Leathers not doing well

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So Ive had my first reef for about 3yrs now and I did a lot of crap. I finnaly got all my mistakes out of the way and the tank seems alright. Its about 15g, 2 clowns, 1 goby and clean up crew. The parameters are finally spot on but still my 4 leathers dont seem very well. They have been threw a lot but i thought by now they should be thriving. Id like to jear your opinons on what could be stressing them and what should I do!
P_20181230_173153.jpeg
P_20181230_173158.jpeg
P_20181230_173109.jpeg
P_20181230_173401.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters like? What kind of lighting are you using?

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters like? What kind of lighting are you using?
Alk around 9
Calc 400-420
Nitrates 0
Phosphates- dont have a test for it
Ph-test is crappy but its about 8
The light is a SERA Precision with a blue led in the middle, its also not the best but according to my lfs it should do to house softies!
1546193850248.jpeg
1546193877875.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that it is not enough light to support photosynthesis, which is probably the reason your leathers are a bit bleached. I would try to upgrade the light soon. Depending on the size of your tank, a halfway decent black box led would probably do wonders, make sure it is a dimmable light though because you can overdo it with leather in regards to light.

I'd also run carbon on the tank and change it out weekly to deal with the bio-toxins leathers can release when stressed.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 0 nitrates?In my tank, I can't get them below 20.And leathers are doing great

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that it is not enough light to support photosynthesis, which is probably the reason your leathers are a bit bleached. I would try to upgrade the light soon. Depending on the size of your tank, a halfway decent black box led would probably do wonders, make sure it is a dimmable light though because you can overdo it with leather in regards to light.

I'd also run carbon on the tank and change it out weekly to deal with the bio-toxins leathers can release when stressed.
Thx for the advice, i just upgraded to this light because the last light i had which came with the tank was the worst. This crap cost 70$. I do run carbon 24/7. Ill see what i can do. Also need to do water changes, havent done one for a month or so(this because i was dosing to buff alk and my nitrates are 0 so my lfs told me i didnt need to do so many water changes).

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 0 nitrates?In my tank, I can't get them below 20.And leathers are doing great
Not sure, nitrates are something i dont play much with, kind of scared. Im leaning more towards the light, but if the light doesnt work out then ill take a look at that. Thx for the advice.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back