LED Tuning Spectrum experts

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
88E2F2BE-21A3-48DA-BFF9-219DEC22E142.jpeg
So I’m tuning my Hydra 52 to this spectrum for SPS Corals what do you guys think?
how do you select the led wavelength for the hydra? I can not seem to find their led wavelength spec.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Someone put a LOT of work into that. Looking through the options, it's obvious that the programmer is familiar with spectroscopy, with boxcar smoothing and degree viewer selections. But I'm wrestling with what exactly this is telling us. It appears absorption peaks of chlorophylls, fluorescent and chromo- proteins are indicated by colored arrows at the bottom of the graph, and a score is generated for overall performance, and I'm not at all sure how this is determined. My critique: Zooxanthellae contain chlorophylls a and c2, not b as indicated in the legend. While this might not make much of a difference when making computations, it is not correct (this is a pet peeve of mine - c2 not b! I reset the calculator from 'Fresh' to 'Reef' and chlorophyll b remained on the chart.) As far as I can tell, a major accessory photopigment - peridinin - is ignored. You guys likely know this already, but for the sake of those who don't, peridinin absorbs light up to about 550nm, and this absorption of green light makes zooxanthellate appear brown. Hence, UV-A to green, and some red, are bandwidths critical to zooxanthellate photosynthesis. As for the fluorescent and chromo- proteins... There are probably thousands of fluorescent proteins in nature, (with a few hundred formally described) and they greatly vary in their absorption and emission spectra. The difference between peak absorption and emission spectra is called the Stokes Shift, and some are fairly tight with a difference of only a few nanometers while others have a shift much greater. Perhaps this program ignores many of these and looks at only those with abs of 420 to 520 nm. There are far fewer non-fluorescent chromoproteins described due to their lack of relevance in the biotechnology field (these are the blue, purple, reds we see on Acropora - and others' - growing tips.) They preferentially absorb certain bandwidths and reflect others. For instance, if a chromoprotein absorbs red wavelengths, it might appear blue. If it absorbs blue wavelengths, it could appear purple or red. I admit that I played with the calculator for only a few minutes, and there may be ways to modify the chart that I missed. As it stands for me, at this moment, this calculator is of limited benefit but I have a open mind and my opinion can be swayed. I'm feeling feisty - let's debate!

OP
OP
dave57

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana thanks for chiming in, as far as the overall spectrum I’m trying to achieve with my led lights, do you believe it would benefit my corals much more than just having a bluish windex look vs a more whiter look as seen on the graph I posted?so basically the more variance in spectrum (wider) and not narrower peaks will allow for more colors to become absored and refleced In turn creating different colors being reflected. If the spectrum was indeed limited by only one type of led let’s say blue, would the corals reflect any other colors besides blue?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana thanks for chiming in, as far as the overall spectrum I’m trying to achieve with my led lights, do you believe it would benefit my corals much more than just having a bluish windex look vs a more whiter look as seen on the graph I posted?so basically the more variance in spectrum (wider) and not narrower peaks will allow for more colors to become absored and refleced In turn creating different colors being reflected. If the spectrum was indeed limited by only one type of led let’s say blue, would the corals reflect any other colors besides blue?
A broadband spectrum is probably best for these reasons: 1. Protective xanthophylls (diadinoxanthin and diatoxanthin) absorb blue light and do not transfer this energy to photopigments such as chlorophyll, peridinin, etc. and their protective actions are more apparent in blue light, although red light also induces the protective qualities of these pigments albeit not as vigorously. 2. Some green light is absorbed by peridinin and hence photosynthesis. 3. Chromoproteins reflect only some of the light falling upon them. Blue chromos disappear in the 'windex' look of heavily blue spectra, and there isn't enough red to reflect either. Red light is most efficient in promoting zoox photosynthesis as long as we don't over do it (at least in the PAM fluorometer testing I did.) 4. Fish, too, reflect light, and those fishes with colorful markings are more attractive in broadband light. To answer your question, any colored object (coral, fish, etc.) can only reflect light falling upon it. Fluorescence is another matter entirely, and depends upon many things, such as absorption and emission spectra, fluorescent yield, etc.

