• "Tank Journal"

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize most of you saying a journal feels like something private are expressing what you feel about the word.

However, I do want to point out that a journal is simply a record of something. The term is used for lots of other records and reports of things that are not private at all. For example, The Wall Street Journal, academic journals, accounting journals, etc. The term journal refers to the chronology/record of something. It's literally a document that tracks the progression of something. That's why it seemed appropriate for the thread that documents the story of a reef tank.
I understand your thought behind the word journal and the idea that it’s a log/record of something. I think what’s getting lost is that when you think about a journal is it’s one sided. To most that are hanging onto the word build thread is because it means more to them then just a log of their tank. It was a place to collaborate with others and be social with their tank. A journal is not social.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand your thought behind the word journal and the idea that it’s a log/record of something. I think what’s getting lost is that when you think about a journal is it’s one sided. To most that are hanging onto the word build thread is because it means more to them then just a log of their tank. It was a place to collaborate with others and be social with their tank. A journal is not social.
I understand the point you're making. I think it's interesting that the term "build" is what some of us see as problematic, and the term "journal" is what others are taking issue with. In both cases, it's one word that's in question. We are going to look at all of this more this coming week. I will say that when I started the thread, I definitely didn't think this would become such an important question.

Also, it's important to note that people can still use whatever term they want to refer to their own threads. No one has banned either term. It's also interesting to me that some have pointed out that some people use their tank thread as a place to hang out and socialize (a "lounge" of sorts). I don't think either term actually lends itself to that purpose, but certainly the terms used heretofore haven't gotten in the way of that. People will use their tank threads for the purpose that they prefer.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I understand the point you're making. I think it's interesting that the term "build" is what some of us see as problematic, and the term "journal" is what others are taking issue with. In both cases, it's one word that's in question. We are going to look at all of this more this coming week. I will say that when I started the thread, I definitely didn't think this would become such an important question.

Also, it's important to note that people can still use whatever term they want to refer to their own threads. No one has banned either term. It's also interesting to me that some have pointed out that some people use their tank thread as a place to hang out and socialize (a "lounge" of sorts). I don't think either term actually lends itself to that purpose, but certainly the terms used heretofore haven't gotten in the way of that. People will use their tank threads for the purpose that they prefer.
I agree with Tank Thread.

tank GIF

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the mediocre reef badges up for grabs?
I'll take one of those!
I think that that describes me the best anyways....
Just saying
I’m down for one of these as well :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd almost deserve a "Mostly Mediocre, Occasionally Exceptional, But Sometimes Lacking" badge...
Ok then, I want a Lost in the Wrasse badge then :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize most of you saying a journal feels like something private are expressing what you feel about the word.

However, I do want to point out that a journal is simply a record of something. The term is used for lots of other records and reports of things that are not private at all. For example, The Wall Street Journal, academic journals, accounting journals, etc. The term journal refers to the chronology/record of something. It's literally a document that tracks the progression of something. That's why it seemed appropriate for the thread that documents the story of a reef tank.
I feel like this was a helpful comment but it could have been better if you included “Ladies Home Journal” as an example of inclusion, or another favorite of mine “Journal of Psychedelic Studies” to expand the discussion of important topics that we experience in our lives and our Reefs

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also need to add that I appreciate the fact that the site bosses are always trying to make this a better experience for everyone.

As this thread has demonstrated that isn’t as easy as it seems that it should be.

People get so engaged with our hobby and they become very protective of it.
wrestling brawl GIF by WWE

Thanks to everyone who has gotten into the fray. I find it very heartwarming and healing to express ourselves with zeal and abandon. Thanks guys :star-struck::star-struck:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an out of the box option but it "MAY" be something that we can do. What people don't understand is that badges normally are easy. It's the ones that link to specific areas that takes some coding and I'll have to talk to our dev about this. This might be a really good option.

One of the reasons for the idea to change it, not saying it's the best idea, was that people at reef shows tells us that they would start a build thread but they didn't document any of the set up. I then proceed to tell them that build threads are also like journals in an attempt to get them to create one. My thought was that if we change the wording it would prompt others who may not have the "build" part to create a build thread.

That being said the unintended consequence was that the "build thread" part actually means a lot to people for various good reasons that were not thought of. So what is a good alternative to meet all the needs and wants of people? May be to give them the choice on which one they want to use. Just thinking about this now, I can think of a way we might can work it out, that being said I still have to confer with our dev about it.

Thank you!
Folks... It is really not that hard.
Build Thread Badge. Direct link to a persons build or to a showcase page if a person has more than one build and the reader can choose the build they want to view.
Tank Journal Badge. After the end of the build thread further updates will be handled here from a direct link at the top of the build thread. This allows any ?'s on the build to be posted and handled in the build thread. There will also be a link to a showcase page if a person has more than one tank.
Showcase page. Direct link to a persons build threads and/or Tank Journals.
The Fish Room. This is a Badge for social content. There are a few build threads that have turned into a social gathering place. Sometimes you just want to say hello... Maybe the Fish Room Badge can be bestowed on a reefer from others as a token.
^ This is the way....
Tank "Journal" can be replaced by "Notes" or "Notebook" because the word "Journal" means a variety of things to different ages and genders. Personally I Journal, I write things down from thoughts to recipes. But to each their own.
I also have several tanks, so a showcase page would be good for me. I could include how I set up a QT or a Phyto station. Sometimes I will build a system just to try it out. This would also be great research for new reefers. It could help them find a mentor or avoid one if their goals are different.
It can be confusing sometimes with advice on this platform/forum. By implementing a multifaceted system, it will help eliminate some of the confusion.
The code part of this is not difficult, any fifth grader can do it... I am NOT a fifth grader, so I can not do back end coding, so don't ask.
If you are going to make a change, make a difference for the better.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll need a badge that links to my channel for my tank journals. I have five tanks! :grinning-face-with-sweat:
But as others suggested, my opinion is "Build Thread" for ground up tank builds showing how they set it up, and "Tank Journal" for daily updates, etc.
You have a showcase page. Have you tried to add/link more tanks to that yet?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, while “build thread” may not be the answer. I think you run into the same issue with “journal” because all your examples are one person writing something without responses from others. They are not conversations, and that's what most build threads are. You share ideas and ask others for opinions, creating a community within this community. A journal, in any context, to me is one-sided. I don't think that's the point of these threads.
+1 for Tank Thread

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a showcase page. Have you tried to add/link more tanks to that yet?
I have not! I will check that out, I didn't know I could add tanks to it! Thanks! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not! I will check that out, I didn't know I could add tanks to it! Thanks! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I think you'll like it! The purpose of the showcase is to allow people to post their tanks in a way that allows people to see the current setup profile. It also has places where you can keep a current list of fish, corals, and other inhabitants. We are hoping to add even more functionality to it as we go, but it already offers a lot (in our opinion) for people wanting to show their tanks, and the best part for members with multiple tanks is you can see all of them on your showcase page!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll like it! The purpose of the showcase is to allow people to post their tanks in a way that allows people to see the current setup profile. It also has places where you can keep a current list of fish, corals, and other inhabitants. We are hoping to add even more functionality to it as we go, but it already offers a lot (in our opinion) for people wanting to show their tanks, and the best part for members with multiple tanks is you can see all of them on your showcase page!
Looks like I got some work to do then! Thanks! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back