Leaking MAR unit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger ,just recieved the new MAR unit today ,was excited,installed the unit,everything looked good.,came down a couple of hours later to check and the unit was sitting in a small pool of water,not good for my stand.on closer inspection I saw that the top seal is leaking,I unplugged and made sure the o ring was in place and tightened the screws as much as I could to no avail,continues to leak in one spot,very disappointed,shouldn't happen,please advise.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest removing the oring and then putting it back- it might be pinched. Or, using a common silicone grease on it.

Don’t over tighten

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest removing the oring and then putting it back- it might be pinched. Or, using a common silicone grease on it.

Don’t over tighten
Thank you,will give it a go,silicone grease,is there a particular brand name I can use?

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So removed the o ring,it's not pinched or kinked in any way,lubed with silicone grease placed it back,put the lid back on,not to tight and hoped for the best came down this morning and it was still leaking,I have it sitting on a towel so stand doesn't get damaged.Don't know what to do at this point.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Roger tomorrow. Whatever is needed he will take care of you. He’s the best

Contact Information
Tunze USA LLC
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda, TX 78753
Title: Managing Member
Phone: (512) 833-7546

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So removed the o ring,it's not pinched or kinked in any way,lubed with silicone grease placed it back,put the lid back on,not to tight and hoped for the best came down this morning and it was still leaking,I have it sitting on a towel so stand doesn't get damaged.Don't know what to do at this point.

Weird. Seals aren’t complicated, I’m surprised that’s happening. See any cracks in the plastic?

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. Seals aren’t complicated, I’m surprised that’s happening. See any cracks in the plastic?
Definitely coming from the seal,I watched the drops form at the seal and then roll down the side of the unit,will check where the drops are forming for cracks,something I never thought of.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko is the Tunze USA rep, and I'm sure he'll get you straightened out. I recently fought a seal on an ancient K2R calcium reactor that seals fine with "under the stand" pressure, but can't handle it from my basement. A couple things to check include burrs left over from machining the o-ring grooves and any debris on or near the seal. If convenient, you might toss a cookie sheet with a rim under the reactor until your issue is resolved.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko is the Tunze USA rep, and I'm sure he'll get you straightened out. I recently fought a seal on an ancient K2R calcium reactor that seals fine with "under the stand" pressure, but can't handle it from my basement. A couple things to check include burrs left over from machining the o-ring grooves and any debris on or near the seal. If convenient, you might toss a cookie sheet with a rim under the reactor until your issue is resolved.
Thanks for the advice,like the cookie sheet idea

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is strange, every unit is leak tested from the factory, the only way I have seen the o ring leak is if only the magnetic closure is used and the hose has a kink so back pressure forces water out. Generally only the magnets are enough to seal it water tight and the screws are just for security when used externally. Is it possible it is leaking from where the acrylic tube meets the top flange? It seems that some units we believe were overpressurized in the pressure test and the seams where the plates were attached cracked. This test is done with compressed air. Can you please email me or message me your receipt so we can get set up in case we need to replace the body?

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is strange, every unit is leak tested from the factory, the only way I have seen the o ring leak is if only the magnetic closure is used and the hose has a kink so back pressure forces water out. Generally only the magnets are enough to seal it water tight and the screws are just for security when used externally. Is it possible it is leaking from where the acrylic tube meets the top flange? It seems that some units we believe were overpressurized in the pressure test and the seams where the plates were attached cracked. This test is done with compressed air. Can you please email me or message me your receipt so we can get set up in case we need to replace the body?
Yes, it's leaking from where the tube meets the top flange,that's where the drops are forming,I've tried everything since last Thursday but it's still leaking,I'll forward you the relevant information.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Roger,I don't think that message went through correctly, did you get it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back