world could solve that problem. Thanks to Hubert Cecil Booth – and the invention he did back at 1901 – I solved the problem with a suck (both in reality and emotionally).

My wife comments was:

– What – Do you know how to use that thing – Why haven´t I seen that earlier in my life?

Back to the drawing board or rather – a dive deep in my “things that could be good to have” box give me a new idea for a “Clean-up crew safe construction of the outlet. But you never know :)

siphone.jpg

mounted.jpg

In the same moment that I solve the problem – my return pump start – still the union was disconnected. There was some spray of water hitting a lot of things (did I say electrical?) – including one of my power bars. So my dosing pumps, my wave makers and my top of pump did not get any electricity. Down in the most used box in my home and up with an old outlet divider. Unfortunately this means that the cabinet not looks like it did before according to clean electrical installation. My second power bar works still and I had two outlets free so my top off pump works then it will be needed.

There was some water on the floor also – but fortunately not so much – but there was a demand for rather many towels. The living room looks a little bit as it used to look after a day at the beach when all 4 children lived at home.

Otherwise – things works as it should and the aquarium is 1 month old

Sincerely Lasse

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh cool, I love hearing about new methods (in this case your carbon dioxide reactor). Would you mind explaining in some detail how you made it, how it works, what is does exactly and how long new media will last, where to get parts/media, etc..? Would love to hear it! Thank you!

There is a thread here on R2R that I tried. Here is my experience. It definitely works especially like Lasse said on closed homes (here in Texas heat is unbearable). If you don't want the DIY option there is also a BRS reactor similar to their other media reactors that does the same job. I would definitely recommend this method.

The only thing I haven't tried is what @Lasse is talking about with the water. BRS suggests water at the bottom of their reactor as well but my DIY does not allow for any. I suspect that my air is humid there because it's under the tank right next to the sump. My media of approximately 1/2 a litter is exhausted every 3 weeks or so. Maybe I need to modify the design to include a water chamber which might increase the life of the medium?

Anyway, all in all, a definite positive experience with it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back