Lessons learned so far from a Rookie Reefer....Hopefully this will help some others.

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the Reefer thing for several months now and I have a JBJ Nano Cube HQI 28gallon. Here are a few things I have learned so far and maybe some you can benefit from it.

IMHO......
#1 Don't buy Live Rock. Use Dry rock to avoid HITCHHIKERS!!!!!!
#2 Avoid All in One systems because they are Very hard to upgrade
#3 Starfish (especially Linkia) are best left in the Ocean.
#4 If you can afford LED...Get it!!!! the MH's WILL cause heat issues plus are more expensive to run.
#5 Automatic Water Top off is A MUST!!!!
#6 certain Corals, especially Stonys need to wait until you have more experience.
#7 Make sure you have all necessary equipment...quality skimmer, heater, power heads etc.......Before spending money on expensive LiveStock that you are probably putting into jeopardy in a newly established tank!!!
#8 Vortech's are well worth the money!!!
#9 Spotted Mandarins have tons of personality but make sure they are eating frozen shrimp.
#10 DON"T RUSH IT!!!!!! See #6 and #7

So far this is what I have learned and I'm learning more everyday If anybody has anything else...please add on

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine EVERYTHING for the recommended amount of time to avoid parasites infecting your system.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and if you do get ich the only surefire way to get rid of it is let the tank go fishless at least 6 weeks. And add all the sand you want when starting up, don't add it later on unless you don't mind a huge diatom outbreak.
Those are the 3 lessons this newb has learned so far.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with #4 but i can be helped with a small clip on fan! I have a sunpod on my biocube 29g and the fan keeps things at 78-80 durnig the hot florida summer months!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the Reefer thing for several months now and I have a JBJ Nano Cube HQI 28gallon. Here are a few things I have learned so far and maybe some you can benefit from it.

IMHO......
#1 Don't buy Live Rock. Use Dry rock to avoid HITCHHIKERS!!!!!!
#2 Avoid All in One systems because they are Very hard to upgrade
#3 Starfish (especially Linkia) are best left in the Ocean.
#4 If you can afford LED...Get it!!!! the MH's WILL cause heat issues plus are more expensive to run.
#5 Automatic Water Top off is A MUST!!!!
#6 certain Corals, especially Stonys need to wait until you have more experience.
#7 Make sure you have all necessary equipment...quality skimmer, heater, power heads etc.......Before spending money on expensive LiveStock that you are probably putting into jeopardy in a newly established tank!!!
#8 Vortech's are well worth the money!!!
#9 Spotted Mandarins have tons of personality but make sure they are eating frozen shrimp.
#10 DON"T RUSH IT!!!!!! See #6 and #7

So far this is what I have learned and I'm learning more everyday If anybody has anything else...please add on

Great advice and a few comments!

#1 Live Rock, if properly inspected/cured, can be wonderful as a lot of the hitchhikers can be very beneficial. However, there are also the hitchhikers that can drive a person to drink!

#2 AIO systems are definitely difficult to upgrade, BUT can be modified, with a lil' research and imagination. In our 24 gallon Aquapod, I drilled the back wall, to allow for placement of a powerhead, along with a Hydor Flo unit.

#3 I completely agree and would like to add Cleaner Wrasses to that list, since quite a few people think they're a great Nano Fish.

#4 LEDs DO ROCK! Currently, we're running a 150MH Sunpod, over our Aquapod and haven't had any heat issues, even during our hot summer months. But, we do have AC...lol. T5HO would also be an excellent choice, IF they made better quality fixtures, in 20" and decent 18" bulbs. Unfortunately, neither are the case.

#5 I REALLY wish I had an ATO system, for our Nano, as we evaporate about 3/4 gallon/day, with the large amount of flow and MH lighting.

#6 There are stony corals that are great for Nanos and fall into the category of "easy beginner corals," such as Frogspawn, Candy Cane, Echinos, even Acans and a few other LPS.

#7 AMEN!! Without a skimmer, you can be successful, with increased water changes.

#8 Hmmm, hadn't thought about trying that, though I've seen a MP10, on a couple Salonas.

#9 Honestly, I'm of the belief that all Mandarins should be in a minimum of a 40 gallon, though there's a Scooter Blenny (still a dragonet) in our Nano, at Angie's insistence! Luckily, it eats prepared foods, very eagerly!

#10 This can't be stated, strongly enough, in every aspect of our hobby! We're responsible for a living ecosystem and should always do everything in our power, to keep it healthy, for the sake of the life inside that glass box. Patience is the key to that success!!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 - I have 2 Linkias in my tank and they do just fine. It is a very established tank though so there are many sponges and other stuff for the stars to eat. They have not only survived, but have grown in captivity for me.

#8 - This is assuming you want to use powerheads in your tank. There isn't a single powerhead in my tank as I personally don't like the look.

All the others I agree with! About the QT, EVERYTHING includes fish and corals as sometimes the hardest pest to get rid of is one that hitches on a coral.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few comments about the above statements.

I run 2 250w medal halides and there are times my heater kicks on to keep the temp above 78 (during the summer in Mississippi, outside temp is well over 100 deg).

I have had a blue linkia for over a year with absolutely no problems.

Often people say to use base rock instead of dry rock, all the benefits of liverock minus the hitchhikers.

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read and been told by many experienced hobbyists to buy the best live rock. Helps provide beneficial bacteria and a natural filteration for your tank. Also makes the tank look alot more natural. Most (not all) base rock is plain and just heavy. I like the long branching tonga rock, seems to be easier to inspect.

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember....all of the above are IMHO.

I wish i could keep Linkias. I had Two of them and both died within weeks. I was told by the LFS afterward and have read that they are SUPER susceptible to salinity changes, transitions from one tank to another etc.........

The MH may not have heating issues w/ typical set ups but if you have an AIO type (JBJ NanoCube) Your gonna get em.......

Oh, and here is
#11 Realize that for the most part, with some exceptions, your LFS is in it straight up for the money alone so things they sell you sometimes isn't always in the best interest of your tank inhabitants.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they might not even really know. The owners may know most of what they sell, but the employees were looking for a job and got that one. There's no degree or years of experience as a prerequisite to work in most LFS. Just a reliable employee that wants to make money and can treat customers decently. It's lucky to find someone to hire that actually knows a ton about the fish and corals they're selling.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you did say with exceptions. Hey ReefRdude, is there a good LFS out your way? Have you been out this way to AC? I'd give them thumbs up.

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you did say with exceptions. Hey ReefRdude, is there a good LFS out your way? Have you been out this way to AC? I'd give them thumbs up.

Tina, the Coral Reef is a really good LFS in Knoxville. You need to check them out. Eric (the manager) really knows his ***** when it comes to Reefing!!!!!!

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks--I'll do that! I feel the same about Aquatic Critter so if you're out this way you gotta go. Either of the Chris' are awesome.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back