LED BioCube 32 Setup!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife skimmer, although I think is pretty useless I think it helps somewhat. Other than the Icecap 1k and Steve's LEDs it's all stock. But I don't use the stock filters. They tend to clog to fast IMO.
I do agree they will sting other corals.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen those media baskets and they are very nice. For the time being I'm going to have to make due with the stock basket as my number 1 priority is getting a RO/DI system but that will certainly be on the list of purchases. For now Im going to use it like Ive seen people use the aftermarket baskets. Ive got a few media bags and will run a filterfloss, carbon combo. I certainly dont plan on runnin the stock filter for long. They seem over priced and the water honestly doesnt run over the filter very well. The forward portion catches most and the rest just kinda gets trickled past.

Welcome and congrats on the new tank.

I stayed with the stock media basket and use Purigen as my chemical skimmer. Nano skimmers don't work well, compared to the regular size ones. Here is a thread for converting the bottom of the stock media basket into a refugium basket.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/32-biocube-refugium-stock-media-basket.425469/

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree they will sting other corals.
Lmk when you want some more nems inhave some really nice ultras and i have a gorgeous colorado sunburst about to split. They are 100 percent legit. Aquired from BSA corals. On rare things, always buy from a reputable source or someone that can prove lineage. Ive seen alot ....ALOT of fake sunbursts jere lately.
20180912_011510.jpeg
20180815_000815_006.jpeg
DSC_0275.jpeg
image.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lmk when you want some more nems inhave some really nice ultras and i have a gorgeous colorado sunburst about to split. They are 100 percent legit. Aquired from BSA corals. On rare things, always buy from a reputable source or someone that can prove lineage. Ive seen alot ....ALOT of fake sunbursts jere lately.
20180912_011510.jpeg
20180815_000815_006.jpeg
DSC_0275.jpeg
image.jpeg
Beautiful nems! I will show the wife, but she wants corals again.
We have a few corals for the 32 in qt. Plan to thin these down to 1 in this tank and 1 in our 144.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the scaping you did there. I've got the same tank and love it. One of the best upgrades for it is to go with the InTank media basket, since the built-in filtration is not very good.
What exactly do you mean by this statement? Details please.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180912_011510.jpeg
20180815_000815_006.jpeg
DSC_0275.jpeg
image.jpeg
What size tank in the pic? Looks massive

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful nems! I will show the wife, but she wants corals again.
We have a few corals for the 32 in qt. Plan to thin these down to 1 in this tank and 1 in our 144.
I have other things as well. Large selection of high end chalices, montis, zoas, palys and shrooms. Currently i have 10 different bounces, a few differnt eclectus, anout 45 differemt zoas...im not a store just a collector that lokesntonjelp other people out so inoften do quite a bit of trading

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank in the pic? Looks massive
Its a 300 gall with a 40 g frag tanked piggy backed on to the same system. Currently i use a ruby red trigger, a nyos skimmer, 3 3100 power heads, 4 programmable wave makers, a 6 bulb t5 amd 4 mars led lights. Alo ng with other stuff but i shouldnt be texting and driving. Shhhh

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research ive come across varying perceptions of how many fish is too many in the 32 gallon Biocube. Along with certain size to gallon conversions. Id love to hear from people who actually have the BioCube 32. How many fish do yal have in your tank? Not that I plan on over stocking, just curious.

Below is all I have in mind. I figure maybe 1 or 2 more fish after these and that's about all the tank can handle. However, I have no clue what fish to get as far as what gets along with clowns or gobies?

Clean up crew
2 clowns
1 goby

For me I have three. Two clowns and one bangaii cardinal. Also have a large cleaner shrimp (there since the begining), nems that I have to keep removing :) and a tux urchin. The nems and urchin have better success in an older tank. nems were introduced about 8 months, the urchin about month 16. The tank will be 2 years old in January. Since I used live sand, I now have hundreds of snails that all come out when it's time to eat. It's so cool.. Tkae you time and have fun :)

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somethinq else: That's all great advice and I certainly dont take offense to any of it. Ro/Di system will be ordered in the next few days so that will no longer be an issue.
"Once you get set up and cycled down, hit me up and ill send you a wwc sunkist bubble mushroom just to say welcome to the hobby." That's awesome! I really appreciate It and ill definitely be in touch once everything gets stabilized. Thanks for all the great info. This forum is not what I'm used to. Usually I end up leaving forums or only using them for information once I see how the majority of the members are. This experience has been great so far.

hdsoftail1065: Ha ha. Nice! Honestly that's similar to the look id like to achieve. Love those long tentacles.

RedReef87: Sounds like a good combo. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis McGrath: Are you referring to the brand "inTank" Media Basket for Oceanic and Coralife Biocube? Those aftermarket baskets are nice.

Flexin: Sweet. Thanks! Good info on the refugium as well.

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhhh, ;Stop what ever you do, don't let my 7 nems and clownfish hear this....right now I have them fooled. ;)

Disregard this. Just looked again at what you said and saw you upgraded the lighting.

Forgot to ask. Did you upgrade your lighting?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard this. Just looked again at what you said and saw you upgraded the lighting.

Forgot to ask. Did you upgrade your lighting?
The nems done fine in the stock lighting. As a matter of fact we have had luck in the older Biocube 29 with bulbs and the 32 led with nems. She wanted the upgrade for corals.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nems done fine in the stock lighting. As a matter of fact we have had luck in the older Biocube 29 with bulbs and the 32 led with nems. She wanted the upgrade for corals.
That is...if your thinking about a nem.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back