OP
OP
dave57

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Eiji Myorin, a user of UPRtek MK350, And creator of the blog spectra 1.023 created this app and obtained spectral analysis of all the info he has on his app.. he also dives and takes his spectrometer with him underwater.. he also creates his own LED bulbs, he is from Japan

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Eiji Myorin, a user of UPRtek MK350, And creator of the blog spectra 1.023 created this app and obtained spectral analysis of all the info he has on his app.. he also dives and takes his spectrometer with him underwater.. he also creates his own LED bulbs, he is from Japan

I believe this tool are mainly to calculate the led/light combination and its spectrum outcome. Not particular calculating the spectrum we can tune on our built lighting system. (ie: hydra 52)

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The production of protective pigments (mycosporine-like amino acids -MAAs, that protect against UV radiation below 350nm - and xanthophylls which can regulate the rate of photosynthesis) are in response to dosage of UV radiation (though we should note they (MAAs) can be obtained thru diet) and visible light energy. Their production is similar to production of melanin by humans in response to sunlight. My point being that spectral quality is important for photosynthesis, but intensity cannot be separated from it. In particular, the xanthophyll pool has been positively correlated to light intensity - that is the amount of xanthophyll produced is in response to high light, and naturally is not produced if not needed. This could well account for some bleaching episodes - it isn't the adaptability of the zoox clade to light intensity, it is the loss of protective pigments due to long-term exposure to low light and loss of protection. I've heard of Mr. Myorin from Ofir at Orphek. Apparently they have collaborated on light found at depth and its relationship to zoox requirements and have attempted to incorporate this into their lighting fixtures.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can be so slow sometimes - it occurred to me that a lamp's rating on based on spectrum of a chosen depth. I can see that could be helpful if that's what you're using this calculator for. Caveats still apply, but it's pretty cool.

OP
OP
dave57

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife tells me, just quit messing with the lights that’s why they aren’t thriving you keep moving stuff around..”thinking to meself... you’re probably right..” as I change my spectrum to all blue/violet..
I just want what’s best for the corals I’m so indecisive of what would be the best possible settings for my Hydra 52.. feeling frustrated lol...
Currently at 100%blues/uv/violet/royal blue
0% whites/ reds/ greens
Getting about 200 par above acros.. Dmitri the guy featured on the AI website says he runs his schedule like this.. I couldn’t believe the colors he gets from his high end sps

I also spoke with Mr. Eiji Myorin he gave me a excel spreadsheet a spectrum simulator for the Hydra 52HD and told me to tweak my settings to
100%uv/violet
20%red/blue/royal blue/
50%green/white
I told him that only gave me 100 par above my corals.. he said I would either need to lower the light or buy more leds. I thought to myself hmm the spectrum looks very sunny lol
A52FF719-521F-413B-B5CB-0299474CEF8D.jpeg

AAB3F49C-5FFB-4A11-A276-21A743085D9E.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this tool are mainly to calculate the led/light combination and its spectrum outcome. Not particular calculating the spectrum we can tune on our built lighting system. (ie: hydra 52)
My wife tells me, just quit messing with the lights that’s why they aren’t thriving you keep moving stuff around..”thinking to meself... you’re probably right..” as I change my spectrum to all blue/violet..
I just want what’s best for the corals I’m so indecisive of what would be the best possible settings for my Hydra 52.. feeling frustrated lol...
Currently at 100%blues/uv/violet/royal blue
0% whites/ reds/ greens
Getting about 200 par above acros.. Dmitri the guy featured on the AI website says he runs his schedule like this.. I couldn’t believe the colors he gets from his high end sps

I also spoke with Mr. Eiji Myorin he gave me a excel spreadsheet a spectrum simulator for the Hydra 52HD and told me to tweak my settings to
100%uv/violet
20%red/blue/royal blue/
50%green/white
I told him that only gave me 100 par above my corals.. he said I would either need to lower the light or buy more leds. I thought to myself hmm the spectrum looks very sunny lol
A52FF719-521F-413B-B5CB-0299474CEF8D.jpeg

AAB3F49C-5FFB-4A11-A276-21A743085D9E.jpeg

Stability is the key. I would used someone's setting that is proven to be working. Here is the setting link from DD. Hope this help.
https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/light-presets-hd-ai-lighting

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the coral lab settings the same percentages as far as for the Hydra 52?

Yes, I run a ReefBreeders Photon V2 and I mimic the same settings for my channels. I also saw a video on reef Breeders that Jason Fox likes the blues and he runs his tanks with that blue look

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This application is a great tools for lighting DIYer. Briefly went through it and it helps a lot on bulb choices (LED especially) and if the spectrum curves is trustworthy, as a DIYer myself I would give it a big thumbs up.

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to see you guys leveraging these technologies.

Dave57, looking at the pic of your tank & reading here, seems that your best bet is to set and forget the light and focus on parameter stability and other facets of your system.
I have 1 hydra 52hd over my frag tank and ati 8x54 sunpower over display, all acropora.
I found the saxby setting to be effective in growth and very nice in color results

http://www.aquaillumination.com/signature/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back