Let's talk about hobby terms: "Build Thread" VS "Tank Journal"

Which term is better?

• "Build Thread"

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • "Tank Journal"

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I'm actually in the process of building a new set up that I will be transferring my current set up to.
Could I start a new "Bulid thread" or should I just start posting on my current "journal"
I started a build thread for each of my tanks. Some people have utilized a single thread for their single tank and kept that with each upgrade.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like Build Thread better. My Tank Journal sounds so kiddish. Someone suggested Build Journal....

I hate all of a sudden looking and seeing what I feel is something I wanted and earned (the badge) be changed for something maybe I didn't want, even as petty as it sounds.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so I'm actually in the process of building a new set up that I will be transferring my current set up to.
Could I start a new "Bulid thread" or should I just start posting on my current "journal"
Totally up to you! There aren't really "rules" about any of these things. I think most people start new threads for each tank. At least that's what I've always seen done (and what I've personally done).

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you were to start it now it woild just be a diary oops i mean journal....it would just be another journal so i guess maybe wait til a decision is made i just hope to get my build thread badge back as thats exactly what i did built my setup from stand to canopy to sump to racks to dosing containers to everything besides lighting but a good friend BUILT the shades for light spill so a journal doesnt necessarily highlight ones achievements when they put everything into actually creating something....for me i spent months on building it the way i wanted it and documented it and put a lot into the process for it to be exactly that a build thread....i hope thisgets resolved soon as i feel as if this direction was uncalled for treat it likethe showcase thread make it a choice

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know EXACTLY what people are doing that gives them success. :)
Several voodoo dolls of my most challenging fish and a Ouija board do the trick. When all else fails I resort to the Magic 8 Ball. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did vote for build thread, but after consideration I think Tank Journal is just fine in some situations. As has been said more than a few times, many of the “build threads” show the tank at least partially set up if not already in some kind of maintenance mode.. My case for both my 30 gallon that I had first and the 60 and now my nano, i started from the beginning . Honestly offering a preference choice when putting it together would be nice.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When all else fails I resort to the Magic 8 Ball. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Wimpy Kid School GIF by Diary of a Wimpy Kid

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. We especially appreciate those of you who have worked to give us your thoughts in ways that were constructive and attempting to point out things we perhaps haven't considered. We will consider the points made and make the best decision we can on it. There are 2 things I'm certain of:

1) We will consider all of the data we have been given and do our best to make the best decision we can for the good of Reef2Reef as a whole.
2) Not everyone will be happy with whatever decision is made. (If you've ever tried to please everyone in the room, you know that is a recipe for chaos and the only sure outcome will be your own insanity.)

Now, it's late, and I'm going to bed. I hope you all have an absolutely wonderful weekend! Do something you love and enjoy your reef tanks! (And then come post about it in your build thread/tank journal/aquarium discussion/____________. :cool: )

Happy reefing, everybody!

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. We especially appreciate those of you who have worked to give us your thoughts in ways that were constructive and attempting to point out things we perhaps haven't considered. We will consider the points made and make the best decision we can on it. There are 2 things I'm certain of:

1) We will consider all of the data we have been given and do our best to make the best decision we can for the good of Reef2Reef as a whole.
2) Not everyone will be happy with whatever decision is made. (If you've ever tried to please everyone in the room, you know that is a recipe for chaos and the only sure outcome will be your own insanity.)

Now, it's late, and I'm going to bed. I hope you all have an absolutely wonderful weekend! Do something you love and enjoy your reef tanks! (And then come post about it in your build thread/tank journal/aquarium discussion/____________. :cool: )

Have a good weekend sir thanks for your input hey @revhtree still waiting on my mediocre reefing badge btw lol

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks... It is really not that hard.
Build Thread Badge. Direct link to a persons build or to a showcase page if a person has more than one build and the reader can choose the build they want to view.
Tank Journal Badge. After the end of the build thread further updates will be handled here from a direct link at the top of the build thread. This allows any ?'s on the build to be posted and handled in the build thread. There will also be a link to a showcase page if a person has more than one tank.
Showcase page. Direct link to a persons build threads and/or Tank Journals.
The Fish Room. This is a Badge for social content. There are a few build threads that have turned into a social gathering place. Sometimes you just want to say hello... Maybe the Fish Room Badge can be bestowed on a reefer from others as a token.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I like the new one looks good sounds better imo. A lot of tanks are all in one’s so not much of a building the tank as filling it with fish and corals and seeing the progress

Last edited:

