Leopard wrasse question

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up fellow reef addicts anybody have success feeding wrasse only once a day ? She only comes out in the am is eating live brine and trigger pods, I’m aware they need to be fed several times a day but that’s not happening ✌️

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up fellow reef addicts anybody have success feeding wrasse only once a day ? She only comes out in the am is eating live brine and trigger pods, I’m aware they need to be fed several times a day but that’s not happening ✌️
Blue star leopard wrasse fyi one of my favorites would like to keep her alive

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though she’s only eating what you feed her once a day, she’s also eating your copepods and other microfauna off your rocks :) Does she stay out all day?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed with flow on and mine eats everything. Try fresh chopped up clams and fish eggs. Feed with flow on see if that helps

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though she’s only eating what you feed her once a day, she’s also eating your copepods and other microfauna off your rocks :) Does she stay out all day?
noo she’s only out in the am hours during that time she eats like a pig maybe she’s still on African time ?! just worried because I’ve read they must eat several times ...like the cleaner wrasse which I was never able to keep alive thought maybe they were similar

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noo she’s only out in the am hours during that time she eats like a pig maybe she’s still on African time ?! just worried because I’ve read they must eat several times ...like the cleaner wrasse which I was never able to keep alive thought maybe they were similar
She could still be adjusting to your time zone. Have you noticed any aggression towards her from a tank mate? Even something as small as a brief chase can stress out a new leopard.

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.. Live white worms are key for me! They love live white worms and can't resist the
She could still be adjusting to your time zone. Have you noticed any aggression towards her from a tank mate? Even something as small as a brief chase can stress out a new leopard.
No aggression my fire shrimp seems to try and clean her but besides that nobody seems to care about her she’s out and about from 7am till early afternoon then she’s buried until the next morning

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aggression my fire shrimp seems to try and clean her but besides that nobody seems to care about her she’s out and about from 7am till early afternoon then she’s buried until the next morning
Sounds like she’s still adjusting. As she starts staying out longer and longer she’ll eat more. My leopards find LRS Fish Frenzy irresistible give that a try. Leopards usually try prepared foods when they see the other fish eating it. Monkey see, monkey do. Also as others mentioned, adding the food into the flow causes a feeding response. Best of luck with her!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about the same thing too since during the week I only see her in the morning before work. That’s why I made sure to have a good population of copepods before I got her so she does have food in the tank all day long. She eats a ton in the morning though. I try to put food in twice to make sure she is as fed as I can be. Haven’t had her long but she seems healthy and happy

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's out when during her time takes about 2 -3 weeks for her to fully adjust to your light schedule. You could try feeding her a little when she is out.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a medium leopard survive on pods alone in a larger 180G system? Mine is still in the adjustment period coming out after 7 days of initial hiding when I introduced it. Jet lag was still off and she's adjusting by coming out earlier and earlier as the days pass. She's out at 11am now vs the 5pm initially. However she's actively hunting nonstop on the sand and rocks. I know copepods are smaller and may not be visible and I thought she takes the larger pods (trigs?) which I don't see many in the tank. Maybe her eyes are better than mine, but concerning that she's not taking food and I may be out of pods. Note that she was purchased as a QTed fish from a vendor here, so ate prepared food during the 30 day QT. About 14 days in my tank total and not taking prepared any food and that's concerning.

Pods only diet?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a medium leopard survive on pods alone in a larger 180G system? Mine is still in the adjustment period coming out after 7 days of initial hiding when I introduced it. Jet lag was still off and she's adjusting by coming out earlier and earlier as the days pass. She's out at 11am now vs the 5pm initially. However she's actively hunting nonstop on the sand and rocks. I know copepods are smaller and may not be visible and I thought she takes the larger pods (trigs?) which I don't see many in the tank. Maybe her eyes are better than mine, but concerning that she's not taking food and I may be out of pods. Note that she was purchased as a QTed fish from a vendor here, so ate prepared food during the 30 day QT. About 14 days in my tank total and not taking prepared any food and that's concerning.

Pods only diet?
Have you tried to feed?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to feed?

Tried: frozen mysis, fresh fish roe, assortment of pellets of all sizes (NLS, PE, algae extreme, 2 different flakes.

Ignores everything except continues picking on the rocks and sand which by now should be fairly bare. I run a full sump with mature rocks in it along with chaeto so I think the smaller copepods are there and making it to the tank, but not physically seeing the larger tig pods. I'm assuming is their preferred given the large size making it easier to spot.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried: frozen mysis, fresh fish roe, assortment of pellets of all sizes (NLS, PE, algae extreme, 2 different flakes.

Ignores everything except continues picking on the rocks and sand which by now should be fairly bare. I run a full sump with mature rocks in it along with chaeto so I think the smaller copepods are there and making it to the tank, but not physically seeing the larger tig pods. I'm assuming is their preferred given the large size making it easier to spot.
Try fresh clams and roe with pumps on. May take a bit but they usually figure it out

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner wrasse loves just absolutely loves flakes and is very fat. No tips for leopard wrasse tho cuz I don't have one lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feed it variety. They can be shy feeders but pods will fill in food source during your absence.

Small plankton
mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
rods fish eggs
Hikari marine cuisine

Back