Leopard wrasse pair with rhomboid wrasse compatibility

lone reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have waterbox 100.3 “75 gallon” that I’m currently stocking and looking to see if I can put a pair of leopard wrasses in with a large male rhomboid wrasse? Other tank inhabitants are 1 firefish, 1 mandarin goby, white tang and cuc of emerald crabs, a few different kinds of snails. The tank was only set up a few months ago but has live rock and everything from the sump from my previous 125g tank that was over 8-9 years old. It went fallow for the first couple months due to an ich outbreak in the older tank and the old live rock was moved to the new waterbox. The pod population exploded while fallow so I ordered the first round of fish including the rhomboid and mandarin. I have the lfs qting the pair of leopard wrasses for me at the moment, I was originally going to put them in my larger 220 waterbox, but I recently put a couple new tangs in the 220 which are already home to some medium-large sized tangs and I’m concerned that the large tangs may cause the leopards to hide and not come out to eat. 220 tank inhabitants are
1 large sailfin tang
1 large yellow tang
1 large purple tang
1 medium Achilles tang
2 pajama cardinals
2 purple firefish
1 male lyretail anthias
1 diamond goby
Also planning on adding a small white tail tang and a small hippo 2 female anthias and 2 clown fish. Ive had yellow tang and sailfin for over 7-8 years and the Achilles and purple were new additions. I knew the purple and yellow would probably have issues and initially they did, the aggression between the 2 has settled down but occasionally they’ll case each other which makes me concerned about putting the leopards in there. So now I’m thinking of putting them in my smaller tank and just curious if anyone knows if the rhomboid and leopards will be compatible? Any info or opinions on this would be appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to say. I recently added a yellow coris and lubbock's fairy wrasse to my reef which had a large melanarus wrasse, sixline wrasse and bicolor cleaner wrasse. The LFS thought there may be some initial aggression from the melanarus (which there was), and the lubbock's wrasse hung out in a cave for the first 3-4 days. The yellow coris wrasse didn't give any F's - but he always sleeps late anyway. Since then the lubbock's decided that cave life isn't for him and decided to venture out into the tank to join the rest of the group (he still sleeps in his adopted cave at night).

I offer this only as an observation of the interaction between two much smaller wrasses and a much larger (dominant) wrasse.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back