OP
OP
MichaelClark55

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that was a day from hell. Turned on the return pump for a test spin. Both pressure side bulkheads leaked. Only had them barely hand tight. They are in a spot so tight I couldn't get my hands into. Getting them out was no fun. Putting them back in was even worse than the first time. I did find a way to tighten them this time with some needle nose vise grips from the top of the overflows. Only a 1/4 turn but it felt just right.

Had to cut out the top half of the pressure side of PVC to get to them. Um, why did I not bother with unions? I will be cutting them in before this is done that's for sure!

Cranked up the powerheads, 2 new SW-8s, and 2 SW-4s. Going to leave it on full bore for 24 hours just to shake it out. Looks like a day at the beach in there.

Lights are going up tomorrow if I don't have another day like today.
dining rm side.jpg
Dining Room view.
rt side sump.jpg
My big hands were not made to fit in that space.
11602.jpeg
One side done. These are some old controllers using for mock-up. Wanted to run the wiring.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that was a day from hell. Turned on the return pump for a test spin. Both pressure side bulkheads leaked. Only had them barely hand tight. They are in a spot so tight I couldn't get my hands into. Getting them out was no fun. Putting them back in was even worse than the first time. I did find a way to tighten them this time with some needle nose vise grips from the top of the overflows. Only a 1/4 turn but it felt just right.

Had to cut out the top half of the pressure side of PVC to get to them. Um, why did I not bother with unions? I will be cutting them in before this is done that's for sure!

Cranked up the powerheads, 2 new SW-8s, and 2 SW-4s. Going to leave it on full bore for 24 hours just to shake it out. Looks like a day at the beach in there.

Lights are going up tomorrow if I don't have another day like today.
dining rm side.jpg
Dining Room view.
rt side sump.jpg
My big hands were not made to fit in that space.
11602.jpeg
One side done. These are some old controllers using for mock-up. Wanted to run the wiring.
Looks good. Wish you would've asked before gluing the bulkheads. I just slip fit mine and omitted the glue . Everything on the underside is glued, but everything in the overflows is just friction fit .

OP
OP
MichaelClark55

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New system is up and running......finally.
This thing is amazing. Sitting next to it, my wife asks if it was even running. It is whisper quiet.
This has been a journey for sure but being able to design and build all the different aspects has been a blessing.

Today didn't go without mishaps but ended well. Stabbed myself in the thumb with my very sharp knife. Super glued it, I may get a stitch or two later. After turning on the return pump for the first time the left drain bulkhead had a small leak. Cut into the wall behind some trim in the dining room and was able to access the bulkhead nut and give that 1/4 turn with the supplied wrench and bingo. Right side return line had a tiny leak. New clamp on the 3/4 flex pipe and done.

Got the C. Prolifera and LR moved into the new sump refugium and it looks great.

The flow is absolutely perfect, just what I was planning and it worked out.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New system is up and running......finally.
This thing is amazing. Sitting next to it, my wife asks if it was even running. It is whisper quiet.
This has been a journey for sure but being able to design and build all the different aspects has been a blessing.

Today didn't go without mishaps but ended well. Stabbed myself in the thumb with my very sharp knife. Super glued it, I may get a stitch or two later. After turning on the return pump for the first time the left drain bulkhead had a small leak. Cut into the wall behind some trim in the dining room and was able to access the bulkhead nut and give that 1/4 turn with the supplied wrench and bingo. Right side return line had a tiny leak. New clamp on the 3/4 flex pipe and done.

Got the C. Prolifera and LR moved into the new sump refugium and it looks great.

The flow is absolutely perfect, just what I was planning and it worked out.
I'll have your grape Montipora frag in the next week or so. :)

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a stand that will let me stack the 3 tanks. DT on top draining into 4' 33g fug draining into 55G sump on bottom. Anyone done something like that? I'm an architect and I will be designing it today. Looking for ideas. I need to leave room for large ATO storage.

Plumb rodi direct. Save room and have an endless supply of top off !!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could. My DT is in my Living Room. No way to get plumbing to rodi filter in laundry room.
Direct plumbing does make kalk addition in ATO water a bit difficult, if you planned on going that route.

OP
OP
MichaelClark55

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct plumbing does make kalk addition in ATO water a bit difficult, if you planned on going that route.
No, direct plumbing from DI filter to tank is not possible for me. This does remind me though. I want to get into dosing via pump system. I assume by the looks of your highly successful reef that you dose? Can you share your experience dosing alk, mag, and calc? I have been doing 10% weekly water changes and maintaining levels around 9-10 dkh, 450 calc & 1300 mg

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, direct plumbing from DI filter to tank is not possible for me. This does remind me though. I want to get into dosing via pump system. I assume by the looks of your highly successful reef that you dose? Can you share your experience dosing alk, mag, and calc? I have been doing 10% weekly water changes and maintaining levels around 9-10 dkh, 450 calc & 1300 mg
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say highly successful. LOL Everyone has issues from time to time.

I use a Jebao quad head dosing pump (DP-4, I believe). I make my own calcium, carbonate, and magnesium solutions from Randy Holmes-Farley's reefkeeping article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/). I also dose a homemade mixture of vodka and vinegar for nitrate control. In addition to that, I add calcium hydroxide to my ATO water, primarily for better pH control.

My calcium always runs a bit high, about 435-455 ppm. My alkalinity runs 10-11 dKh. Magnesium also runs high in the 1300-1500 ppm range. I do water changes once a month....about 30 gallons at a time. I also add trace elements manually once or twice a month.

I would highly recommend dosing as it allows a reefkeeper to spend their time enjoying the tank and performing other work instead of spending all of your time worrying about water chemistry.

OP
OP
MichaelClark55

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say highly successful. LOL Everyone has issues from time to time.

I use a Jebao quad head dosing pump (DP-4, I believe). I make my own calcium, carbonate, and magnesium solutions from Randy Holmes-Farley's reefkeeping article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/). I also dose a homemade mixture of vodka and vinegar for nitrate control. In addition to that, I add calcium hydroxide to my ATO water, primarily for better pH control.

My calcium always runs a bit high, about 435-455 ppm. My alkalinity runs 10-11 dKh. Magnesium also runs high in the 1300-1500 ppm range. I do water changes once a month....about 30 gallons at a time. I also add trace elements manually once or twice a month.

I would highly recommend dosing as it allows a reefkeeper to spend their time enjoying the tank and performing other work instead of spending all of your time worrying about water chemistry.
Awesome! When you get a chance snap a pic of the area where you keep your chemicals and pump. As big as my stand is there is almost no room left!

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an older photo. The only things that have changed is that I've added a spill pan, I now also dose vodka, and I've changed out the containers after some leaks. Other than that, the setup is the same.
DSC_0283.JPG

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!

I told myself, if mine leaks on my 120 im getting a 300g. Long as it dosen't ruin my living room and my finished basement...

OP
OP
MichaelClark55

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the livestock moved last night. All good so far. Update pictures coming. I did go out and buy one new animal. Check this guy out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back