Leptastrea carpeting

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks for any answers you can provide me with. I am interested in covering the whole central rock of my nano in Leptastrea.
Two objectives with this: 1) I think it would look really cool i.e. a gold rock as a central piece and 2) I am sick of vermetid
snails and I have heard that Leptastrea will grow over them. In this rock(below left) I have Euphyllia, Blastomussa, Micromussa ,Goniopora and some
mushrooms. Would Leptastrea given your experience outcompete this other corals or they should be ok?

Thanks!

20220815_085712.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks for any answers you can provide me with. I am interested in covering the whole central rock of my nano in Leptastrea.
Two objectives with this: 1) I think it would look really cool i.e. a gold rock as a central piece and 2) I am sick of vermetid
snails and I have heard that Leptastrea will grow over them. In this rock(below left) I have Euphyllia, Blastomussa, Micromussa ,Goniopora and some
mushrooms. Would Leptastrea given your experience outcompete this other corals or they should be ok?

Thanks!

20220815_085712.jpg
Leo astrea is capable of encrusting and spreading
Not sure about coverage of vermetid however, bumble bee snails will make a snack out of them or with a little patience, you can place dabs of Gel superglue from the dollar store over each opening

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Leptastrea will sometimes grow over and sometimes grow around vermtid snails
Thanks Joe, how about aggressiveness to LPS? Will it grow over the skeletal structure and the sting/kill the coral (like the ones above)?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermatids will just bore through the coral. They always do.

There is no way to get rid of them besides acid and bleach baths for the rocks.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leptastrea will try to sting and encrust other corals, yes. LPS of many species can probably sting it back, but I'm not sure how that fight will work out.

What's that reddish coral to the right? The one that looks like a gigantic blasto. I don't recognize that.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks!

20220815_085712.jpg
I have it in one tank covering a rock. It seems to encrust everything in its path. I also glued some on the back glass in another tank. It seems to be spreading faster on the glass. Lol.

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leptastrea will try to sting and encrust other corals, yes. LPS of many species can probably sting it back, but I'm not sure how that fight will work out.

What's that reddish coral to the right? The one that looks like a gigantic blasto. I don't recognize that.
Thanks it was sold to me as Blastomussa wellsi.

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in one tank covering a rock. It seems to encrust everything in its path. I also glued some on the back glass in another tank. It seems to be spreading faster on the glass. Lol.
Did it outcompete other corals? thxs!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it outcompete other corals? thxs!
So far no corals affected. It covers feather dusters and vermicelli snails. It grows on any hard surface including tubes from snails and anything g fastened to the rock. A coral with sweepers might keep it at bay. Good luck with it. Mine is plain green and blue but a hardy coral.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back