Leaving on a night light? During a intentional tank blackout.

ZoaKiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL:DR can/should I leave a very low wattage "night light" on during a blackout to reduce the likelihood of my fish from accidentally swimming into an anemone?

So I have, something (algae/Dinos/whatever*) that I am planning on doing a 3 day blackout for.

Last time I did a blackout I lost a perfectly happy and healthy diamond goby.

After lights back on it was no where to be seen at all, no corpse no nothing and the tank was 100% covered for the blackout so I know it didn't jump and there were 0 fish in the tank capable of preying on it. My best guess is that it had an unfortunate run in with one of a number sand bed level of anemones I have in the tank in the darkness.

Now I have 4 fish that dwell at sandbed level all or most of the time so stakes are even higher.

My tank is around 80 gallons but with a smaller 30x30" LxW footprint.

My plan this time was to use a very low wattage incandescent or led beta light (or similar) to allow the fish to see in the darkness but not put off high enough PAR to defeat the purpose of the blackout.

Can anyone think of any downsides to this approach or any other solutions?

*I'm waiting on a microscope to make a definite identification.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't necessary. The fish will be fine, it's defeating the purpose of total blackout.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a night light kinda makes a blackout pointless. Nuisance algae and dinos will use whatever light is available to them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back