Leopard wrasse 1st day behavior normal or not

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went to my lfs today to return this angel fish that failed in my reef and decided to look around the corals and fish when I seen the leopard. So when they went to net him he went right for the sand so of course the had to disturb him to get him out.
Acclimated him for about 30 min and straight into the tank. So this is where I think he might started acting weird maybe I'm wrong, I put him in and just started swimming in the center circling for a couple minutes he then went over and was hanging out with the pair of clowns and actually swimming like them(is that how they normally swim?) Another thing i noticed is that it kept rubbing on some of my acros.
After lights went out he was still hanging with the clowns after walking away from the tank and coming back to it he was gone. Looked around and I could see him beneath a cave hiding. I thought they slept in thr sand. I have plenty of it too. I hope someone can give me some input on him.
Thanks jose

20190325_200412.jpg

20190325_134359.jpg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse behavior is pretty straightforward (for the most part) as I have found they seem to have three states:
-sleeping (in the sand)
-searching the rock for food
-aggressive/defensive behavior (usually involving food)

In my experience, if a leopard wrasse is swimming aimlessly and without purpose something is off (but not necessarily fatal).

A leopard put in a new tank/system can hide in the sand for upwards of two weeks, so don't stress if you don't see him for a few days.

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! One thing that have me some hope is that I did see him peck at some of the rocks he was swimming around in the to of the tank. I guess time will tell.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a newly introduced fish can exhibit all sorts of odd behaviors. Give it a few days to settle in.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be a bit concerned over the rubbing behavior as that is usually a tell tale sign of ich or velvet. Keep a close eye on it as it may have to be QT'ed

OP
OP
Jmareef1022

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot everyone, will keep an eye on him hopefully he pulls thru.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back