Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

Deep Elem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the info. I have attached a picture of my station and I have two questions. First, is it a big deal that I am using brass spigots? And second is can I just put my ATO pump in the RO/DI reservoir or I am I asking for trouble given possibility for overfills? I use a Neptune ATO.;
D7597134-9DD0-4718-9CC7-8B9BD7852E1E.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the info. I have attached a picture of my station and I have two questions. First, is it a big deal that I am using brass spigots? And second is can I just put my ATO pump in the RO/DI reservoir or I am I asking for trouble given possibility for overfills? I use a Neptune ATO.;
D7597134-9DD0-4718-9CC7-8B9BD7852E1E.jpeg
Yes your asking for trouble with the brass(main alloy in brass is copper) spigots. Go plastic.

And yes to your other question. You allowing your ATO to have a nearly endless supply of water. Not a good idea at all. It can be done, and has been many times, but it requires a lot more redundancy then just throwing the ATO pump into the tank.

SteveJacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same craftsman air compressor.

Nice looking mixing station setup. Everything in one place and easily accessible.
You could double up the RODI utit to suppy your home brewery and that room would be brilliant!!!!

Deep Elem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your asking for trouble with the brass(main alloy in brass is copper) spigots. Go plastic.

And yes to your other question. You allowing your ATO to have a nearly endless supply of water. Not a good idea at all. It can be done, and has been many times, but it requires a lot more redundancy then just throwing the ATO pump into the tank.
Thanks for the info and quick response!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wouldn't buy an expensive hole saw, I would still buy a hole saw for this application.

$19.99 for a 16 piece hole saw from BRS that covers 99% of the typical hole sizes.

Think I got one even cheaper from Harbor Freight.
Funny, that looks exactly like the one I got from Harbor Freight.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my water station up as I’ve seen a a lot of you do, with one pump to pump water from rodi to salt container, to re-circulate the salt mix and to move saltwater to the sump. I recently took my station apart to clean the salt tank and tested my rodi to find 40-50ish tds. My rodi output is zero, my tank is clean and the lid stays on. The water is used and replaced frequently. This means that even though there is never an “in” to the rodi container other than the rodi product line, something is being introduced to my rodi tank. This could happen if I left the rodi output valve open when switching to salt, but for the purposes of this question, let’s assume I’ve never done that(because I haven’t). Any thoughts?

since salt mix tests upwards of 7,000 tds I figured it would take very minimal of that introduced to the rodi to show 40 tds. Is this just normal and I’m reading into it too much?

unless I find an answer, I’m going to be safe and plumb the salt and rodi independently of one another and just use two pumps.

1AD782E2-99A4-4AB3-A62C-C5838C69C47D.jpeg

Last edited:

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my water station up as I’ve seen a a lot of you do, with one pump to pump water from rodi to salt container, to re-circulate the salt mix and to move saltwater to the sump. I recently took my station apart to clean the salt tank and tested my rodi to find 40-50ish tds. My rodi output is zero, my tank is clean and the lid stays on. The water is used and replaced frequently. This means that even though there is never an “in” to the rodi container other than the rodi product line, something is being introduced to my rodi tank. This could happen if I left the rodi output valve open when switching to salt, but for the purposes of this question, let’s assume I’ve never done that(because I haven’t). Any thoughts?

since salt mix tests upwards of 7,000 tds I figured it would take very minimal of that introduced to the rodi to show 40 tds. Is this just normal and I’m reading into it too much?

unless I find an answer, I’m going to be safe and plumb the salt and rodi independently of one another and just use two pumps.
My suggestion is to put the RODI container ABOVE the NSW mixing container. Just gravity feed RODI down to the mixing bin when needed. You might be getting just a little salt water finding its way back into the RODI container due to gravity.

Mine looks like this :

img_4850-jpg.314669

(actually I've tweaked the plubming a little since then but this is the best pic I could find quickly!)

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to put the RODI container ABOVE the NSW mixing container. Just gravity feed RODI down to the mixing bin when needed. You might be getting just a little salt water finding its way back into the RODI container due to gravity.

Mine looks like this :

img_4850-jpg.314669

(actually I've tweaked the plubming a little since then but this is the best pic I could find quickly!)
I actually did switch them.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simpler ULM version for saltwater mixing that I use for AWC.

20201013_224015.jpg

20201102_122228.jpg

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wouldn't buy an expensive hole saw, I would still buy a hole saw for this application.

$19.99 for a 16 piece hole saw from BRS that covers 99% of the typical hole sizes.

Think I got one even cheaper from Harbor Freight.
Thank you!!! And any power drill can be used for this right? I need to buy one anyways but.. for my purposes now, any drill is fine?

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days I dream of a system like that! Unfortunately I only have a single bucket and not a lot of room to spare (plus a smaller tank) so I make do using the same bucket and rinsing it out after each SW mix.....but one of these days I’ll get away from the “lazy man’s station” lol

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent article and writing.
What pump did you use?
How did you insert the pump and plumbed it inside the SW container?

If the question was directed to me, I used an old Little Giant external pump I had. Once it finally bit the dust, I ended up using a Reeflo pump I picked up locally for next to nothing. Way, way overkill but I couldn't beat the price!

In my case, with my particular storage containers, they have a port at the bottom of the tank and I simply used a bulkhead for the plumbing. If you containers do not have a port, you can drill a hole and use a bulk head on the flat surfaces. If it's a curved surface, I would suggest using a uniseal instead. In fact, the top hole of the SW container has a uniseal at the top to and it's plumbed to circulate/stir the water while mixing.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the question was directed to me, I used an old Little Giant external pump I had. Once it finally bit the dust, I ended up using a Reeflo pump I picked up locally for next to nothing. Way, way overkill but I couldn't beat the price!

In my case, with my particular storage containers, they have a port at the bottom of the tank and I simply used a bulkhead for the plumbing. If you containers do not have a port, you can drill a hole and use a bulk head on the flat surfaces. If it's a curved surface, I would suggest using a uniseal instead. In fact, the top hole of the SW container has a uniseal at the top to and it's plumbed to circulate/stir the water while mixing.
I’m about to set up my two 250 gallon mixing containers and I read something about you saying you plumb the top so it stirred the water while mixing I wanted to know if you still liked this idea or would you do it differently before I do the same thing

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to set up my two 250 gallon mixing containers and I read something about you saying you plumb the top so it stirred the water while mixing I wanted to know if you still liked this idea or would you do it differently before I do the same thing

Although my need for mixing no longer exists since the tank was taken down, the mixing station still remains unchanged from the first post (with the exception of the pump change mentioned above). When/if I get back in the game, and I'm still in this location, there isn't much I would change regarding the setup. The only thing I would add to it would be an auto water change mechanism, but that's a topic for a different article. :cool:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen this one at work and thought what a most excellent mix tank and ironically it's a water softener tank for salt pellets.
It has multiple bulkheads for all your plumbing and sensors

20210124_154109.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back