Leaking Red Sea fittings please help

CameronA29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so long story short, I set my reefer 170 up last night just to find the fitting where my return line connects is leaking..I took it apart and seems that someone put black RTV or silicone on the bottom side of the nut all though I feel as if there’s supposed to be some sort of flat o-ring there. Maybe not, im new to this so I wouldn’t know. I am going to pick up the o-ring replacement kit today and put all new rings on the plumbing however I don’t know that that’s the fix, please help if you’ve ever dealt with this issue…. See pic to see where it’s leaking

802B3D0C-77E3-4DBB-948F-A61923E60574.jpeg

AndrewJG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the back black nut had any gasket but it's hard to remember from over a year ago.

There should be a gasket on the other side which seals the aquarium water in the overflow, the back nut just clamps the joint together.

I do know that you should only had tighten them, as I researched it before I fitted mine and found people had over tightened using plumbers mates which can crack the plastic and then they never seal. I think the RED Sea instructions mention not to over tighten them.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

CameronA29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say gasket on the other side are you talking about the red o-ring?

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the leak coming from inside the black bulkhead? Or from outside the bulkhead?

My reefer 250 leaked from inside those three bulkheads when I took everything out for a rebuild. I found replacing the orings on the pipes that twist into the bulkheads fixed my leak. Red Sea sells a replacement o-ring kit part# R42187.

If it's leaking from outside the bulkhead, I believe they are siliconed in-place from inside the weir. I don't know how to help if that's the case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back