OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Great looking aquascape!!!

Thanks! Spent about 2 hours messing with it including digging through a literal ton of rock at my LFS. Luckily they gave me a table and free range to create. Which made it easy to set up when I got home. Definitely having a blast with it. Kids love it and ask about the fish every day. They are growing impatient and its only day 3 haha.

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the scaping you did there. I've got the same tank and love it. One of the best upgrades for it is to go with the InTank media basket, since the built-in filtration is not very good.

Ive seen those media baskets and they are very nice. For the time being I'm going to have to make due with the stock basket as my number 1 priority is getting a RO/DI system but that will certainly be on the list of purchases. For now Im going to use it like Ive seen people use the aftermarket baskets. Ive got a few media bags and will run a filterfloss, carbon combo. I certainly dont plan on runnin the stock filter for long. They seem over priced and the water honestly doesnt run over the filter very well. The forward portion catches most and the rest just kinda gets trickled past.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen those media baskets and they are very nice. For the time being I'm going to have to make due with the stock basket as my number 1 priority is getting a RO/DI system but that will certainly be on the list of purchases. For now Im going to use it like Ive seen people use the aftermarket baskets. Ive got a few media bags and will run a filterfloss, carbon combo. I certainly dont plan on runnin the stock filter for long. They seem over priced and the water honestly doesnt run over the filter very well. The forward portion catches most and the rest just kinda gets trickled past.

I would agree that the RODI unit would be by far the most important purchase. When I first got mine, I 3-D printed a media tray for it, that I used a couple of months before I bought the InTank unit.

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that the RODI unit would be by far the most important purchase. When I first got mine, I 3-D printed a media tray for it, that I used a couple of months before I bought the InTank unit.

Nice! Did you have to put any type of tank safe sealer on the tray you 3D printed?

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research ive come across varying perceptions of how many fish is too many in the 32 gallon Biocube. Along with certain size to gallon conversions. Id love to hear from people who actually have the BioCube 32. How many fish do yal have in your tank? Not that I plan on over stocking, just curious.

Below is all I have in mind. I figure maybe 1 or 2 more fish after these and that's about all the tank can handle. However, I have no clue what fish to get as far as what gets along with clowns or gobies?

Clean up crew
2 clowns
1 goby

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research ive come across varying perceptions of how many fish is too many in the 32 gallon Biocube. Along with certain size to gallon conversions. Id love to hear from people who actually have the BioCube 32. How many fish do yal have in your tank? Not that I plan on over stocking, just curious.

Below is all I have in mind. I figure maybe 1 or 2 more fish after these and that's about all the tank can handle. However, I have no clue what fish to get as far as what gets along with clowns or gobies?

Clean up crew
2 clowns
1 goby
Right now we have 3 in ours.
2 clowns
Yellow goby
Might do a trio of chromis

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Youll find that all of the people here are amazingly nice and incredibly smart. I as well have a 32 bio with the led upgrades as one of my 3 currently running set ups. I would first of like to congradulate you for making a step forward into the hobby. Please dont take what im about to say as chastisement, but consteuctive critism to help direct you in the proper direction. Back up. Skip the whole tap water routine. If you know you should be using ro/di water, then cycle properly with rodi rather than tap. Of course you have been advised of the metals and alloys in tap and how dangerous they can be to your salt water set up. Ive seen you mention a few corals. Ive also seen you mention questions about maximum load on fish. Heres my best advice beyond slowing down and starting with rodi...where as you can usually order a small rodi for about 60 bux or buy gallons of it from you lfs. If youre new to the hobby your lfs may even give you the rodi water with the knowledge that he is potentially gaining a new customer. Next decide where you really want to be with your tank. If you want a fowlr tank or of you want corals. I will advise you on the fish aspect that the small protein skimmer that you purchase for the biocube does not add enough oxygen into the tank for most fish to live. Blue damsels will do ok but your clowns and tangs will certainly starve for air and potentially die after a few days. If you add an air stone to increase oxygene then you have to worry about salt creep. If youre wanting to go coral only or coral and some fish...then decide if you want to go lps sps or soft polyp. Just starting out i would advise sticking with soft polyp. Mushrooms, gsp, zoanthids, palys etc. Simply because you dont have to worry so much about dosing for calcium and magnesium and other chemicals not to mention your lights. Even tho i upgraded to the led lights, i never use them. Instead i use a 2 bulb t5 set up amd a kessil a160. The t5 is good for growth and the kessil is good for appearance. Make sure you run carbon in your run off. Instead of using the prepackaged carbon youd be better off getting a media bag and filling it with carbon and laying it across the tray. This will keep your water cleaner and also keep air born contaminates from getting into your water. No aerosols. Tell your wife to unplug the glade and throw the air fresheners away....or its gonna get real expensive for you because all of your stuff will die from contamination. Always wash your hands with alcohol before and after you pitnyour hands in your tank. Decide what type of corals you want and what you want to ultimately accomplish for your tank but donit for you, not because your lfs specializesnin something and he says do this or that. You can always order online or go to a different fish store. Make it your hobby and the way you want it and you will enjoy it more. Keep salt on hand and do water changes regulaurly. On average 20 to 30 percent every 2 to 3 weeks if you have no fish. If you have fish change out about 5 to 8 gallons a week. Make sure the water you put in is the same salinity and temp as the water you take out so you don't stress your coral and or fish. I strongly advise against any type of anemone for your bio cube unless you get a rock anemone. Rock anemones stay small and move very little. Normal anemones...bta...carpet nems..etc. sting other corals not to mention a 32 bio is not near enough room for a nem. Keep your rock from the glass enough that you can get your cleaner magnet past the rock. There area few types of cleaner mags. The mag float is a good one but youll also want the little round one with the plastic ring in it. Its good for getting the coraline algae off the glass when the mag float wont. If youre going to put corals in, get you a 24" t5 set up atleast. A kessil isnt really needed. It was just my personal preference. A quarantine tank isnt a bad idea but if you cant do it at first atleast get some coral dip to clean parasites and anything harmful on your corals off. Zoa pox is common and can wipe you entire wallet out fast. Research your fish and makensure they dont eat corals. Dog face puffers are so incredibly cute and affordable....but will eat every mushroom and zoanthid and paly in your tank....in minutes. And its funny....they always go for the ones that cost you the most first. Once you get set up and cycled down, hit me up and ill send you a wwc sunkist bubble mushroom just to say welcome to the hobby.
20180825_221244.jpeg
20180813_214936.jpeg

20180813_214936.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal anemones...bta...carpet nems..etc. sting other corals not to mention a 32 bio is not near enough room for a nem.

Blue damsels will do ok but your clowns and tangs will certainly starve for air and potentially die after a few days.

Shhhh, ;Stop what ever you do, don't let my 7 nems and clownfish hear this....right now I have them fooled. ;)

IMG_20180925_180807.jpg

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhhh, ;Stop what ever you do, don't let my 7 nems and clownfish hear this....right now I have them fooled. ;)

IMG_20180925_180807.jpg

Yeah but youre doing a nem only tank..which looks great. Try putting chalices or acros in there and those nems would eventually sting them to death. What are you using to add oxygene to the water of i may ask

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife skimmer, although I think is pretty useless I think it helps somewhat. Other than the Icecap 1k and Steve's LEDs it's all stock. But I don't use the stock filters. They tend to clog to fast IMO.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back