Leather coral ID?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a carnation coral? It's a photo from many years ago, and I no longer have the coral unfortunately. It met the eventual demise of falling behind the rocks, and for the life of me I could not find it when I looked. It was sold to me as an "anus coral" (sorry moderators, anatomical!) because it sucked into its stalk at night, leaving a puckered bump. No arms or polyps were visible when it did this. I doubt this is even a common name for it though - probably just a sales name. It might be non-photosynthetic, but it did tend to open during the day. It also did not survive getting lost in the darker areas at the base of the rocks. Any ideas what it could be? The LFS received one shipment of them, and the LFS is no longer around. They were all white bases with black or dark brown polyps. I'd love to find another one day if I could just identify it. A carnation coral of some type is my best guess.
Black leather coral.jpg
Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Christmas Tree Soft Coral is also referred to as the medusa coral. It’s usually a shade of brown, tan, or gray.
It is a peaceful coral but will need space between others and itself in the reef aquarium to avoid accidental contact of sweeper tentacles and the fact that it will often increase and decrease in size.

OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch guys! That's it! Now to try and find another in black and white....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back