Let's talk about household items that can kill your tank!

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had an issue with this, either, and I do spray cologne near the tanks as some of them are next to my downstairs bathroom. I've also put my hands directly into the tanks, absentmindedly, after applying scent on my wrists, and didn't notice any adverse effect afterward. I still try to wear gloves, though.
wow that's very interesting, wonder what the science behind it is!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's very interesting, wonder what the science behind it is!
It was a high-end fragrance from Creed. I'm not trying to be a scent snob, but it's possible that they use higher-end ingredients than you might find in a drugstore buy. I wouldn't bet my tank on it, though.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud your ability on fitting that many tanks in your flat and have a mrs at the same time!
Ha ha yeah she likes them as much as me i think ,only 1 reef tank plus qt and 3 freshwater but they planted tanks and pretty much look after themselves, wc once every 2- 3 months. but one only got 3 fish in so thinking moving fish out and turn into a coral qt tank and putting in cupboard also to observe so dont get any nasty critters,but was first freshwater tank we ever owned so unsure if ever treated with meds and if so was there copper in meds as remember at begginning i didnt know about rinsing filters in tank water so cleaned in tap water pffft so had few deaths till quickly researched how to look after fish properley so as not sure it probably not good idea for corals.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I serviced a 20+ gallon cube. Long story short their two clown fish that they had for seven years just up and died one day. I was asked to find out what had happened. Checked water quality, checked last visit paperwork, asked every question in the book. Finally when the discussion turned into this discussion. The home owner said, the day before we had the carpet washed and then sprayed air freshener in the room. Our conclusion was that both the carpet cleaner and air freshener mostly entered in through the protein skimmer and killed the fish. Crazy!!!

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would worry me too if it happened on my tank.
. However, my wife burns scented candles in the same room as the tank and has wax melters she uses sometimes and I have never seen an issue with the tank when she does this. We do avoid spraying any aerosols in the room. She even uses that arm and hammer scented carpet powder when she vacuums. Never noticed any effect on the tank.
I burn two candles from Bath and Body works constantly. Never have any issues, but I do have two glass lids, a HOb filter on my 40G, so maybe my tanks are locked up tight

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a high-end fragrance from Creed. I'm not trying to be a scent snob, but it's possible that they use higher-end ingredients than you might find in a drugstore buy. I wouldn't bet my tank on it, though.
Ok big money! That’s at least a $200 bottle lol
Which Creed fragrance do you have?

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to assume that none of the people on this thread uses a glass lid to keep these harmful things out of the tank because I do everything y’all are saying has caused harm and none of it has happened to me.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell my wife she can’t burn scented candles in the house! Lol. I already make her go into another room to spray any aerosols on a rag before using in the room where the tank is. Been using Sprayway glass cleaner for years on the glass in the kitchen which is open to the living room. Never any issues. And you can smell that stuff throughout the house when you use it. Heck I used to use it directly on the aquarium glass back in the day. Spraying on a rag first “away” from the tank then using. Always use paint with little to no VOC’s. Like behr for example. It’s approved for use in nurseries. No powders are allowed near the tank either. I now use Ro/Di in a spray bottle and squeegee to clean the glass. Vinegar is preferred for stubborn stuff. Aquarium gloves are used most the time if I must stick my hand in the tank. Smoke from cooking in the kitchen can’t be a good thing, but never had any issues. If I know I have to mess with the tank I avoid coming in contact any kind of scented soap or what have you that day. Scrub down with alcohol or baking soda. I’ve wondered about burning wood in the fireplace during the winter months. Never had any issue, but you can smell it. If you can smell it, it’s in the air. If it’s in the air, some of it has to be getting in to the tank. With all the above stated, I do keep a closed top system with glass lids. Always have, always will. I’m sure it helps to an extent.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Windex to clean my glass when I first started, as a youngin....oh look at that Ammonia! ....as I sprayed it rather liberally all over the place outside the tank. Lesson learned one day , dead fish everywhere. Yes, I was a total bozo.... vinegar and water from then on....

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell my wife she can’t burn scented candles in the house! Lol. I already make her go into another room to spray any aerosols on a rag before using in the room where the tank is. Been using Sprayway glass cleaner for years on the glass in the kitchen which is open to the living room. Never any issues. And you can smell that stuff throughout the house when you use it. Heck I used to use it directly on the aquarium glass back in the day. Spraying on a rag first “away” from the tank then using. Always use paint with little to no VOC’s. Like behr for example. It’s approved for use in nurseries. No powders are allowed near the tank either. I now use Ro/Di in a spray bottle and squeegee to clean the glass. Vinegar is preferred for stubborn stuff. Aquarium gloves are used most the time if I must stick my hand in the tank. Smoke from cooking in the kitchen can’t be a good thing, but never had any issues. If I know I have to mess with the tank I avoid coming in contact any kind of scented soap or what have you that day. Scrub down with alcohol or baking soda. I’ve wondered about burning wood in the fireplace during the winter months. Never had any issue, but you can smell it. If you can smell it, it’s in the air. If it’s in the air, some of it has to be getting in to the tank. With all the above stated, I do keep a closed top system with glass lids. Always have, always will. I’m sure it helps to an extent.
I spray my glass with glass cleaner lol. Guess I’m playing with matches

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spray my glass with glass cleaner lol. Guess I’m playing with matches
Lol, you are! But I won't call you a bozo, thats reserved for my own younger days....to be truthful, I was REALLY liberal with the stuff, the streaks kept coming back, let's do it again lol

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fumigation, even outside around the house. Lock it up tight. Also seen people have losses when painting.

I am sure all those fabreeze and bathroom sprays are not healthy for us either. I had a cat with asthma so never used them and still don't.
Wow you are the only other person besides me that Ive heard that has a cat with asthma

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend storing 17 million gallons of sewage nearby.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plug ins and auto sprays. No issues. I did have to paint the room my mom used (smoker)when she passed. The painters used a special primer. All doors were closed, a towel blocking under her door. Worst smelling stuff ever. Nuked 2 tanks. Fish and coral die off. Tanks white the next day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back