Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, in the reef hobby (and particularly on reef forums) we have some "insider speak" that gets used frequently that outsiders won't understand. Don't believe me? Check out the acronym thread we have around here! LOL

One of the terms we commonly use is "build thread." It's a thread started to track the progress of a tank we're keeping. This thread is often started at the beginning of a new tank build (hence the term "build thread"), but it is also often started after the "build" has been completed and the tank has been up for a long time! (See @Paul B's "build thread" for a great example of a tank that's been around for at least twice as long as the internet!)

Given that:
1) "Build threads" are often started after the tank is up and running
2) These threads are primarily not about the initial build of the tank, but rather a way to track a reef tank's progress and share its ongoing story with the community

I believe that the term "Tank Journal" is a WAY BETTER term and should be used for referring to these kinds of threads. It certainly captures the idea of the purpose of these threads way better!

Additionally, I also have known of some members who thought they couldn't really start a "build thread" since their tank was already up and running. I've also known some members who stopped updating their build thread because the setup was...well...built/completed.

So what do you guys think? I say we should start using the term "Tank Journal" to refer to these threads!

By the way, if you haven't started your own tank journal/build thread yet, you should get yours going in one of our member tanks forums HERE!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100%! When I was new, I really wanted a build thread badge, but my old tank, which was made 2 decades ago, was already built.

Now, I really don’t update my build because it’s too many pages. I really like the reef showcase feature because the front page gets updated with all the dosing etc, which is exactly what I care about when searching for people’s threads.

I want to know EXACTLY what people are doing that gives them success. :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer who has been pondering starting a thread... I'll probably go back to 2016 or so....tank was rebuilt in 2010. I prefer build thread since I do build/modify things/mount corals, that I would likely take pictures of and post. For me this would be what I would reference back to "I added such and such"...check my build thread.

My personal journal entries like water quality param probably won't make it on the internet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, in the reef hobby (and particularly on reef forums) we have some "insider speak" that gets used frequently that outsiders won't understand. Don't believe me? Check out the acronym thread we have around here! LOL

One of the terms we commonly use is "build thread." It's a thread started to track the progress of a tank we're keeping. This thread is often started at the beginning of a new tank build (hence the term "build thread"), but it is also often started after the "build" has been completed and the tank has been up for a long time! (See @Paul B's "build thread" for a great example of a tank that's been around for at least twice as long as the internet!)

Given that:
1) "Build threads" are often started after the tank is up and running
2) These threads are primarily not about the initial build of the tank, but rather a way to track a reef tank's progress and share its ongoing story with the community

I believe that the term "Tank Journal" is a WAY BETTER term and should be used for referring to these kinds of threads. It certainly captures the idea of the purpose of these threads way better!

Additionally, I also have known of some members who thought they couldn't really start a "build thread" since their tank was already up and running. I've also known some members who stopped updating their build thread because the setup was...well...built/completed.

So what do you guys think? I say we should start using the term "Tank Journal" to refer to these threads!

By the way, if you haven't started your own tank journal/build thread yet, you should get yours going in one of our member tanks forums HERE!
Tank journal is more descriptive - and would likely lead more people to post IMHO.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Tank Journal but that title would imply it is just my notes on the build. In reality you get all sorts of folks commenting and sharing other ideas in a build thread. IE check out @fishguy242 build thread, folks from all over check in daily about their tanks as well as his.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either one is okay with me. I regularly upload video updates on all my tanks via my channel, and sometimes forget to update my build thread. I could make four more build threads I suppose. If only I could merge them somehow. :thinking-face:

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer tank journal personally. My tank is nothing like most on here but it's been going for 8 or 9 years. I love being a member here and when I joined I said bummer, my tank is already going so I can't "build" anything.
I can journal and update.
Maybe both terms? Is that confusing?
I mean if you ARE starting a new tank build great, build thread.
For those of us already going before we joined, journal. I do like the idea and I'm good either way.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer tank journal personally. My tank is nothing like most on here but it's been going for 8 or 9 years. I love being a member here and when I joined I said bummer, my tank is already going so I can't "build" anything.
I can journal and update.
Maybe both terms? Is that confusing?
I mean if you ARE starting a new tank build great, build thread.
For those of us already going before we joined, journal. I do like the idea and I'm good either way.
I agree ..
I never thought of a build thread for many years after mine was already running .
And through many upgrades and changes. .
It’s getting next to impossible to remember what corals were in what tank

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think it makes sense to change it, but adoption might be slow.

Just throwing it out there, but it would be great if the build thread format could be augmented to solve the problem of users having to search someone’s build thread / tank journal to find their progress photos. And without the OP user having to spend the effort to create an index with links it in their main post. I suggest a pinning feature that allows the OP user to click a “pin to thread” button on on a reply, which then sticks it to the top of the thread, on the main page, with the first image as a thumbnail. And when the pin is clicked, a modal opens up with a view of the reply, which allows the viewer to stay on the main post, therefore allowing the user to browse through the pinned posts with minimal friction.

OneZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see where this would make sense considering I'm just starting a build myself. It does seem to be some sort of a journal of sense, but at the same time it's also me posting about the build that I am in the process of doing. Whether it be fast or slow it's still my build lol How we choose to document our builds I definitely think should be however, we see it fit, but I could see where the journal could apply also . And as my name implies lol I have the Zen approach on everything at my own pace.. I feel you will live longer that way

IMG_4618.gif

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO...11 votes , and I lose my BUILD THREAD BADGE !!
Not a happy camper to say the least...:(
You can relink it in your profile. They only changed the name of it.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back