X
High speed buffing wheel will make quick work of this duty. :eek:

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the change has already been implemented, but the two options are completely different things. There should be a Build Thread that documents the time spent researching, acquiring and setting up a system (building) until the system is operational. Then there should be a Tank Journal from that point forward to document change over the life of the system. Changes include live stock additions, fish, coral, cuc, or disease, sickness, death, or equipment additions or equipment failure, or problems such as leaks, algae outbreaks, the list goes on. Build Thread is finite. Tank Journal is infinite.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see the change has already been implemented, but the two options are completely different things. There should be a Build Thread that documents the time spent researching, acquiring and setting up a system (building) until the system is operational. Then there should be a Tank Journal from that point forward to document change over the life of the system. Changes include live stock additions, fish, coral, cuc, or disease, sickness, death, or equipment additions or equipment failure, or problems such as leaks, algae outbreaks, the list goes on. Build Thread is finite. Tank Journal is infinite.

Thanks for the input! It doesn't mean it's final at all. Still weighing options and this was good info!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible to make it so that members choose what their badge says?

It's not an out of the box option but it "MAY" be something that we can do. What people don't understand is that badges normally are easy. It's the ones that link to specific areas that takes some coding and I'll have to talk to our dev about this. This might be a really good option.

One of the reasons for the idea to change it, not saying it's the best idea, was that people at reef shows tells us that they would start a build thread but they didn't document any of the set up. I then proceed to tell them that build threads are also like journals in an attempt to get them to create one. My thought was that if we change the wording it would prompt others who may not have the "build" part to create a build thread.

That being said the unintended consequence was that the "build thread" part actually means a lot to people for various good reasons that were not thought of. So what is a good alternative to meet all the needs and wants of people? May be to give them the choice on which one they want to use. Just thinking about this now, I can think of a way we might can work it out, that being said I still have to confer with our dev about it.

Thank you!

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an out of the box option but it "MAY" be something that we can do. What people don't understand is that badges normally are easy. It's the ones that link to specific areas that takes some coding and I'll have to talk to our dev about this. This might be a really good option.

One of the reasons for the idea to change it, not saying it's the best idea, was that people at reef shows tells us that they would start a build thread but they didn't document any of the set up. I then proceed to tell them that build threads are also like journals in an attempt to get them to create one. My thought was that if we change the wording it would prompt others who may not have the "build" part to create a build thread.

That being said the unintended consequence was that the "build thread" part actually means a lot to people for various good reasons that were not thought of. So what is a good alternative to meet all the needs and wants of people? May be to give them the choice on which one they want to use. Just thinking about this now, I can think of a way we might can work it out, that being said I still have to confer with our dev about it.

Thank you!
Thanks for the update brotha hoping for the best outcome now lets get down to business lol mediocre reefer badges im not the best but not the worst thats a competition i could get into
DimFlippantGalapagosalbatross-size_restricted.gif

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the update brotha hoping for the best outcome now lets get down to business lol mediocre reefer badges im not the best but not the worst thats a competition i could get into
DimFlippantGalapagosalbatross-size_restricted.gif
That would be my perfect badge.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So y’all help me define two different badges if you will.

If someone was wondering which one they should choose, what would the definition of each look like?

Build Thread Contributor = ?

My Tank Journal = ?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Tank Journal = ?
Build thread: for the plumbers, mechanics, constructors, DIYers. Is your spirit animal Bob The Builder? If so, choose me.

Tank Journal: Are you a documenter? Tank already built? Focused on progression? For the storytellers. Is your tank a work-in-progress? It’s all about the journey, right? If so, this is for you.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread continuous build type thread from ground zero to running to improvements to diy to upgrades. Dosing full on what makes your tank run in your tank kinda way...a place where advice instruction how to's etc. Is given and accepted between friends and fellow reefers

Journal if you are wanting to document day to day new additions new coral or just a highlight reel similar to showcase.

Both in the user profile.... create a new link where the build thread input link is already and allow a choice....one defining build thread one defining journal.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll need a badge that links to my channel for my tank journals. I have five tanks! :grinning-face-with-sweat:
But as others suggested, my opinion is "Build Thread" for ground up tank builds showing how they set it up, and "Tank Journal" for daily updates, etc.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change is hard.

By my name you see neither build nor journal. I am a terrible photographer and that is the truth. Not to mention I shy away from putting pictures of myself or home on the internet. I unfortunately used my name as an avatar but that displays my ignorance of all things social media:astonished-face:.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So y’all help me define two different badges if you will.

If someone was wondering which one they should choose, what would the definition of each look like?

My Tank Journal = ?
I feel like any Thread is meant for conversation so a Build Thread Contributor is a thread where a member invites and welcomes conversation on the thread. Many of the build threads on here are this way. They're a great place to ask for and give experience and advice.

A Journal is more of a documentation of work continuing along the way. Journals are meant to be more of a private experience in my opinion and are not used for conversation and camaraderie. They're not for giving advice in my opinion, they're for my own documentation and my own opportunity to look back.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realize most of you saying a journal feels like something private are expressing what you feel about the word.

However, I do want to point out that a journal is simply a record of something. The term is used for lots of other records and reports of things that are not private at all. For example, The Wall Street Journal, academic journals, accounting journals, etc. The term journal refers to the chronology/record of something. It's literally a document that tracks the progression of something. That's why it seemed appropriate for the thread that documents the story of a reef tank.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I realize most of you saying a journal feels like something private are expressing what you feel about the word.

However, I do want to point out that a journal is simply a record of something. The term is used for lots of other records and reports of things that are not private at all. For example, The Wall Street Journal, academic journals, accounting journals, etc. The term journal refers to the chronology/record of something. It's literally a document that tracks the progression of something. That's why it seemed appropriate for the thread that documents the story of a reef tank.
I see your point but I'm old and stuck on the journals from when we were kids.

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF
kenan thompson snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back