LED FELL INTO TANK!

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not many comments about ai prime longevity.
Perhaps they haven't been out that long.

I've found Kessils to have the same problem. I doubt and of the other "premium" brands have even the most basic of protection.
I have a LEDZeal CBB that I've dunked several times over the past 4 years. I've had to replace a single fan. All of the diodes are working great. Grows corals great. If a CBB "gets it" then what's everyone else's excuse?

It's kind-of ridiculous that the "premium products" don't even have a minimum amount of protection. If you expect something to be in a "damp" or "wet location" you want to ensure it has a silicone conformal coating. We use it for everything in the LED sign industry, or you'll pay for it in warranty calls, and these are for components that we don't EXPECT to get wet, because they're in a cabinet! We coat them for "just in case"!

I don't expect the aquarium light industry to change I suppose. Just more "shimmer" or another app. Meanwhile, I'm going to be stocking my tank with the coral I exchange for saving a $500+ light

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it happened. As I was cooking dinner I heard a 'splash' and I thought one of my fishes had jumped out. Luckily I was right there when I saw my light had fell in. I have/had an AI 16hd. ;Meh I grabbed it quick, it was probably in there for just 5-6 secs but it did dunk, so thats that. I took it apart and dried it out as best I could and left it in a bag with rice for the night. The reason I'm mad is bc the flex arm I was using shouldn't of fell off. If you look at the pics it looks like the rubber part just slide off. Not too happy with the craftmanship on this. I called AI this morning and they said to send it in bc I only bought it 4 months ago. So it looks like I might be sending to them. But what I wanted to know is if anybody has any success stories after their lights fell in?? Did you ever get them to work afterwards? And how long can my corals go without light? I'm going to assume it's going to take at least a week to return and then possibly fix or replace. Maybe longer. I'm going to also ask around if anyone has an extra anything I can borrow for a week or so in the meantime. I'm new to the hobby so I don't have any backups yet. But after this I will!!

Screenshot_20201026-112246_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20201026-112126_Photos.jpg
As long as it was not turned on when it fell in there and as long as you take the screws out open it up and let it sit and dry for several days before you put it back together and try and turn it on it will continue to work I had an aI prime fuge light it was brand new fell in my refugium as I was setting it up let it dry out for a couple of days and it works just like it should every day for the last year straight

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For how much they charged for those lights, you would think that they would put some basic waterproofing on them! My lfs regularly calls me to repair lights that have been water damaged, and that brand in particular are what my industry would call "Chinese junk".
I would suggest that you leave them unplugged and carefully open them up. If you are lucky, they freshwater dip followed by a toothbrush to remove any corrosion might get the lights to work again. Make sure that you let it dry fully before reassembling it.
this is how i feel about my planted tank light although it isn't that expensive

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back