Led light mounting in canopy?

CKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up a new tank with a canopy, wondering how everyone mounts their lights?

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not mounted mine yet.. However I plan to build a frame the length of the tank and the width of my lights, lining the underside of the frame with an aluminum sheet and then mounting my lights directly to the aluminum sheet. I have a hodgepodge of lights consisting of DIY led, a nanobox duo and 4 T5s. The aluminum will serve dual purpose as a reflective surface and heat sink.

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Hydra 26. I cut openings a 1/4 inch larger than the light all the way around. I used aluminum flat stock and
drilled holes in stock to mount them to the existing holes in the top of the light. I simply set them in the holes I cut so they are flat with the top of the canopy. They get plenty of air flow and release some of the heat that builds up under the canopy.
Even if I changed lighting the holes are good for venting.
I also have 2 Orphek OR2 Bars to the very front and back of the canopy. The lights are mounted using the stock brackets.

OP
OP
C

CKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Hydra 26. I cut openings a 1/4 inch larger than the light all the way around. I used aluminum flat stock and
drilled holes in stock to mount them to the existing holes in the top of the light. I simply set them in the holes I cut so they are flat with the top of the canopy. They get plenty of air flow and release some of the heat that builds up under the canopy.
Even if I changed lighting the holes are good for venting.
I also have 2 Orphek OR2 Bars to the very front and back of the canopy. The lights are mounted using the stock brackets.
any photos? I will be running 2 hydra 26s

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. The bolts are 10-32 thread.

Canopy Hydra Top.jpg Canopy inside.jpg

myakuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,
I am looking to do something similar on my 220 waterbox but in pvc board. i dont think i have the skills to do it my self on such a large tank, especially if my only option is wall/ceiling mounting bc the tank is rimless. anyone know of a company that could help?
much appreciated

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back