Leopard Blenny

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens when you don't read @Jay Hemdal NOPE list.. The LFS got me on this being a rare one-off-colored African algae blenny. Hed been eating frozen brine, scraping at algae and made it through copper treatment, eyes were clear, nice and active so I decided to plop him in my tank.. It wasn't until the next day that I really started digging around to find another one like him. As soon as I saw Leapord Blenny, I knew it was bad. If this guy really was reef safe, he would be a very popular fish in our hobby, I definitely didn't just get lucky and find some cool color morph no one else has. That leads me to here, there's no way I'm catching him in a 400G reef full of PVC and rock, so up comes the trapping method. I made a swing door out of an old lifeguard reactor and filled the back with SPS frags and nori, if anyone else has a suggestion I'm all ears!

Blenny1.JPG blenny2.JPG blenny3.JPG Trap.JPG

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I tried for like 5 mins with 2 big nets, there’s no way.. this dude never takes his eyes off ya, I’m going to try an figure out where he sleeps tonight, might be another option.
Might need a second set of hands (and nets). So these guys like corals, inverts...?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens when you don't read @Jay Hemdal NOPE list.. The LFS got me on this being a rare one-off-colored African algae blenny. Hed been eating frozen brine, scraping at algae and made it through copper treatment, eyes were clear, nice and active so I decided to plop him in my tank.. It wasn't until the next day that I really started digging around to find another one like him. As soon as I saw Leapord Blenny, I knew it was bad. If this guy really was reef safe, he would be a very popular fish in our hobby, I definitely didn't just get lucky and find some cool color morph no one else has. That leads me to here, there's no way I'm catching him in a 400G reef full of PVC and rock, so up comes the trapping method. I made a swing door out of an old lifeguard reactor and filled the back with SPS frags and nori, if anyone else has a suggestion I'm all ears!

Blenny1.JPG blenny2.JPG blenny3.JPG Trap.JPG
Glad it’s doing well for you! The Hawaiian ones were what I mentioned, perhaps the East African ones are hardier? The Hawaiian ones are obligate corrallivores. It was the retired director of the Waikiki Aquarium (Bruce Carlson) who suggested they be listed as “to avoid”.
Jay

OP
OP
FishSkedee

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need a second set of hands (and nets). So these guys like corals, inverts...?
He already found a safe zone, there's a 4" pvc ripped in 1/2 under my aquascape (future eel cave) little guy darts straight to it. Ya they are listed as obligate corallivore, literally eats SPS, SMH this fellow should not be causally chilling in an LFS, and I should not be putting unknown fish in my tank lol - dude tricked me saying it was a color morph Hes never seen.

OP
OP
FishSkedee

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it’s doing well for you! The Hawaiian ones were what I mentioned, perhaps the East African ones are hardier? The Hawaiian ones are obligate corrallivores. It was the retired director of the Waikiki Aquarium (Bruce Carlson) who suggested they be listed as “to avoid”.
Jay
So far, he is awesome, but that just because I haven't transferred my SPS into this tank. Im trying to trap him with some frags and bring him back to the LFS, I feel bad he was ever pulled from the reef and sold into the hobby..

MarineGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, he is awesome, but that just because I haven't transferred my SPS into this tank. Im trying to trap him with some frags and bring him back to the LFS, I feel bad he was ever pulled from the reef and sold into the hobby..
Curious what became of your Leopard Blenny ..... Looking at doing a species specific tank for one at out local LFS ..... he is definitely beautiful

OP
OP
FishSkedee

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what became of your Leopard Blenny ..... Looking at doing a species specific tank for one at out local LFS ..... he is definitely beautiful
He was a very interesting fish, wish I was cool enough to provide the correct set up. I imagine they are Polygynous and a group would be pretty sweet. The LFS said they were going to put him in a display and use mastic on acro skeletons, but I haven’t seen anything else from it. That’s the only time I’ve ever came across one, & I learned my lesson regarding impulse buys lol. Please share if you get anything going….

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back