Lasses Dream Build

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kolkälla = Carbon source -> in this case pure ethanol. I use it below the DSB for denitrification
Hah! alcohol for the sandbed!
Does that weld your sand together with noticeable bacterial mat, or not enough mass of bacteria to matter?

So what are the other dosed liquids in the glass bottles?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the manual for this system is how many pages? ;)

Looking great Lasse! It'll be interesting to see the tank live for the first time today! Also to find out about your cooking skills :D (Lasses will make dinner for us colleagues tonight)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not been so active here for a short period but it has been as they say - life happens. I´m sorry to say that I have of some reasons lost my banded pipe fish. It just get shy and disappeared a couple of days later. It has been with me for more than 2 years - sad. The corals seems to feel better, I can see growth on most of them and the clams - they just grow and grow and.....

During this time - I have worked with my new cabinet and it is mostly up and running now. There is some things that will add later as a possibility to run some of the Jebao pumps on 1-10 V from the computer.

This is my switch set up for the moment

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 09.52 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 09.53 AM.PNG

The main idea is that I should be able to switch on or off every single equipment I run

Before I did this re build - I had around 20 different power adapters hanging around in my sump cabinet, in a moist and warm environment. All of my computer equipment was there to. Now everything is situated in a dry environment and a fan make it cooler.

From the cabinet

2.jpg

1.jpg

Some random pictures of details

3.jpg

This probe is the air temperature/humidity probe

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

From the sump cabinet

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Kolkälla = Carbon source -> in this case pure ethanol. I use it below the DSB for denitrification

From my probes early in the morning, light just on

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 10.10 AM.PNG

The salinity shows 33 PSU but there is some indications that it shows around 2 PSU too low. I use it as a relative source, not as a an absolute. The pH is in this morning - here is last 24 hours

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 10.15 AM.PNG

I dose Triton 3a+3b between 22:00 and 12:00 - therefore the sawtooth pattern during night

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 10.19 AM.PNG

My dosing regime.

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 11.27 AM.PNG

Pump 13-16 are pumps that I use in a virtual way. p13 is the base for my dose of Triton Core 7 3a+3b. It is combined with a timer in a Programming logic slot and manage my switch 64. my real core 7 3a+3b pump is number 3 and it is programmed to react on index 64 (switch 64)

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 11.34 AM.PNG

The flowrate of both the virtual and the real is the same (9 ml/minute) - therefor will the fill lewel be the right one for pump 3. however daily and days left will not be calculated - but I can live with that.

Pump 15 is connected to my top of pump an react to the switch that manage this pump (index 5 in my case) In this way I can know how much top of I use and how much is left. I have a larger dosing pump that is my top off pump and I have calibrate it - the virtual pump give me a good picture of how much Top Off water is left

Pump 16 is connected to the switch responsible for the flow through my DSB.

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 12.08 PM.PNG

The flow is much higher than the program admit but I did a calibration that show that my pump give me 660 ml/minute. I put in 66 ml/minute and after that use a teen factor in my calculations. if I want a dose of 800 ml - I fill 80 ml and if I read a daily dose of 11520 ml/day - I know that it is 10 times higher - around 115 l/day

Screen Shot 09-25-19 at 11.53 AM.PNG

That´s all for this day

Sincerely Lasse

Observe - you do not need all of these technical equipment's in order to have a good reef tank - but it is very funny to be a technical nerd sometimes ;) and play the whole deck of cards
I'd love to have 1% of your knowledge!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking great Lasse! It'll be interesting to see the tank live for the first time today! Also to find out about your cooking skills :D (Lasses will make dinner for us colleagues tonight)
Have you checked the museum to see if you are missing any of your larger fish? I'm guessing I know what he is serving..... :eek: :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been so active here for a short period but it has been as they say - life happens. I´m sorry to say that I have of some reasons lost my banded pipe fish. It just get shy and disappeared a couple of days later. It has been with me for more than 2 years - sad. The corals seems to feel better, I can see growth on most of them and the clams - they just grow and grow and.....

