LED FELL INTO TANK!

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it happened. As I was cooking dinner I heard a 'splash' and I thought one of my fishes had jumped out. Luckily I was right there when I saw my light had fell in. I have/had an AI 16hd. ;Meh I grabbed it quick, it was probably in there for just 5-6 secs but it did dunk, so thats that. I took it apart and dried it out as best I could and left it in a bag with rice for the night. The reason I'm mad is bc the flex arm I was using shouldn't of fell off. If you look at the pics it looks like the rubber part just slide off. Not too happy with the craftmanship on this. I called AI this morning and they said to send it in bc I only bought it 4 months ago. So it looks like I might be sending to them. But what I wanted to know is if anybody has any success stories after their lights fell in?? Did you ever get them to work afterwards? And how long can my corals go without light? I'm going to assume it's going to take at least a week to return and then possibly fix or replace. Maybe longer. I'm going to also ask around if anyone has an extra anything I can borrow for a week or so in the meantime. I'm new to the hobby so I don't have any backups yet. But after this I will!!

Screenshot_20201026-112246_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20201026-112126_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for this experience, so you have coral in the tank that will die because of this?
I'm not sure. If I can't find another light to use temporarily while mine gets fixed i don't know how long they could go with no light. I know the fish will be fine but I'm pretty new to the hobby ( 4 months in) so I'm not sure about my corals. The corals have been doing really well so far so I would hate to see them start to deteriorate. ;Bookworm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely toast and unfortunate to hear
There are a few decent ones in R2R marketplace

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear!

Where are you located? I've got a pair of Kessil A360W's just sitting around waiting for me to need them. If you are close by you'd be more than welcome to borrow them.
Hey thanks, I'm in the Boston Area. If local that would be cool! Thank you.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG SWEET 9LB. BABY JESUS IT WORKS! I didn't have high hopes for thing but I really went in last night with q-tips and cloths drying every single chip, it might have actually helped. Wow I'm shocked. Well I'll let you guys know if it lasts the night I think I might be ok here. If not then I'll send it in. I'll let u guys know whats up!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG SWEET 9LB. BABY JESUS IT WORKS! I didn't have high hopes for thing but I really went in last night with q-tips and cloths drying every single chip, it might have actually helped. Wow I'm shocked. Well I'll let you guys know if it lasts the night I think I might be ok here. If not then I'll send it in. I'll let u guys know whats up!
That’s great news!!!!
Like mentioned above, it wouldn’t hurt to have a backup, especially with live corals. Amazon does have some fairly inexpensive black boxes.
Also glad you didn’t get tossed across the room when you reached in the water to retrieve it.

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For how much they charged for those lights, you would think that they would put some basic waterproofing on them! My lfs regularly calls me to repair lights that have been water damaged, and that brand in particular are what my industry would call "Chinese junk".
I would suggest that you leave them unplugged and carefully open them up. If you are lucky, they freshwater dip followed by a toothbrush to remove any corrosion might get the lights to work again. Make sure that you let it dry fully before reassembling it.

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything worked out. I didn’t see it mentioned but for anyone else fishing a led out of the tank, make sure you unplug it first...

good thing it wasn’t a black box...

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got the AI prime, I was looking at the new Maxspect Jump series for lighting. I like the look and the size, I might still be getting one if my light doesn't last at least for a backup. Does anyone have feedback on that particular led? Or what are some other good options for my 70gal cube. (Also, I have a waterbox and I'm finding it difficult to find a light stand that fits in the middle bc my filter blocks it) I've heard Kessil and Radion seem the front runners. But I'm trying to not have to sell my first born child to buy one of these things  ;Bored

16037562379124188544306758157310.jpg

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12BA036A-E48D-4DA6-9D8C-AC90EF7E7732.jpeg

CC2F2C41-AF7F-4CC7-A3A3-AE4607CF0A72.jpeg

I agree with a few posts here that you may experience short life. The pic above is a 1947 Crosley Radio I’m fixing. You need to use Isopropyl Aclohol and a Q Tip or something like De Oxit. Things can short out fairly fast.

Glad it’s working but I would pull it a part. Be careful and let it dry out thoroughly. Not hard to do. Just be very mindful of the board. Compressed air wouldn’t hurt. But it you may not have to do anything the issue is that light has seen more exposure to salt and minerals in a dunk then it would of under your sink. I’d clean it.

They are definitely splash proof or resistant. Their designed that way but the boards aren’t. If it went into your tank. Grab the tools clean the boards and wires let dry and run it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back