LED Lighting Schedule

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched the forums and couldn't find anything more recent than 2010. LEDs have changed quite a bit since then I think so lets revisit this topic. Since I've changed to LEDs from MH (due to heat problems) I've been running my LEDs maxed out at 60% blue, 45% white. I have a Reefbreeders Photon 48" fixture (less than 6 months old) hung about 7" above the water level. My schedule started at 6am at about 3% b 0%w, ramped up to 60% at noon and stayed at 60% until about 8pm and then went back down to 3% until midnight when it shut off completely. Some recent research has led me to believe that was a ridiculously long schedule and that it should really be no longer than 12 hours. I found this schedule on the Reefbreeders site and initiated it today. It uses an Excel spreadsheet to calculate the natural progression of light based on your input for the desired max blue and white intensities. My coral didn't see to be unhappy with what I was using, but I also wasn't seeing a tremendous amount of growth either. Maybe this will allow me to ramp up a little higher in intensity since I'll be staying at that intensity for a shorter period of time. Also, will shortening the lighting schedule by 4 hours cause any issues? Thoughts?

Attachments

• schedule.jpg
    schedule.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 624

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this and thought figure ten was interesting - indicates an eight hour curve, and what may be a steeper curve. I don't find a lot of actual sun attenuation data. Tons of aquarium lighting curves, but...... Just interesting. Not sure that it's worth much.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back