Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I genuinely don't care what it's called, I just find the terminology used in response to fishguys post incredibly condescending, esp for a "family friendly" forum or whatever we're calling this these days

I understand what you’re saying and I certainly wasn’t trying to be.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said before, those who have built their tank on this site deserve a build thred badge.
I don't have that opportunity so I am OK with journal.
If I ever upgrade (feeling a bit tired for that) but if I did, I'd sure love a build thread badge.
My opinion only.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you’re saying and I certainly wasn’t trying to be.
Hand Ok GIF by Kyocera

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have some input on this current situation I think before the change it would have been good to try and establish a basis on who would have been okay for tank Journal or allow the individual to be able to make the choice for themselves between build thread or tank Journal. Being an individual that as personally built sumps to tanks to set ups and doing a lot of DIY work I would like the opportunity to have my thread be a build thread because of this again I feel as if it should be the person that created that thread choice to be able to choose whether or not it is labeled one way or the other I hope I can have my build threads back for the simple fact that it helped me take pride in the things that I created out of nothing I say give the choice and let us choose what it will be labeled as under our name

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have some input on this current situation I think before the change it would have been good to try and establish a basis on who would have been okay for tank Journal or allow the individual to be able to make the choice for themselves between build thread or tank Journal. Being an individual that as personally built sumps to tanks to set ups and doing a lot of DIY work I would like the opportunity to have my thread be a build thread because of this again I feel as if it should be the person that created that thread choice to be able to choose whether or not it is labeled one way or the other I hope I can have my build threads back for the simple fact that it helped me take pride in the things that I created out of nothing I say give the choice and let us choose what it will be labeled as under our name
Amen brother! Well said!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to have the opportunity to keep it as a "build thread". The poll shows that it's neck and neck, it's clear that everyone has a different opinion. If people want to call it a journal, fine. Good for them, they should be able to do that too. I think "tank journal" sounds silly and doesn't apply to my build. "Journal" implies regular logs, which I (and most everyone on this site) don't provide. I'm content with a small post whenever something happens, I don't want to feel like I'm being pressured to post regularly. Also, as @N1tew0lf1212 said, taking away the "Build" aspect seems to negate the DIY work that many people do for their tanks.

I'm not going to start an argument or debate with the mods, but I will say that when there's nearly a fifth of a million members (with over 10 million posts) on a forum, changing something due to personal taste gets questionable. Obviously it's up to the decision of the moderators as to how to run their site, but making changes like this over a poll with ~45~ answers seems a little rushed. I'd like to see more people vote and a clear majority appear before any substantial changes are made. This is meant as constructive criticism, not an attack on the mods or their actions. I don't agree with many choices made, but overall this forum is relatively well moderated and maintained. Keep up the good work @revhtree !

I also have "Build" in the title of my thread, and I don't know how to change it to fit with the new labeling restrictions.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda seems that way. LOL Hopefully no one gets THAT worked up over this...
People should have a choice just saying your telling me there isnt a way to make it that way....the members make the site and with it being 50/50 wouldnt it be best forthe option to be given......or are we just blindly paying money as a community for our choice to not be heard?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope not! Every time politics come up, I run for cover, because people sure do have opinions. Not for me.
Exactly!! Elections are awful. I'm with you on passing on that dynamic. :D I like fish. Let's just stick with talking about fish. Fish make me happy. :)

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!! Elections are awful. I'm with you on passing on that dynamic. :D I like fish. Let's just stick with talking about fish. Fish make me happy. :)
So your letting the people make a choice then awesome....thank you....politics do give everyone a headache so maybe a vote is not a good way to go with this?..isnt that political?...give the option and end the battle could be fairly simple add an area for the domain for tank journal under your profile and the option for build thread...that way we can choose what we would like......... when will I see my build thread back? Just wondering

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So your letting the people make a choice then awesome....thank you....politics do give everyone a headache so maybe a vote is not a good way to go with this?..isnt that political?...give the option and end the battle could be fairly simple add an area for the domain for tank journal under your profile and the option for build thread...that way we can choose what we would like......... when will I see my build thread back? Just wondering
Sounds like a "winning" solution to me !!... ;)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People should have a choice just saying your telling me there isnt a way to make it that way....the members make the site and with it being 50/50 wouldnt it be best forthe option to be given......or are we just blindly paying money as a community for our choice to not be heard?
I honestly don't know about the question of making this optional (like a choice that can be made between the two at the time of entering the info). I mean that I don't know how that would work in the software or if it's something that could be done. I tend to think that would actually be more difficult than it sounds, but someone who knows the programming of the site more than I would be better to look at that.

As for listening to the opinion of the community, we definitely do! We listen and we definitely consider the feedback that is given. Ultimately, we take in a lot of data with decisions like this (they aren't based solely on a poll in a thread) and we do our best to make a decision that will benefit the entire community. In this case, we’re looking at the label, and we’re thinking this label is better. In the end, whether we keep the new label, go with the old label, or change it to something else entirely, we will do our best to make the decision that seems best for the good of the community. We appreciate you guys, and we hear you, and we hope that you will trust that whatever decision is ultimately made, we are trying our best to make good choices (as Rev said above).

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not trying to take sides here but I will say for me, my build thread is just that. Many of use the build threads as a hang out place where we can document changes and additions to our builds while discussing with fellow members, seeking advice, offering advice, and just generally enjoying community. A "Tank Journal" sounds more personal - almost like my thread should be private and no one else should be posting or interacting there.

I saw a silly comment earlier about a 12 year old girl or something like that. I have a friend who's wife recently died. She was a journaler and her husband felt like he was invading her privacy if he read her journals after her death.

Just my two cents.

Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

Im Right Told You So GIF by DeRay Davis

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MoshJosh's thinking:

Build Thread: when you are starting a build and will post the steps as you go or you have already documented the steps and are posting them just after start up. Can also apply for tank restart, adding to a system (plumbing in a new tank or sump), significantly changing a system, or building a note worthy piece of reefing gear (DIY scrubber, lighting, etc. . .)

Tank Journal: when the tank is already up and running and the initial set up was not documented OR new set up that you have good reason to believe will be long running with consistent posts/updates/ongoing documentation.

I think in a perfect world (a perfect reef2reef) there would be a way to link or combine or rename a thread when it is a combination of a build thread and a journal, or when it transitions from one to the other.

An example of the latter being my 15 gallon softy tank. . . it has 4-5 build threads that could probably be combine into a single tank journal. . . Maybe I could start a journal and add links to all the build threads (sounds like a lot of work). Or maybe the build threads could be joined in a chronological fashion with an updated title. . .

These are just my though. . . BUT THEY ARE ALSO UNDISPUTABLE FACTS!!!
Replying to my original thought with some updates:

There should be a "Build Thread (Late Entry)" for established tanks (2 years +) that the owner/poster can provide build/set up information for. And another separate denotation for people who want to share their tank (established or otherwise) but are unable or unwilling to provide build/set up info. maybe it could be called "Tank Highlight".

And "Journal" should be reserved for: Any tank/system that there is "good reason to believe will be long running with consistent posts/updates/ongoing documentation."

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm actually in the process of building a new set up that I will be transferring my current set up to.
Could I start a new "Bulid thread" or should I just start posting on my current "journal"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back