Lasses Dream Build

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I try to have my reversed remote deep sand bed to work in a way that I want. There is two things I want to achieve.

1) a flow of around 30 - 100 litres/24 hour
2) a redox potential in the plenum of around 0

At the moment - if I programme my reversed pump to give 30 - 100 litres a day - the redox potential will be around 150 - 250 mV. I need to start the whole thing with adding some DOC down to the plenum. There is a possibility to use my Redox probe in order to manage both flow and DOC adding. However it not as easy as it look like. I have constructed a "virtual" probe that give me the possibility to use two different nominal values and programming. However - it is very sensitive - a little more than needed - large result. I have to work with the concentration of the DOC (I use Ethanol). At the moment I use around 10 %. I can´t use automatic dosing of DOC for the moment - instead I dose around 0.1 ml 10 % ethanol every other hour. Still rather large variation of my redox - to much for me. I´ll work with it. Will test different programming and concentrations.

Next level will be to make some own vegetable food for my filtrating animals. A while ago @Jomama plant an idea in my head will not - as it seems - leave my head unproven wrong or right. My wife has not been home today - it means that she will not see my creative use of kitchen stuff :)

Pictures speak for them self

start.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I will soon test this juice for my filter feeders :)

Sincerely Lasse

Also I have a new one for you too. Ask Sallstrom. He knows

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I try to have my reversed remote deep sand bed to work in a way that I want. There is two things I want to achieve.

At the moment - if I programme my reversed pump to give 30 - 100 litres a day - the redox potential will be around 150 - 250 mV. I need to start the whole thing with adding some DOC down to the plenum. There is a possibility to use my Redox probe in order to manage both flow and DOC adding. However it not as easy as it look like. I have constructed a "virtual" probe that give me the possibility to use two different nominal values and programming. However - it is very sensitive - a little more than needed - large result. I have to work with the concentration of the DOC (I use Ethanol). At the moment I use around 10 %. I can´t use automatic dosing of DOC for the moment - instead I dose around 0.1 ml 10 % ethanol every other hour. Still rather large variation of my redox - to much for me. I´ll work with it. Will test different programming and concentrations.

Next level will be to make some own vegetable food for my filtrating animals. A while ago @Jomama plant an idea in my head will not - as it seems - leave my head unproven wrong or right. My wife has not been home today - it means that she will not see my creative use of kitchen stuff :)

Pictures speak for them self

start.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I will soon test this juice for my filter feeders :)

Sincerely Lasse

Correct me if wrong, it looks like apprx. A little more than 4-5 liters per hour @ 100L

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correct me if wrong, it looks like apprx. A little more than 4-5 liters per hour @ 100L
I´m just on unsafe ground - testing me forward

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny how the size of the food can change the feeding pattern. Look especially on my thread fin cardinal how they change their hunting behavior according to prey size. And the pipefish is very skilled in picking small prey.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of snails too. There has been no problem with that. Hermits can attack dying snails now and then - never seen them kill a healthy one.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny how the size of the food can change the feeding pattern. Look especially on my thread fin cardinal how they change their hunting behavior according to prey size. And the pipefish is very skilled in picking small prey.

Sincerely Lasse

Did I tell you I get sea sick. I would be feeding those fish in the ocean.
Awsome video. When (I hope) I master the corals I'm working with. I'll start trying to master videography. I'll be right behind you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have used @Jomama crazy idea to fabricate Chaeto juice and feed the filter feeders with that juice. I had to say - after three days - it looks rather interesting. Especially my LPS have reacted in a way seldom seen before. we will see there this will end. Have not done any nutrient analyses yet. Will wait for a day or two. I have also get my reversed flow to work in a way I want but I use only a very low concentration of ethanol pumped into the bottom of the DSB. For the moment 0.1 ml 2.5 % ethanol each hour. At a wanted ORP at 0 - it give a flow around 100 litres a 24 hour. 4 litres a hour.

Sincerely Lasse

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer The Jomama Juice (now an official name :)) maybe is an idea in your heavy LPS infested tank :)

Sincerely Lasse

You mix it with RO/DI water right, not tank water? My wife has one of those presses and she will be away this coming week, hmmm....

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer The Jomama Juice (now an official name :)) maybe is an idea in your heavy LPS infested tank :)

Sincerely Lasse
Here we have a store for fresh juices, called Jamba Juice. Close in name Jomama Juice. Two J's. Live long and prosper, my friend .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back