LED History

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using LED's since high school, LED's are around for a very long time, digital watches, remember those :) anyway this is an educational thread, I am looking to learn the steps LED's have taken to upgrade to what we have today. Looks like LED's will probably take over, even if there is a new invention of bulbs like plasma etc. it would be too expensive. So if you know about LED's post some notes and more important whats available today including heat sinks and where to order. I may just built one myself since I already built ed the driver 2000W peak at 220VAC 1500W at 110VAC:) I am only using it to charge battery's now :)
I am using the LM317 voltage regulator from Radio Shack and 4 20A transistors to have a variable output. This thing is massive and weights about 50 pounds.

DSCN3801.jpg

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a basic diagram but i used mt own more simple, basic materials some 1000 mf capacitors, LM317 and 3055 transistors, a full wave bridge rectifier, all from Radio shack, the transformer would be the most expensive part, pick that up from a electrical supply house or home depot, you are looking for a 1000 to 1500 w 12v transformer ac.

http://www.pocketmagic.net/wp-conte...-30V-variable-high-power-supply-6-20A-max.jpg

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hahahahahahahaah weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to make a prediction.. you say LEDs will take over.. I agree to a point.. they will become the primary light source for our hobby for a little while, but they will be replaced within the next 10-15 years with something even better, OLEDs, which seem to be doubling in brightness every 6 months now. It won't be long before they are bright enough to replace LEDs. At that point instead of worrying about heatsinks, drivers, individual LEDs, you will just have a sheet of paper you hang above your tank and plug into the wall and you will have a "virtual sky" above your tank where you can have real looking weather, true dusk/dawn settings, heck, you can even have the sun and moon moving over your tank on the OLED screen.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, LEDs. Are you finally coming around, or just upping your posts :) LOL I would not reccomend building your own driver. It sounds fun, but 1500 watts will drive aorund 450 3 watt LEDs at 700 ma, now that is a big fixture, plus the issue with 1 driver is loss of controllability. LEDs are all about controllability and efficiency. You will want a minimum of of 2 controll channels, and if you are going diy, the sky is the limit. You will want the widest spectrum possible, and do not skimp on the diodes. Crees are more expensive, but they last, and they are really bright. Bridgelux is just behind crees, they last a few years less, and put out less, but they are way more cost effective. Plus, they are available in the 400-420nm spectrum, a key piece that most fixtures lack, so a mix of brands is optimal. As for heatsinks, I love the drilled and tapped ones from reefledlights, they make it way easier to do, if oyu want a bare heatsink, heatsinks usa is the place. Always go with an aluminum heatsink, they are efficient, and will not rust. If you need to know anything else, just ask, I would be happy to help.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plasma lights already exist...just fwiw
Plasmas are okay but, a, you cannot adjust there output color, you can use blue glass, but still, that isn't the same. b, if one bulb goes, you are out a ton of cash. If you drop the fixture and it breaks, that a lot of money. c, the whole concept is still very expensive, and hard to find too. I am looking forward to a solution to these problems in the future.

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your post count would only count if you post it in the appropriate forum this is clearly not a diy thread.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your post count would only count if you post it in the appropriate forum this is clearly not a diy thread.

Doubt it, he has alot of misplaced scattered stuff and still gets points for it Im sure since he is one of the top qualifiers each week. FWIW I really don't care about the ATO it takes me 2 seconds to top off manually... I just think its stupid people can't put in a solid effort and be intelligent about stuff. If you have to try to cheat to win a $200 piece of equipment that isn't even really needed thats kinda pathetic IMO.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it, he has alot of misplaced scattered stuff and still gets points for it Im sure since he is one of the top qualifiers each week. FWIW I really don't care about the ATO it takes me 2 seconds to top off manually... I just think its stupid people can't put in a solid effort and be intelligent about stuff. If you have to try to cheat to win a $200 piece of equipment that isn't even really needed thats kinda pathetic IMO.
Well i thought this thread was appropriately placed as its obviously a diy Frankenstein driver (pun intended). Your post however have really detracted from the OP thread and will hopefully get removed by mods.

BTW very cool driver! Not very practical but very cool none the less.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back