LEDs. Forever controversial?

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5+LED works amazing. My main complain with LED is shadowing and the t5 works great for a diffused light source to help eliminate some of that.

I recently added supplemental T5 to my tank for 3 hrs a day for my peak period. It lets me set my lights for best coral growth and color because of the spectrum shift for peak times. With the big increase of light it really drives growth.

Depending what species of SPS I do get some shading but it really depends on the growth form. The T5 and LED combo quickly got rid of shading for me on the few I had issues with. I do note faster growth but it is to be expected with an extra 320 watts. lol

Ahgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on the Atlantik V3+? I've read really good reviews. Has anyone here used them?
ba3e1f14ae71e742a69acdfb7f058cf0.jpg

Ahgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorta in the same boat as your cousin. I'm a newer reefer and while I'd like to use a T5 + LED setup, but there isn't any setups out there you can do this on (that I've found) that look decent over a rimless tank. My ceilings are high + my wife would not let me suspend them from the ceiling anyway. I'm not handy enough to come out with something on my own either, and while i'd love to do a reefbrite T5/LED setup it just wouldn't look to great over a rimless tank even if I figured out a way to mount it.
This is what I bought to solve my high ceiling problem. But then again I am going with only Led. Good luck.
e6290088c918399a1e9258b621a9467f.jpg

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20160323_14_26_28_Pro_LI (2).jpg WP_20160323_14_26_41_Pro_LI (2).jpg WP_20160323_14_27_11_Pro_LI (2).jpg
I just ordered mine. I've heard good things. It'll be here in a few weeks. [emoji3]
I have the version 2.1b two on a 6 Ft long tank. Here are a few pictures of just a couple corals taken with my cell no editing. Having trouble seeing just had cataract surgery, things are still blurry only been one day.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite hard to take a pic of a tank with LED. In pictures it looks a little over saturated like someone messed with it but in person the colors are actually quite close to the picture. At least with mine.

Depends, i take most of my photos with an iphone and the blues are always over saturated.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, i take most of my photos with an iphone and the blues are always over saturated.

The BlackBerry does the same. Besides it is best to see the tanks in person as I feel pictures just don't do them justice anyway. :)

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting on my 2x24 t5 retro kit to come in today. Ordered up E5 blue pop and then Blue+ and purple+. After about 2 years of running it2040 I am finally going to run some par testing on LED alone, LED+ E5's, LED+ T5's.

For the price and reefer on a budget I have been more than satisfied with the it2040 and would absolutely give it a thumbs up. Would I like a top line led "of course I would not mind a hydra 52 or Radion G3"
Is there shadowing on my SPS no question in my mind absolutely. Are the colors on my corals as good as they could be? Heck no. Is it just because of the LEDs? I highly doubt it but that is just my opinion. I would be pleasantly surprised if this was the ultimate issue.
Another reason I am adding the T5 is the noticeable growth pattern of my acros reaching toward middle of tank.
This is only an IM 38 so the IT 2040 should cover it(but again I never did get par...kick myself in ARS)

I have a Garf that will be my main test specimen since the shadow effect seems so evident on it. However there are many Acro in my tank so will have an abundance of test subjects.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I bought to solve my high ceiling problem. But then again I am going with only Led. Good luck.
e6290088c918399a1e9258b621a9467f.jpg
That is a good looking light. Who sales them, I can't find a price. Also, how is the color refraction (disco effect)?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they only do direct sales? Interesting. Maybe that is why I haven't seen much about them.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, etc. sell Orphek products. They just aren't as big a name, I suppose.

Ahgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they only do direct sales? Interesting. Maybe that is why I haven't seen much about them.
They do direct sales and alot of national aquariums. You can go to their website or email the owner Scott @ [email protected]
Tell him Aaron Godwin sent you and he'll take care of you. :)

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks. I will look into it. This looks like it may be perfect for a 48x18 rimless we are building.

ZoaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone doubting the possibilities of both colors and growth with leds hasn't seen Jourdy's thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jourdys-90-gallon-mixed-reef.149662/page-21

The only thing I don't like about him is he never is home to enjoy his reef. :p I mean, if I had that tank, I would be calling in sick to stay at home and sit in front of it for hours! :p And his leds are old!

Ahgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone doubting the possibilities of both colors and growth with leds hasn't seen Jourdy's thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jourdys-90-gallon-mixed-reef.149662/page-21

The only thing I don't like about him is he never is home to enjoy his reef.[emoji14]I mean, if I had that tank, I would be calling in sick to stay at home and sit in front of it for hours![emoji14]And his leds are old!
Holy crap! It doesn't even look real! It looks like a painting... When my tank grows up it strives to be this tank! (O_O)
b0d537991c9f8660a092c92a9943bf45.jpg

Tweaked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have to prove they work or care for that matter? Do you have investments in the tech? Just grow out your tank with whatever equipment you want and share the pics of fish and coral. Don't need to know about your equipment used.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have to prove they work or care for that matter? Do you have investments in the tech? Just grow out your tank with whatever equipment you want and share the pics of fish and coral. Don't need to know about your equipment used.

Aside from you....I've yet to meet a Reefer who doesn't want to know what other reefers are running. Not a need but a want!
Definitely don't believe the OP is out to prove anything as you not so eloquently put it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back