During this time - I have worked with my new cabinet and it is mostly up and running now. There is some things that will add later as a possibility to run some of the Jebao pumps on 1-10 V from the computer.

The main idea is that I should be able to switch on or off every single equipment I run

Before I did this re build - I had around 20 different power adapters hanging around in my sump cabinet, in a moist and warm environment. All of my computer equipment was there to. Now everything is situated in a dry environment and a fan make it cooler.

From the cabinet

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

From the sump cabinet

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The salinity shows 33 PSU but there is some indications that it shows around 2 PSU too low. I use it as a relative source, not as a an absolute. The pH is in this morning - here is last 24 hours

I dose Triton 3a+3b between 22:00 and 12:00 - therefore the sawtooth pattern during night

My dosing regime.

Pump 13-16 are pumps that I use in a virtual way. p13 is the base for my dose of Triton Core 7 3a+3b. It is combined with a timer in a Programming logic slot and manage my switch 64. my real core 7 3a+3b pump is number 3 and it is programmed to react on index 64 (switch 64)

The flowrate of both the virtual and the real is the same (9 ml/minute) - therefor will the fill lewel be the right one for pump 3. however daily and days left will not be calculated - but I can live with that.

Pump 15 is connected to my top of pump an react to the switch that manage this pump (index 5 in my case) In this way I can know how much top of I use and how much is left. I have a larger dosing pump that is my top off pump and I have calibrate it - the virtual pump give me a good picture of how much Top Off water is left

The flow is much higher than the program admit but I did a calibration that show that my pump give me 660 ml/minute. I put in 66 ml/minute and after that use a teen factor in my calculations. if I want a dose of 800 ml - I fill 80 ml and if I read a daily dose of 11520 ml/day - I know that it is 10 times higher - around 115 l/day

That´s all for this day

Sincerely Lasse

Observe - you do not need all of these technical equipment's in order to have a good reef tank - but it is very funny to be a technical nerd sometimes ;) and play the whole deck of cards
Absolutely amazing stuff, Lasse! You are making me feel guilty that I haven't done more to automate my system!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me guess, some type fish, got have Corona beer, don't forget the limes.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the cabinet

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

From the sump cabinet

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

My dosing regime.

That´s all for this day

Sincerely Lasse

Hey Lasse, how about giving a hand organizing my set up?

1567636166147.png

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the cabinet

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

From the sump cabinet

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

My dosing regime.

That´s all for this day

Sincerely Lasse

Excellent work Lasse... and I thought I had some GHL equipment... the powerhubs 6D’s you use, do they supply 12 and 24V dc on the output or do they step down ac from 240v to 12 or 24v ac, which you then have to transform to dc? I’d love to get rid of my transformer bricks, but this looks so complicated..

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! alcohol for the sandbed!
Does that weld your sand together with noticeable bacterial mat, or not enough mass of bacteria to matter?

So what are the other dosed liquids in the glass bottles?

The sand bed has been working for 3 years with water from the bottom and up. No clogging yet

I dos Core7, iodine, strontium, NO3 (when needed), PO4 (when needed), manganese, iron, vanadium and alcohol

Now you have been here - eating Catfish a la Lasse, roasted vegetables a la Lisa, drinking white wine, espresso and at last but not at least - an apple pie a la Lisa. Hope it was good and that you like the aquarium :)

Have you checked the museum to see if you are missing any of your larger fish? I'm guessing I know what he is serving..... :eek: :p

There was no large fish left - I had to take catfish :)
Excellent work Lasse... and I thought I had some GHL equipment... the powerhubs 6D’s you use, do they supply 12 and 24V dc on the output or do they step down ac from 240v to 12 or 24v ac, which you then have to transform to dc? I’d love to get rid of my transformer bricks, but this looks so complicated..
The powerhubs are managed by 230 V AC (120 V AC in the US I think) for the relays and communication. Each relay have a single pole switch - separate from the hub itself. This can manage the power you want. Each of the 6 relays can run separate voltage. I switch the + line for DC (or the L line for AC). In one hub - I can have relay 1 managing 12 V DC, relay 2 managing 24 V DC, relay 3 managing 24 V AC, relay 4 managing 230 V AC and relay 6 whatever. If I want - every combinations is possible.

