OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good! don’t you just love this tank? i’m used to big reef tanks but i love my bc32. have you purchased and rodi or upgraded lighting yet?

Thanks! Yea, this thing is a blast. The kids absolutely love it and every day they asking me to "come look at this". This tank is the perfect size for our needs and skill level. I haven't purchased a RO/DI system like I had previously mentioned. My LFS sells salt water and fresh water super cheap and for the size of this tank, I really can justify building a system to make my own. With the live rock and sand in the tank there really is probably only like 25 gallons in the tank. With a 10-15% water change every 2 weeks its not all that expensive just gettin the water from them. Best part is, it only takes about 3 minutes to get the water from them instead of hours making it ha ha.

As far as lighting goes Ive left it stock. I may purchase "Steves LED's" in the future but at around $300 I'm not in much of a rush. And honestly the whole reason I bought the tank was to get soft corals and or anemones which provide a ton of movement in my tank. I love the sps corals but I really dig a tank that has a ton of movement. In about 4 months we will probably get a BTA. For now we have the GSP and ill probably buy a torch or xeina next week to add a little more movement. Funny, people say xeina and GSP are like weeds. To me the flow and movement they provide is stunning. So ill just keep try and keep them controlled.

Next up is a power head next and another heater. I realized that my 5 gallons of saltwater I had was 70 degrees in the bucket and I'm sure the tank wouldn't have enjoyed me dumping that on them. So i had to take the heater out of the tank to heat it up real quick. Which surprisingly didn't take long at all. And the tank didn't budge on temp.

What fish do you have in your tank?

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few shots of the dudes

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea, this thing is a blast. The kids absolutely love it and every day they asking me to "come look at this". This tank is the perfect size for our needs and skill level. I haven't purchased a RO/DI system like I had previously mentioned. My LFS sells salt water and fresh water super cheap and for the size of this tank, I really can justify building a system to make my own. With the live rock and sand in the tank there really is probably only like 25 gallons in the tank. With a 10-15% water change every 2 weeks its not all that expensive just gettin the water from them. Best part is, it only takes about 3 minutes to get the water from them instead of hours making it ha ha.

As far as lighting goes Ive left it stock. I may purchase "Steves LED's" in the future but at around $300 I'm not in much of a rush. And honestly the whole reason I bought the tank was to get soft corals and or anemones which provide a ton of movement in my tank. I love the sps corals but I really dig a tank that has a ton of movement. In about 4 months we will probably get a BTA. For now we have the GSP and ill probably buy a torch or xeina next week to add a little more movement. Funny, people say xeina and GSP are like weeds. To me the flow and movement they provide is stunning. So ill just keep try and keep them controlled.

Next up is a power head next and another heater. I realized that my 5 gallons of saltwater I had was 70 degrees in the bucket and I'm sure the tank wouldn't have enjoyed me dumping that on them. So i had to take the heater out of the tank to heat it up real quick. Which surprisingly didn't take long at all. And the tank didn't budge on temp.

What fish do you have in your tank?

not many at all. pair of clowns, orchid dottyback and starry blenny. also have a cleaner shrimp, some snails and btas. there’s a link to my build thread in my signature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not many at all. pair of clowns, orchid dottyback and lawnmower blenny. also have a cleaner shrimp, some snails and btas. there’s a link to my build thread in my signature.

Nice. Just checked out your tank. Skullz are sweet.

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice biocube! Really like ours as well. Wish our fire shrimp would come out more, we only see it at feeding time.

Thanks! Yes, for the price compared to what you get the biocube setup is hard to beat. I looked at tanks for about a year before we pulled the trigger on this. Our shrimp loves hanging under the overhang. And there really isn't another place for him to hide from the lights besides for the overhang, so its perfect for us. When I'm feeding he goes crazy and will basically jump on my hand and the turkey baster we use.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question. How do I add my build to my signature block? I tried and failed to figure it out on my own. Thanks!

copy the link to your build page, then click on your profile then signature. then type the description you want, then highlight what you just typed, then click on the link icon. paste the link. if you need photos let me know!

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copy the link to your build page, then click on your profile then signature. then type the description you want, then highlight what you just typed, then click on the link icon. paste the link. if you need photos let me know!

Must be a Gold Member or up option? I have the link option when I make posts, but dont see the link option on my signature block menu. Thanks for the help anyhow.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a Gold Member or up option? I have the link option when I make posts, but dont see the link option on my signature block menu. Thanks for the help anyhow.

A link in your signature does require an upgrade to supporting member.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great! Glad you and the family are enjoying it. I have a blood shrimp in my 65 and they are notorious for hiding!! Glad you can enjoy yours. That is one invert I honestly will not buy again, I might as well as tape a $50 bill under my tank stand, lol.

OP
OP
cjwb2012

cjwb2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great! Glad you and the family are enjoying it. I have a blood shrimp in my 65 and they are notorious for hiding!! Glad you can enjoy yours. That is one invert I honestly will not buy again, I might as well as tape a $50 bill under my tank stand, lol.

Ha ha. It was literally dumb luck that he is out as much as he is. Spent alot of time planning my scape to alleviate too much hiding of fish. But I certainly lucked out with where he lives. He has also established the spot with a hole as a cleaning station which is cool to see him clean the blenny. The firefish wants nothing to do with the shrimp. The blenny and the shrimp are bro's for sure. When he first started cleaning the blenny I heard my son screaming. He thought the shrimp was eating the blennys brains. Hilarious.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back