Let me see your sand beds?

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to pick a sand for my new build. I'm doing a 40g Breeder. I do have a 5lb bag of the ocean direct, so I may use it on the bottom, but honestly I hate it. I'm looking for something very big grain. Not huge like crushed coral, but I'm thinking either reefflakes from Tropic Eden, or Special Grade from Caribsea, I just want to see some real setups and what sand you used and why. Thanks so much!

Lauren

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to pick a sand for my new build. I'm doing a 40g Breeder. I do have a 5lb bag of the ocean direct, so I may use it on the bottom, but honestly I hate it. I'm looking for something very big grain. Not huge like crushed coral, but I'm thinking either reefflakes from Tropic Eden, or Special Grade from Caribsea, I just want to see some real setups and what sand you used and why. Thanks so much!

Lauren
I run bare bottom for sps but what type of fish are you trying to have. Cleaner goby, or wrasse. Will determine what type of sand.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only going to a 40g breeder, so I'll keep my two (maybe, ones MIA at the moment) clowns and maybe a shrimp, I'd love a coral beauty angel, but I don't think I'll be able to fit one in a 40g.

RedPhotog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lauren

Caribsea special grade, best sand.

RedPhotog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lauren

IMG_7620.jpg

RedPhotog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Caribsea special grade because it will stay put in a lot of different flows. I can basically have the flow and pumps wherever I want and the sand will stay put. And the finer the sand the more difficult it is for sand living critters to operate in.

IMG_4675.JPG

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a mixture of a couple types. I like the Special Grade sized and the little bigger grained sands. Try to avoid the really fine stuff like Bahamas Oolite as it blows around way to much and you end up getting Green turf algae everyplace because everyplace. (Again in my experience)

IMG_20191114_101856.jpg

(You can see the finer sand in the front and the course sand in the back.)

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a mixture of a couple types. I like the Special Grade sized and the little bigger grained sands. Try to avoid the really fine stuff like Bahamas Oolite as it blows around way to much and you end up getting Green turf algae everyplace because everyplace. (Again in my experience)

IMG_20191114_101856.jpg

(You can see the finer sand in the front and the course sand in the back.)
Is the back stuff the special grade?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the special grade. I have it in both of my current tanks and love that it does not move around with the high flow. I have used other finer sands in older builds and it blows everywhere and was a pain.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 3 sizes of reef flakes
I mix all 3.
The fine will blow but some critters like to live in it.
The middle is pretty std size and holds pretty well.
The large stays put unless you point a lot of flow at it. Then over time it moves.
Reef_Flakes.jpg

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the back stuff the special grade?

Both from Petco & Cheap, You have to rinse both of them before going into the tank. I am talking a GOOD rinsing. I run mine under sink water for 30 minutes while I mix the sand.

The CoraLine Marine Gravel is the Bigger Chunks and the CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand is the smaller. Hope this helps. (And are less then .50 a lbs)

IMG_20191114_160321.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back