Lasses Dream Build

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think members of the family Syngnathidae(pipefishe, seahorses, sea dragons) can get pretty old. Our seahorses are about 7-8 year for example. But many of the Syngnathidae's are sensitive and require live food etc, so I guess therefore some of them don't live very long in our aquariums.

Filefishes are great. We had one working in two tanks. Moved it between our seahorse tank and our upside down jellyfish tank. But that was a orderly fish, only ate Aiptasia and didn't touch Xenia or Euphyllia:)

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom Interested? 10 cm between legs :)

You will see tomorrow :)

Sincerely Lasse
You can get some new Euphyllia in return ;)
IMG_8386.JPG

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing my new Hanna Checker - ULR phosphate

First test 0.1 ppm; second test 0.1 ppm. Both tests done on the same 200 ml sample from the sump. Taken when photosynthesis is on top and start to decline.

I prepare a zero sample in another vial and took 6 measurements in a row. I zero with the first vial, test directly (a short press) the first test. Zero again and test again - 6 times in a row. Result 0.08 - 0.07 ppm

This version have a much longer period before it shut down. You can use one vial. Make a Zero, add reagent, shake in 2 minutes and put it into the meter for analyzes.

Now will I change my GFO and see whats happen. Goal 0.02 - 0.05 ppm

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't chase below .05, what are your nitrates?

Nitrates is around 8. I should have write the the goal is 0.05 in the morning and 0.02 in the evening. Just now the concentrations are like Roller Coasters - fast up and fast down. I did not rely on my old Hanna - will see if this model works better.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mornings PO4 results. Two test on the same 100 ml sample. 0.11 and 0.9. Repeated readings with the same test but another zero test gives readings between 0.7 - 0.1 and 0.7 -0.13 respectively. First test center around 0.10 and so do the second test too. This was a reading the morning after I add 75 g GFO and 75 g Al-absorbent to my filter.

Adding DOC to the plenum below my DSB have result in lower ORP readings down under. I add around 25 ml of 10 % ethanol

Sincerely Lasse

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse, I was going to PM you but figured my question may be tangential to your setup... (even though it is a question about my aquarium), I hope this doesn't intrude on the thread... :)

Basically, I am not sure what to do with my tank right now, but I am observing algae (and cyano) slowly gaining ground in both my display and refugium even with regular water changes.
  • it's a 23 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump;
    RDSB/RUGF in the DT with "moderate, but unmeasured" flow
  • I over feed because I have a puffer (d. nigroviridis/ GSP)
  • I recently added a pincushion urchin, 3 money cowries and 1 turbo snail to combat algae in the display
  • I have about 7 somewhat small corals that are doing "well"
  • I've generally measured low to reasonable nitrate levels. I have not tested phosphate recently.
  • Tank is 9 months old and has never grown purple/pink coralline (only some green)

• The problem: I have algae of every type growing (hair, cyano, diatoms, turf, dinos probably) where I don't want it to grow... the algae grows in my chaeto (in my sump), on the walls of the sump, on the rocks in the display, on the substrate, on the glass, on the powerhead (algae grows everywhere but the fishes). At this point, I have so much algae that fish/snail/urchin/food waste ends up getting stuck in the hair algae on my rocks. So I have to blow it off manually daily (or more).
I prefer to keep feeding heavily... but I am willing to cut back if that's what you think would help most...
The Clean Up Crew I have is doing "okay" but the algae seems to grow faster than the Crew can remove it...

I was thinking, if my nitrification filter media was working at "maximum" capacity then it could help reduce algae by forcing the algae to use nitrates instead of ammonia, thus slowing the growth, but I could be wrong in that removing the overgrowth of pineapple sponges on my ceramic media (nitrification) may not drastically improve nitrification in my tank.

I could improve my flow by forcing powerheads to "clean the rocks" continously, but I don't think that's a great idea for various reasons.

Ultimately, I don't think I have a "nitrate" problem as much as an algae problem... perhaps I should just add more Clean Up Crew? Maybe 10 snails...

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse, I was going to PM you but figured my question may be tangential to your setup... (even though it is a question about my aquarium), I hope this doesn't intrude on the thread... :)

Basically, I am not sure what to do with my tank right now, but I am observing algae (and cyano) slowly gaining ground in both my display and refugium even with regular water changes.
  • it's a 23 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump;
    RDSB/RUGF in the DT with "moderate, but unmeasured" flow
  • I over feed because I have a puffer (d. nigroviridis/ GSP)
  • I recently added a pincushion urchin, 3 money cowries and 1 turbo snail to combat algae in the display
  • I have about 7 somewhat small corals that are doing "well"
  • I've generally measured low to reasonable nitrate levels. I have not tested phosphate recently.
  • Tank is 9 months old and has never grown purple/pink coralline (only some green)

• The problem: I have algae of every type growing (hair, cyano, diatoms, turf, dinos probably) where I don't want it to grow... the algae grows in my chaeto (in my sump), on the walls of the sump, on the rocks in the display, on the substrate, on the glass, on the powerhead (algae grows everywhere but the fishes). At this point, I have so much algae that fish/snail/urchin/food waste ends up getting stuck in the hair algae on my rocks. So I have to blow it off manually daily (or more).
I prefer to keep feeding heavily... but I am willing to cut back if that's what you think would help most...
The Clean Up Crew I have is doing "okay" but the algae seems to grow faster than the Crew can remove it...

I was thinking, if my nitrification filter media was working at "maximum" capacity then it could help reduce algae by forcing the algae to use nitrates instead of ammonia, thus slowing the growth, but I could be wrong in that removing the overgrowth of pineapple sponges on my ceramic media (nitrification) may not drastically improve nitrification in my tank.

I could improve my flow by forcing powerheads to "clean the rocks" continously, but I don't think that's a great idea for various reasons.

Ultimately, I don't think I have a "nitrate" problem as much as an algae problem... perhaps I should just add more Clean Up Crew? Maybe 10 snails...
it is OK but I do not know if I have the answer. Yes I would take down the feeding for a while. add some more CUC, mostly different forms of hermits. One or two more urchins would fit into my thinking too. If the corals is going well, turn down the light - primary the intensity if you can. Do some mechanical cleanings and patience - hope this can help you.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I took away a large colony of hystrix, most of it dead and overgrown with green hairy mushrooms. I put one of my orange mushroom in its place instead

half.jpg

new.jpg

Some of my clams

clam.jpg

clam2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not sure that it is a bummer because everything is in change. I want my aquarium as natural as I can get it - it means that it will change with growth. however - if I miss my yellow ricordea and my clams - that´s a real bummer

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I´m not sure that it is a bummer because everything is in change. I want my aquarium as natural as I can get it - it means that it will change with growth. however - if I miss my yellow ricordea and my clams - that´s a real bummer

Sincerely Lasse
They say, some see glass half full, others see half empty.
Bummer for lost of the coral. Nothing else.:(

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer for lost of the coral
I understood that but it seems like some corals do not works for me at the moment. Till I understand why nothing else to do than let the ones working dominate.

Sincerely Lasse

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back