Lasses Dream Build

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m aware of the risk of cyano because my normal refugium produce some cyano in the upper layers now and then. What I´m going to test is high flow because I do not want to produce internal zero nutrient zones.

@chema What was your PO4 and NO3 concentrations when cyanobacteria took over?

Both of you - did you run the light 7/24 or reverse time period? Which flow rate?

Sincerely Lasse

Hi Lasse: by that time my PO4 concentration was between 0,1-0,2 and the nitrate between 10-15. I run reverse photoperiod. I don't recall the precise flow rate but I think it could be around 1000 l/h.

I did not have any ciano in the display nor sump, only in the reactor.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Zoramia leptacantha and I have 14. The rock you see to the left is on of my BackToNature modules. Is plastic and it is hollow. In the bottom - a wavemaker is hidden with the outlet under the "rock". The top is open and I just put my frozen food in the top - the wavemaker will dose it out during 5 - 10 minutes.
P9170011.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Zoramia leptacantha and I have 14. The rock you see to the left is on of my BackToNature modules. Is plastic and it is hollow. In the bottom - a wavemaker is hidden with the outlet under the "rock". The top is open and I just put my frozen food in the top - the wavemaker will dose it out during 5 - 10 minutes.
P9170011.JPG

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you! I understand now! That is awesome to have the power heads hidden like that. And the way you have them hidden creates the perfect way to deliver food! Wonderful! Are the power heads as accessible as you hoped they would be?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the power heads as accessible as you hoped they would be?
With use of some "proper Swedish" - it is possible to change them if they break down. However - my wife´s ears are sensitive for "proper Swedish" (and my cat´s too) - ir means that I normally not clean them - just switch to a new when any of them break down. During this 4 years - "proper Swedish" has been used for this exchange 3 times:D

Sincerely Lasse

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With use of some "proper Swedish" - it is possible to change them if they break down. However - my wife´s ears are sensitive for "proper Swedish" (and my cat´s too) - ir means that I normally not clean them - just switch to a new when any of them break down. During this 4 years - "proper Swedish" has been used for this exchange 3 times:D

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah, I get what you mean. I have what I call my magic cuss words. They are truly foul! But the magic is in the foulness and the rare use of them. My sons were recently privy to the proper and timely use of them and they were horrified!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have examined the reactor and the LED light. The LED light is not power LEDs and they are driven with a 12 V DC constant voltage adapter as fans and other equipments. Its open a very interesting possibility - it easy to dim the light with a normal potentiometer. I test with an adapter to my chilling fans that have a potentiometer on the adapter. It works like a charm. This means that together with a GHL prop controller I should be able to regulate the light through my L-ports on my GHL P4.

A new prop controller is ordered.

Edit - my word corrector succeeded to change a misspelled "examined" into the word "eliminated " - not exactly what I want to express :D

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have examined the reactor and the LED light. The LED light is not power LEDs and they are driven with a 12 V DC constant voltage adapter as fans and other equipments. Its open a very interesting possibility - it easy to dim the light with a normal potentiometer. I test with an adapter to my chilling fans that have a potentiometer on the adapter. It works like a charm. This means that together with a GHL prop controller I should be able to regulate the light through my L-ports on my GHL P4.

A new prop controller is ordered.

Edit - my word corrector succeeded to change a misspelled "examined" into the word "eliminated " - not exactly what I want to express :D

Sincerely Lasse

That sounds very interesting. The GHL prop controller is the propeller controller? As it has a 3,5 mm jack could you use it to control pumps that have such a connection in their own controller?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds very interesting. The GHL prop controller is the propeller controller? As it has a 3,5 mm jack could you use it to control pumps that have such a connection in their own controller?
I´m not sure but I do not think it will work with modern "DC" pumps with BLDC motors and sinus wave technology. the speed is not - as I understand - controlled of actual voltage - instead it use frequency controlling. But I´m not sure. I know that old Tunce stream DC pumps could be run with lower voltage than their supposed voltage (given a lower flow) - but I do not know how it is with newer models. GHL prop controller is the propeller controller and it is designed for 12 V - I do not know if it works with 24 V DC, But if you have an old voltage managed 12 V DC pump - yes it should work.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago I introduce some fishes into the DT - probably a Callogobius species. I have not seen much of them. I thought they was gone. The other day - however - I spot at least 1. Here is a very bad video of that fish - but it is a video :D I hope I will manage to take better videos of this fish in the future

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not sure but I do not think it will work with modern "DC" pumps with BLDC motors and sinus wave technology. the speed is not - as I understand - controlled of actual voltage - instead it use frequency controlling. But I´m not sure. I know that old Tunce stream DC pumps could be run with lower voltage than their supposed voltage (given a lower flow) - but I do not know how it is with newer models. GHL prop controller is the propeller controller and it is designed for 12 V - I do not know if it works with 24 V DC, But if you have an old voltage managed 12 V DC pump - yes it should work.

Sincerely Lasse

I guess you mean the controller is not only a controller, but also the power source (12 V) for the propeller. I was thinking of some pumps that have their own power source but can be controlled by means of 0-10 V controllers, so they can be ruled using Profilux. Some of them have a jack connection for the control, that's why I thought the prop controller could be used in that way.

I think the right way to do what I have in mind is to use a break out box to connect the pump to the Profilux.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the right way to do what I have in mind is to use a break out box to connect the pump to the Profilux.
Yes - it is the way I do it with my controllers see below. The prop controller is managed by a 1-10 V signal but the basic 12 V goes through it - it is like a automatic potentiometer that changes with the profilux 1-10 V signal

Sincerely Lasse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - it is the way I do it with my controllers see below. The prop controller is managed by a 1-10 V signal but the basic 12 V goes through it - it is like a automatic potentiometer that changes with the profilux 1-10 V signal

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse, very well explained and great thread. I want to try one of the new Octo Pulse 4 pumps and I'll use the break out box for the 1-10 regulation

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago I introduce some fishes into the DT - probably a Callogobius species. I have not seen much of them. I thought they was gone. The other day - however - I spot at least 1. Here is a very bad video of that fish - but it is a video :D I hope I will manage to take better videos of this fish in the future

It's great to be able to "discover" new things in your tank.That really only happens when your system is as developed as yours. Lovely fish too!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back