Leopard Wrasse disappeared!

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a leopard wrasse from another local reefer who had him for quite a while along with a couple other fish such as yellow tile and more. The first 2 days the leopard was the only of the ones I bought that was up and about, je was swimming around perfectly, eating, and was overall the healthiest and doimg the best of the bunch. When he’d get close to my Gem tang who is the boss of my tank he’s chase him quickly and then stop which is quite normal as my tang asserts his dominance in the first couple days with every new fish I’ve introduced. Now yesterday, my leopard is no where to be seen. I’ve searched EVERYWHERE and even turned my entire room upside down incase he had jumped. (I’ve ordered a lid a long time ago but it’s taken ages for it to come). He isn’t coming out to eat, and I haven’t seen him in what has to be close to 48 hours. I’ve heard that they possibly bury themselves, which I only just found out. Other then that, I have 0 idea where he has gone and am debating removing my rocks incase he has passed as I don’t want his death to taint the water quality which I’m keeping a close eyes on. Please let me know what you think I should do. Thank you! You can see him in the first photo I uploaded below!

IMG_1916.jpeg IMG_1962.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_1918.jpeg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing. He’s either hiding (most likely) or dead. If he’s dead, clean up crew (you do have a clean up crew, right?) is already working on it.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing. He’s either hiding (most likely) or dead. If he’s dead, clean up crew (you do have a clean up crew, right?) is already working on it.
Yes l, an overkill amount if anything. 40 snails, 15 zombie snails, and about 30 hermits… but they can get rid of a full on dead fish?? I thought stuff of that size needed to be manually removed ? And thanks ! U prevented me from digging around cuz that’s what I was gonna do lol. And also how do you guys feel on tank lids ? Do most people have? Or don’t have ?

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above that you shouldn’t do anything. It’s likely just hiding in the sand and will show back up at some point.
Perfect thanks and just wondering if most people have lids or at least some form of mesh? Do you have one ? Cuz I recently lost one of my yellow tile to jumping and it’s rlly putting things into perspective…

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. The only thing to do is wait. Leopards spend days ... even a few weeks ... hiding in the sand until they get comfortable with a new environment. The best course of action is to wait and let it come back out when its ready.

As for lids, most people have them. Sooner or later, odds are a fish will jump.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thanks and just wondering if most people have lids or at least some form of mesh? Do you have one ? Cuz I recently lost one of my yellow tile to jumping and it’s rlly putting things into perspective…
I really prefer the way tanks looks without lids, but I have a mesh lid on every tank I own. I found out a long time ago I hate finding a dried up fish on the floor.
I have used glass lids but really prefer mesh. The glass lids will keep in moisture so there isn’t as much evaporation, but they will also get dirty quickly and start blocking the light.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. The only thing to do is wait. Leopards spend days ... even a few weeks ... hiding in the sand until they get comfortable with a new environment. The best course of action is to wait and let it come back out when its ready.

As for lids, most people have them. Sooner or later, odds are a fish will jump.
You made your own lid or have any recommendation about where to get

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made your own lid or have any recommendation about where to get
For my first tank, I made my own. If you google 'DIY aquarium lids' or 'make your own aquarium screen lid' you'll find plenty of info for different options.

For my past two tanks, I've ordered custom-sized lids from octoaquatics.com

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other have said they will periodically bury themselves for an extended period of time. I thought I lost one of mine once he was mia for almost a month. Then one day there he was swimming around like nothing ever happened.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back