I'd love to have 1% of your knowledge!

What i can see in your thread - you learning fast :) you are soon ahead of me.
It’s also nice when you know things are being done at the right time.

Yes - but it takes time......

Hey Lasse, how about giving a hand organizing my set up?

1567636166147.png
I fix everything - however - the impossible task take a little bit longer time ;)

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can have relay 1 managing 12 V DC, relay 2 managing 24 V DC, relay 3 managing 24 V AC, relay 4 managing 230 V AC
Thanks for this. Sorry for the questions... from say relay 1 managing 12V dc how many devices can you connect to this? Would it be possible to say run my 5 different dosing pumps?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. Sorry for the questions... from say relay 1 managing 12V dc how many devices can you connect to this? Would it be possible to say run my 5 different dosing pumps?
You could run 5 of them. Each unit has 6 individually controlled switches. So, you could have 5 of the 12VDC dosing pumps and a 240V refugium light all controlled by a single 6D.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they manage at least 10 A but I know of experiences that they can have problems with to much load and frequent switching. I run my 3 (4 heads) Doser 2 with one relay. The power unit give 5 A. the same Power unit will also run my cabinet light. If you have a power unit with enough of A - one relay probably can handle 5 units

I want to keep pipefish like yours someday. They are my favorite.

I have missed some - they are difficult - I look every day if I can see my last one

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run 5 of them. Each unit has 6 individually controlled switches. So, you could have 5 of the 12VDC dosing pumps and a 240V refugium light all controlled by a single 6D.
Brilliant thanks, sorry for my ignorance, so each power bar is supplied with 230 or 110v, a relay then sets the output voltage back into the power bar, to which you can power and control upto 6 devices? Lastly can the current be adjusted per outlet or is this set again by the relay? Appreciate your help as I cannot visualise this properly

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant thanks, sorry for my ignorance, so each power bar is supplied with 230 or 110v, a relay then sets the output voltage back into the power bar, to which you can power and control upto 6 devices? Lastly can the current be adjusted per outlet or is this set again by the relay? Appreciate your help as I cannot visualise this properly
Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Each power bar is supplied with a control voltage that handles communication and opens and closes each of the 6 relays. Each relay has no voltage on it, you need to supply whatever voltage you want to use to the relay.
Excuse the rough drawing
1569445339473.png

The 6D control power energizes an de-energizes the coil (in this case) to open and close the contact. You supply whatever power you need for the load you want to control.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Each power bar is supplied with a control voltage that handles communication and opens and closes each of the 6 relays. Each relay has no voltage on it, you need to supply whatever voltage you want to use to the relay.
Excuse the rough drawing
1569445339473.png

The 6D control power energizes an de-energizes the coil (in this case) to open and close the contact. You supply whatever power you need for the load you want to control.
Aah thanks... that really takes it out of my comfort zone... I’ll have to stick to transformers lol

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team Lasse & Lisa is the best. The catfish(from a farm that was started with a lot of help from Lasse) was amazing!
And the tank was much larger and better looking IRL than on the pictures. We all had a great evening. Not bad having dinner next to this aquarium:)

Thanks Lasse! Next time it's dinner at my place.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team Lasse & Lisa is the best. The catfish(from a farm that was started with a lot of help from Lasse) was amazing!
And the tank was much larger and better looking IRL than on the pictures. We all had a great evening. Not bad having dinner next to this aquarium:)

A couple of pictures from tonight.

King Lasse at the grill
0d315422-7b09-4ffd-9286-cb8d2e5e5a80.jpg

Food and tank
87937978-3778-4ace-82d2-2a6b254ee3c3.jpg

Some happy marine biologists on their way home..

74d68083-ebaa-42a3-8c2c-254bf6c4bd7e.jpg

0d315422-7b09-4ffd-9286-cb8d2e5e5a80.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you all hear that, dinner at Sallstrom, everyone invited. Pm me for his address. Heeee

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back