Lemonpeel angelfish

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my all time favorite angelfish. A no-no when I ran my reef but I've gone FO and I can consider them again.

I prefer to keep fish as pairs or groups where possible and I understand they live in pairs/small harems in the wild. However, I realise Lemonpeels are not popular in reefs due to their coral eating but I'm hoping some of you have succumbed to this fishes beauty.

Have any of you kept more than a singleton in a tank, if so how many. Were they compatible did they 'pair' or 'harem' or was it just tolerance.
Any other thoughts or pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

ANDREW PRITCHARD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the lemon peel

I've got a coral beauty and flame angel together in myn
I introduced them both at the same time and never had a problem
I was told not to put 2 of the same together as they would fight
Not sure how true that is

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the lemon peel

I've got a coral beauty and flame angel together in myn
I introduced them both at the same time and never had a problem
I was told not to put 2 of the same together as they would fight
Not sure how true that is
With care and patience it is possible to 'pair' some dwarf angelfish. Currently I have a pair of coral beauties in the tank and in the previous incarnation of my tank had a small harem of flames (but they had to go because of the coral predation).

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did fall for their charms and ordered two- one large, one small/medium. The LFS guy went to the wholesalers and got me these little beauties;Drool

They immediately settled and are inseparable.

I had a single that chewed corals so was removed, is that c. brachypus in there, like your style?! :)

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not exactly the same situation, but I currently have a lemon peel and flame in a tank they mingle just fine. I used to have a pair of flames together too without any issue.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the lemonpeel and am putting up with one in my reef. Pair of flames and a potters.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a single that chewed corals so was removed, is that c. brachypus in there, like your style?! :)

Yes I think its brachpus, if it starts to get out of hand I pull it out and pass it on to a friend who has a large tang tank. But I shake it over a bucket first, the amount of life in it is unbelievable.

Big fan of the lemonpeel and am putting up with one in my reef. Pair of flames and a potters.
Let us know how it goes Although lemonpeels get a lot of bad press in reefs I don't thing they are much worse than some of the other dwarf angels.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think its brachpus, if it starts to get out of hand I pull it out and pass it on to a friend who has a large tang tank. But I shake it over a bucket first, the amount of life in it is unbelievable.

My tangs and fox face go nuts for it. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it goes Although lemonpeels get a lot of bad press in reefs I don't thing they are much worse than some of the other dwarf angels.

I’ve had it for close to three years .... so I already know how it went LOL. My standard response to questions about the reef safeness of angels is thus: if you’re going to freak out with every little nip, don’t get one; but if you can stomach some nipping then go for it. I am a huge fan of the lemonpeel, tend to view myself as a fish first reefer, so I’m quite sanguine about nipping. Does it reduce PE .... yes! Does it limit my coral selection .... yes! Do one of my angels occasionally decide a particular colony is delicious .... yes! But I can deal with all of those.

Lemonpeel is certainly more prone to nipping than my other angels, dwarf or otherwise (maybe emperor excepted); but in a large tank with large colonies, the damage is mostly contained. It did decide suddenly, per the point above, that my ponape birds nest was irrsistbale and mostly ravaged it. But some tips remained and it has grown back. I think of it as natures pruning. My bigger problem, frankly, is that my emperor angel explores any newly added frag, and in the case of chalices, often eats them.

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been curious about the Lemon Peel but as I have a reef I won't touch one since they are arguably one of the worst gambles for Dwarf Angels and Corals. I have had a Flame (had to boot for aggression and repeated nipping) and have had a Coral Beauty in my tank for 2 years. Pairing is a whole other issue however, and it would take me finding a pair at my LFS before I would ever think about it. My Coral Beauty certainly wasn't pleased with the prospect of another CB. See how he took to his mirror reflection. :D

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been curious about the Lemon Peel but as I have a reef I won't touch one since they are arguably one of the worst gambles for Dwarf Angels and Corals. I have had a Flame (had to boot for aggression and repeated nipping) and have had a Coral Beauty in my tank for 2 years. Pairing is a whole other issue however, and it would take me finding a pair at my LFS before I would ever think about it. My Coral Beauty certainly wasn't pleased with the prospect of another CB. See how he took to his mirror reflection. :D

I also have a pair of Coral beauties in the tank, it was a bit of luck, I went into a LFS and in one tank were two coral beauties. They seemed to be interacting and not fighting. I asked the owner about them and he said 'oh great. I'll get a net and move one before they kill each other' I asked him to leave it for a while, I watched the tank for about an hour and the fish seemed very comfortable with each other so i bought both- The LFS owner said 'don't blame me when you have to separate them to stop them killing each other' They have been together in my tank now for 6 months:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back