Latest 180 build

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Folks I've been working on a 180 tank. I'm taking my time with this and improving on my last 220 tank. So I started with is
HPIM8321.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an "old" 220 that by providence started leaking. I gave the old tank away and started with all new stuff. I have a Ghost 20 inch overflow 2 Gyre 250's at each end. I have no idea how to operate the new controller. (hey I"m old!)I have a 75 gallon sump using a Reef Octopus 10,000 return pump. I'll use the old ASM G4 X skimmer and 6 Chinese boxes for lighting. I'm patiently ( ya right) waiting for a bunch of old rock to cook. I'll be back with more details on this build as soon as I find
HPIM8488.JPG
all the pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started at the floor to the ceiling.I painted the whole room, living room, hall ,ceilings and all. New 2by4 stand built tall for an eye level view. Yes that "was" a plywood sump shown in the 1st pic. Hey back then the bucks were tight ! This tank will be for fish and a few softies and a few hardy Lps. I confess my coral keeping skills are lacking at best. I have a 75 that I have dedicated to honing these skills. Maintaining proper levels in this smaller tank is so much easier ! let's see here I can come with another pic
HPIM8417.JPG

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looks good. This hobby has definitely taught me patience whether I liked it or not as I'm sure you experience lol. Looking forward to seeing the updates. [emoji106]

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I'm having issues with multiple pics per post so please bare with me. Here is a pic of the synergy plumping
HPIM8440.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW! Looking good!!

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Folks, I have around 180 lbs of old Haitian lettuce rock from my old tank. I refuse to part with it ! I strongly suspect this rock for my algae issues in the past. I started cooking July 4th. The po4 and no3 levels were crazy at 1st but getting better. I know this will take a while. I wanted 50 more lbs of rock so today I went to see the Man ,Jason At Orange Park Aquatics ( shameless plug) and picked up 46 lbs of South Seas shelf dry base. I want to start cycling this rock while I wait for the other to cook off. I have to do something. I can't take the waiting any longer ! Anyway, I plan to fill the tank ,get the salinity right and add this base and start the cycle. Here's a pic of the Haitian I have cooking. since July. It's looking a "lot"better. That's 3 pieces weighing about 60 lbs. So now I'm off to the search to see if I should rinse or soak this dry rock before adding it.
HPIM8506.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Evening Folks, I have around 180 lbs of old Haitian lettuce rock from my old tank. I refuse to part with it ! I strongly suspect this rock for my algae issues in the past. I started cooking July 4th. The po4 and no3 levels were crazy at 1st but getting better. I know this will take a while. I wanted 50 more lbs of rock so today I went to see the Man ,Jason At Orange Park Aquatics ( shameless plug) and picked up 46 lbs of South Seas shelf dry base. I want to start cycling this rock while I wait for the other to cook off. I have to do something. I can't take the waiting any longer ! Anyway, I plan to fill the tank ,get the salinity right and add this base and start the cycle. Here's a pic of the Haitian I have cooking. since July. It's looking a "lot"better. That's 3 pieces weighing about 60 lbs. So now I'm off to the search to see if I should rinse or soak this dry rock before adding it.
HPIM8506.JPG
That's some really nice rock! I can see why you've been holding onto it!

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I now have 46.6 lbs of fancy shelf something drybase and 7 bags of Caribsea live sand Woo Woo ! Maybe an inch or so average, I will start feeding it like I do the 75. I confess to getting very sick and tried of swuishing and swapping and water changing these cooking barrels since July ! Thank the Good Lord I'm too lazy to add this rock now
HPIM8524.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Let's see here. The 2, 250 gyres decided to rearrange my sand bed. I'm sure after more rock I can calm this down some.

HPIM8526.JPG

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following for sure. I remember you from the ghost overflow thread 8 months back or so. I like the dimensions of the 180. Looking forward to seeing your build develop!

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello John ! I really like the Synergy overflows. The 20 inch model I put on this tank is very touchy on getting it quiet. The slightest adjust of the gate valve throws it all off ! I got it just about right at this time. So the rock I've been cooking ,The Po4 levels are looking pretty good now ! I have 2 barrels, just tested both . The 1st, No3< 2 Po4 .02 ! The 2nd barrel is a little higher. It's all about being patient. Don't really have anything else to add now. Just waiting. Ok so I have been feeding this tank a little everyday. Starting a cycle with the 50 lbs of drybase I have in there now.
On a side note the corals in my 75 just won't color up. I have around 20 softies and lps.a couple of sps. All water levels are testing ok accept I have no nitrates or phosphates. I suspect this is my prob or the lighting is too strong. I have one CopperBand( a refugee from the old 220 & a bunch of snails and hermits. She eats very good and has the whole place to herself. This tank has been running since last November.
Any idea on how to get more nutrients into this tank? More fish maybe heavy feeding? Sounds like a dangerous method to me. I'm afraid to over do it and end up with another Aquatic Chia Pet !

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, aquatic chia pet. I throw more rods food in when no3 is low and more pellet and flake food in when po4 goes low. It's not scirntific but its been keeping my levels from hitting zero. I also only run my skimmer in the day time.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Rod's also which I doctor up with more mysis, clam , oyster & whatever I can get like shrimp head etc. I have a really low bioload going in the 75 and run a huge skimmer. The skimmer is is kickin booty, never thought it could be stripping the water. You have to pay attention to every detail in this hobby.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about that. after a couple of years lots of this stuff comes automatically now. Seems like your skimmer is sized appropriately. I think we should all set up our tanks with the ability to strip your water to nothing. Then it's a balancing act of how fast to add and pull things out. If we don't set up our systems w/ the ability to strip the water, we risk the potential of not being able to correct issues that arise. anyways... that was enough of a tangent.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a filtration system big enough to handle a mishap. I like the concept . I have had so many probs with other setups in the past. I'm shy about adding more livestock.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a filtration system big enough to handle a mishap. I like the concept . I have had so many probs with other setups in the past. I'm shy about adding more livestock.
I'm more into corals than fish. If you cut a fish in half you can't give it to a friend and have them grow it.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I'm going with a fish dominated tank this round. I want to hone my coral keeping skills in the 75 1st !

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back