Left lights on for 2 days

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! All my Corals are looking shriveled and Unhappy (mixed reef). My water chemistry is spot on reef target with an ICP result to back up my claim. Alk 10, ph 8.2, Ca 420, although I recently had several alk mistakes that haven’t helped anything but all are back to normal.

Looking at photos and notes the problem starts with accidentally leaving my leds on for a 2 day period November 16th. My LEDs are 6 3w Crees and supplements to my t5. Not too strong, But right after that my rfa, zoas, plates, shrooms and anything soft is shriveled or inflating strangely. My lps don’t seem to mind except encrusting lps is shriveled. My acros looked the same till my alk incident but are all alive.

After the lights were left on some rusty reddish algae popped up, but that’s gone now. What can I do for these corals to reset or fix them? Is a blackout period okay? At this point I’m surprised anything is alive.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been over exposed. You can't undo it, just give them what they require and they'll come good.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF that was really the problem, I think your should just let the normal schedule run it's corse and it should be ok.
I had forgotten my T5s on once for more than 24 hours on but have absolutely no problems. LEDs are different though, and you left for 2 days.
Just observe them and let it go.
If you really want to do something in regards to the photoperiod you could reduce 2 hours/day for like 4 days, then increase it one more hour/day, and then back to normal in a week. Not necessary though.
Just make sure you won't change anything for a while. Just feed the fish...
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice to post some before/after pictures for the sake of future searching about the subject...
Grandis.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually noticed that the corals do well after a day or two with no lights. They will be in sleep mode the lps (shriveled) you could say. They will come back with no issues.

OP
OP
Ghxst

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the Duncan’s, zoas and mushrooms look similar

0AB0BD89-D83F-4447-BE8C-C82AC6D10B19.jpeg

OP
OP
Ghxst

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the issue they looked like standard Duncan’s as they should look. I don’t have any pictures that show just one coral. I’ll try and get a before and after tank shot

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they don't bleach out just leave'em alone, or drop an hour or 2, like I posted before...
Not necessary...
Better just relax.
Now... those small polyps are having a hard time and it's probably a low light and/or flow issue...
Grandis.

OP
OP
Ghxst

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they don't bleach out just leave'em alone, or drop an hour or 2, like I posted before...
Not necessary...
Better just relax.
Now... those small polyps are having a hard time and it's probably a low light and/or flow issue...
Grandis.

They are all the same size, those are just retracted. They all open up in the a.m. and shrink starting with the back ones to front. There are about 30 heads. Same flow for the last 7 years (except for a small increase, see below), an MP40 on reef variable in a 30g display at 15-20%.

Now that you mention flow, before the lights were left on I was experimenting with increased flow and I kicked up the front corner of sand. That is most likely the reason for the reddish algae outbreak in hindsight. The lights may have nothing to do with the issue thinking about the crap a sand storm released. Thanks for getting me thinking! It’s been a really rough past 4 months with family stuff.

All in all I really F up here. Flow, lighting, alk was all tampered with leading to a shyte storm. I’m just going to let it ride, it’s almost if they all need to acclimate back to the conditions.

OP
OP
Ghxst

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before, October
Now, last night

Lots of stuff was put in my other tank, so far I have 2 acros That are stning. The rest looks like garbage.

Same light, same camera

2D5561D6-9E30-44A4-9034-49F8C6619C06.jpeg

0B580F13-0F4A-40C7-A125-E298CF6A6E95.jpeg

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your lights on a controller/timer? I didn't see you mention it. If not, maybe it's time to start thinking about it?

OP
OP
Ghxst

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your lights on a controller/timer? I didn't see you mention it. If not, maybe it's time to start thinking about it?

Haha, yeah. Ironically It’s the controller that keeps letting me do these stupid things. I was showing some friends my tank late at night (whipped out the phone to do it on an app) and didnt switch it back.

I need some idiot proof code like if >22:00 led off, no matter what.

And for the first time in a month look who’s open!! I just need to tell the world I screwed my Corals over and maybe they are forgiving me. They don’t look happy but it’s better than yesterday.

EAC103A8-6CF8-4141-9EFB-B26CDD0443DF.jpeg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to remove the LEDs and have a nice T5 only system?
What is the light set up that you've got now?
How many T5s can you fit over your tank?
Grandis.

OP
OP
Ghxst

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is essentially a T5 tank. The tank is a RDM 130D, I retrofit a German LED light into the hood with the stock T5 to reach acro level lighting. My PAR and PUR values are fitting (375-80 up top) to where I have stocked the tank. My next build will have mainly t5, some mh and a tiny bit of led. This led is 27w, it only boost par by 50-75 uptop and 10-20 below. Nothing spectacular or super strong.

At this moment I’m not thinking of adding or changing anything, just going to save it for the next, hopefully giant, build. But I totally would knowing what I know now, if the tank was a little younger.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back