Leopard Wrasse Changing to Male?

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I have a somewhat interesting occurence or atleast I haven’t seen this before. My female blue star leopard wrasse which I have had a little over 3 years all of a sudden has seemed to start changing colors. I noticed this a week ago when his face started getting a different pattern and now today his fins are turning purple-ish pink. It seems like it might be transitioning into a male which I know they can do. The question is, why after three years, would my wrasse do this, with there also not being any other leopard wrasses in my tank. Here’s a short clip of the wrasse now under white lighting, but I sadly dont have any clips of it under white lighting before this change.

Attachments

• IMG_3859.mov
    59.5 MB
OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I have a somewhat interesting occurence or atleast I haven’t seen this before. My female blue star leopard wrasse which I have had a little over 3 years all of a sudden has seemed to start changing colors. I noticed this a week ago when his face started getting a different pattern and now today his fins are turning purple-ish pink. It seems like it might be transitioning into a male which I know they can do. The question is, why after three years, would my wrasse do this, with there also not being any other leopard wrasses in my tank. Here’s a short clip of the wrasse now under white lighting, but I sadly dont have any clips of it under white lighting before this change.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All wrasses change to male. Though it can happen faster or slower due to environmental and social needs they all will eventually transition to male.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why the label “super male” is a bit of a scam. A super male wrasse is an older wrasse that has completely transitioned and is nearing the end of its life.

This is mostly a wrasse thing. Most other fish we keep can change genders either way and potentially back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back