OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the good news is i just saw her! She was out and about then went behind the rocks and is sitting on the sand bed. The lights are starting to ramp down though so I figure that she’s used to the lighting schedule. I hope to see her cruising the tank tomorrow! :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that you saw it. If indeed the LFS did treat it with copper, it could have been a fast death - these are among the fish I would never use copper on. Once it is bouncing around hunting and picking at the rocks, then you are home free.

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers! Yesterday I went to the lfs and picked up a leopard wrasse on a super special at a price I couldn’t resist. It was only $16 and eating mysis so I figured why not. I acclimated and put it into the tank last night. It sat above the sand bed before burying itself. About how long should I wait on the guy to come out? I’m aware that it’s a new fish and will probably hide for a few days but how long did you guys have to wait? I also threw a lawnmower blenny in there last night (who also eats mysis) and he’s already out and about. Any input appreciated :)

mine didnt show for a few days and was an amazing fish. i miss that carpet surfer

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, I’m not sure. It could be a divided. It had some hints of blue. It was mostly orange with the black lines. It looked just like this one :)

C03B9B32-7B07-4552-A64E-C43FC5AC5662.jpeg
My LFS will not order me one because they say they are poor shippers and won't live past 3 months? But I read every one writing about there leopard wrasse and I get so mad at my LFS. Good score for 16 bucks

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish was cruising around the tank for awhile this evening @jda so it should be out tomorrow. As for an lfs that’s now willing to order, id go somewhere else or order one online. Kinda seems like a heaping pile o poo that an lfs won’t order a pretty common fish while you can order them online with a 14 day guarantee

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sometimes are poor shippers, but the good collectors ship them with some sand so that they can burrow and hide. They also do not do well in bare-bottom LFS tanks nor do they respond well to hypo or copper. This is a fish that goes right into my display... and I have had a lot of them and am really bummed out that Potters Wrasses are rarely available from Hawaii anymore.

I have a pair of Melagris now that are about 10 years old... one changed to the male form, which I do not like as much, but they are about 4.5 legit inches and about 3/4 inch thick. Leopards are great fish.

If you have some spare time, here is a great article on them:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS will not order me one because they say they are poor shippers and won't live past 3 months? But I read every one writing about there leopard wrasse and I get so mad at my LFS. Good score for 16 bucks

The honest truth is that Leopard Wrasses are a massive liability for fish stores since so many of them ship poorly. Only the hardier specimens do well long term in captivity and many won't make it the first week. My Blue Star Leopard Wrasse was part of a batch of 6 leopard wrasses ordered by my LFS. 2 didn't make it the first week, 2 Sold and I have no idea what happened to them and then there was mine and another regular leopard wrasse. Mine was always active and full of life everytime I saw it, while the other appeared to be more lethargic. Ended up purchasing the active one and when I went in to get it, the other was lying on it's side and breathing heavily so it's very likely it didn't make it. So at best 50% of the batch that my Blue Star Leopard was part of didn't last the month and who knows if the other 2 that sold made it. That's not exactly the kind of risk you want as a business and it's the main reason why some just refuse to stock them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, agreed. One of the LFS near me got in six male blue star. All were showing ‘pinching’ behind the head which means none of them will make it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Melagris now that are about 10 years old... one changed to the male form, which I do not like as much, but they are about 4.5 legit inches and about 3/4 inch thick. Leopards are great fish.

Ive wonder the life span for these fish. My lapillus (not technically a macropharyngodon, but close) has been under my care for almost six years. Hard to find.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the easiest leopards? my lfs has had a moyers for a hot minute.. real tempting

Moyers are generally considered on the easier end. I bought a trio off DD a few years ago and still have all three. Meleagris are probably next, followed by ornate. Choati is considered to be the toughest. I tried one and failed. Potters tricky also. Personally I have struggled to keep the black. I have no trouble getting them acclimated and eating, but they always gradually lose weight and die. Prazi or no prazi makes no difference.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might take a few days for it to come out. Check it at night as if coming from a different time zone might be going out at night abdnhiding at day which might cause it to starve.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about a life span. I wish that there was a way to know. After more thought, mine might just be 9 years old.

Potters were super easy when we got them direct from RT out of Hawaii. They always did well... not so much when wholesaling through LA. With the small-net ban in Hawaii, they are nearly impossible to get now unless they just get lucky with a larger net.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a handful of this guys. Best way to keep them is having good supply of pods in the tank. Longest streak of having one lasted 2 months. Giant headache.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue star and a Kuiter's. I feed often and live worms...fresh frozen clam (I buy live and freeze)... LRS...mysis..and masstick mixed with mysis. Seem to be easy to keep once past initial stress if you can keep them well fed and fluke free.

Pretty sure some of mine have internal parasites but getting them to eat meds is LOL... Regardless they have put on good weight though when fed well.

I think my bluestar is coming up two years...first year and a half spent in a 25g and about a month when between tanks she was in a bare bottom. She was already used to tank life long before I pulled the sand though. She's in a 80g now with sand again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I accidentally found her this afternoon ;Dead . I was Fixing a few frags the goby either buried or flipped over (during a night raid LOL) and picked up one of the 3 inch tiles to see an eyeball poking out from under the sand. I continued to fix them and she casually strolled out, swan to the other side of the tank and back into hiding ;Rage.Who knows, maybe I’ll see her later this afternoon. She still looked pretty plump so I’m assuming that she’s feasting on pods etc during the night.

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread as I got one yesterday myself and he is hiding as well for about 24 hours now. Hoping to see him soon so I know all is good. No clue where he hid himself.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back