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks... It is really not that hard.
Build Thread Badge. Direct link to a persons build or to a showcase page if a person has more than one build and the reader can choose the build they want to view.
Tank Journal Badge. After the end of the build thread further updates will be handled here from a direct link at the top of the build thread. This allows any ?'s on the build to be posted and handled in the build thread. There will also be a link to a showcase page if a person has more than one tank.
Showcase page. Direct link to a persons build threads and/or Tank Journals.
The Fish Room. This is a Badge for social content. There are a few build threads that have turned into a social gathering place. Sometimes you just want to say hello... Maybe the Fish Room Badge can be bestowed on a reefer from others as a token.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Suggestion #MODS ,
How about putting a red or green "priority" tab on this thread,
to draw more attention ,get more views and votes ?
rt now approx only 1150 views.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care either way. I have unlinked my build thread/tank journal because I have a tank showcase and none of my tanks are new. I kinda like having less badges too, people take them waaay too seriously.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calm down bud we’re testing some things out including badge text. You may not understand why we do some of the things we do but we have a bigger picture for R2R and the future in mind. We have to think forward and not just in the past and even the present. We have to think growth and more options and what impact even a badge name can have on the growth of R2R for the future. We have our reasons and hope everyone can just trust us on some things.
It would have been nice to preface the original post with this info. Letting us all know in advance that you were considering making changes/adjustments prior to just making them. This is a safe space for a lot of people including myself. With everything going on in the world today a heads up would have been appreciated. Not just a flip of a switch. We have stickies for a reason and the ability to pin things to the top (black Friday sales) maybe we should do that for a certain period of time with anything you are looking to "adjust". That would give everyone the chance to weigh in. I for one think we should have a lot more ability to "customize" our boy scout badges. I don't like journal. At. All. But I also agree that at a certain point build thread doesn't quite match what's happening on the thread. Maybe options for tenure of thread? 1 for the start of the build if applicable,another badge for after 12m in, 1 for after 24m, 1 for 3ys+. That would also help us old timers recognize the "experience" level of the posters we are working with.
Just my 2c. Take it for what it's worth.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my mind, a build thread suggests that the user wants others to contribute. A thread is an effort of several users to create a chain of replies. It doesn't matter if your tank is 20+ years old or just started last week, it's your build. You built it at some point, didn't you?

Tank Journal sounds personal. It sounds like other people shouldn't read it, more like a personal log of things for tracking purposes. Which would be amazing for many users who don't really want a cluttered thread with a bunch of other's replies.

I present a solution. People have been asking for years for a place to post their current parameters, FTS, etc. that would stay stickied to the top of a build thread for everyone to see without the need for a goose chase through dozens of pages. Perhaps a digested, simplified timeline that can be added to the top of a thread and dropped down for new readers to get an idea about a thread that already has 30+ pages.
Users should be allowed to not add a Journal to their build thread as well, to keep it fully user dependant.

I just can't think of why we'd change something that's so well rooted, s why not have your cake and eat it too. Perhaps I'm missing something here, who knows. Have a great weekend and God bless.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the sudden rush to upset the apple cart before I have even had a chance to ponder the universal implications of making this kind of sudden change in the reefing community? We all know that sudden parameter shifts cause bad problems for coral, so what do you think will happen if you start mucking around with such a significant part of the reefing ecosystem here on Reef2Reef?

And by the way, Reef Build Vs Tank Journal has some inherent linguistic flaws in perception that might create more problems than solutions to the short comings with "Reef Build." You know it's true or else there would be no Reef2Reef THREAD to debate the merits of Build Vs Journal.

"Materials & Methods" has some history before the internet forum's became a thing. Lots more to discuss and yet we are rushing around always trying to make things better, it's a curse from the internet imo.

Anyway, I haven't started or updated a Build Thread so I am under no direct threat from the current push to improve the site. I'm still celebrating the addition of GIF
Queen Latifah Party GIF by Girls Trip

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the sudden rush to upset the apple cart before I have even had a chance to ponder the universal implications of making this kind of sudden change in the reefing community? We all know that sudden parameter shifts cause bad problems for coral, so what do you think will happen if you start mucking around with such a significant part of the reefing ecosystem here on Reef2Reef?

And by the way, Reef Build Vs Tank Journal has some inherent linguistic flaws in perception that might create more problems than solutions to the short comings with "Reef Build." You know it's true or else there would be no Reef2Reef THREAD to debate the merits of Build Vs Journal.

"Materials & Methods" has some history before the internet forum's became a thing. Lots more to discuss and yet we are rushing around always trying to make things better, it's a curse from the internet imo.

Anyway, I haven't started or updated a Build Thread so I am under no direct threat from the current push to improve the site. I'm still celebrating the addition of GIF
Queen Latifah Party GIF by Girls Trip

apple cider GIF by Angry Orchard
Wanda Sykes Tennis GIF by The Academy Awards

^ Upsetting the apple cart. :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back