Let's talk about keeping large angels in a reef

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys that keep large angels in a reef, how do you go about it? What tips can you offer? Obviously, the risks are always there, but what can one do to help minimize those risks? What types of large angels can be kept in a reef (with caution), and what types are definitely "No way!"? Please weigh in if you have experience to offer. Thanks! Hoping for a good discussion!

Also, please feel free to share your pictures of your angels in their reef!

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep two angels but I don't know if they are considered large. I keep a flame and a jaculator. Never saw them pick on any thing. I thing the trick is if you buy then as juvenile and feed the tank regularly it might be the way that they don't look for any other food like corals

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned 2 different large angels, a regal and a emperor. The regal was weaned onto pellets prior to purchase and is a model citizen except with zoa and sponges. The emperor wrecked havoc on LPS. I knew this would be the case with either one, but I'm a sps guy. The emperor had mood swings and I decided to part ways with him. He now resides in a 400g. My regal is still with me and now that I don't have the emperor anymore, I purchased a 2 inch clam to start collecting clams again. The regal (like prior when I owned clams) hasn't cared or looked at the clam. With all this said, I believe it's 50/50 on every angel. Prepare and know that they may pick but it's their natural instinct. Some of us just get lucky.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emperor in my mostly sps reef. He mostly leaves all of my coral alone, but I know better than to put LPS or polyps in my tank. I threw some gsp in my tank and he was a lawn mower. I tried a chalice once and he ate the meat off of it right away. I had a haddoni for a whe but be was nipping at it. I only do sps, shrooms, and euphylia, and everything is working out.

With the other fish, he is a little mean to my naso tang, but nothing terrible. Just some opportunistic intimidation and barking. No chasing. My tank has some tough guys, so he doesn't get out of hand. I have two triggers and a powder blue that hold their own.

My lemonpeel angel is the meanest and the biggest coral nipper in the tank.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401158267.366792.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401158291.498908.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful angel and beautiful tank! Thanks for sharing!

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a juv emperor in my 150g (I'll be upgrading to 300-400 before he too big). I keep mostly sps and so far I haven't seen him nipping at them yet, fingers crossed. I have a couple different mushrooms (hairy, ricordea, and Yuma) that he hasn't touched. I'm not sure if he's been nipping at my toadstool or if my clowns have been aggravating it as they've taken up residence. I got rid of all my zoas and Lps before adding him so I wouldn't lose them. I've thought about adding some chalices, but after the above comment I may give it a second thought. My emperor definitely likes to pick at my Kenya tree, which is fine by me, but he leaves the xenia alone. Mine is actually pretty calm during feeding time also, he doesn't chase any of my other fish off.
So far, either because I'm lucky or he's young, but mine has been a model citizen.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been thinking about adding a gold torch, but I was nervous that it would be an expensive meal. Maybe I'll give it a shot after all

Awesome! Maybe try a green hammer or frogspawn first...less expensive as a trial. :) Just my idea.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try an inexpensive LPS first...I know from experience, anything that moves (torches, froggies, etc.) has a better chance of NOT getting nipped...wellso, trachys, chalices, zoas, are just snacks for any angels so I don't bother adding them.

I have read that angels do better with SPS than, LPS but up to now was strictly a LPS person.

I am going to try SPS and see what happens....I had a pair of falcula butterflies that destroy all LPS in my tank AND in the process showed the bad habits to most of my angels.

soo..I am hoping I can keep some SPS, but if not, that is ok cuz I had slated the tank to be FOWLR.

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it's pretty difficult to keep that many angels in one tank because of fighting, or is it just angels of the same size and color? What's your secret? What are the 7 you have?

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does depend on size of tank, but the premise is the more the angels you have the less they can claim territory..

I believe the link I posted has a listing (and pics) of the angels I have, but here is the list:

Emperor
BlueLine
BlueFace
Scribbled
Personifier
Goldflake
Asfur
Flame

I have had these first together for over a year and I've experienced no fighting..sure there is an occasional chasing but that is at feeding time, otherwise, everyone gets along..

the key that works for me is size...instead of getting angels 6-7 inches in size where they are full adults, stubborn and hard to wean to community food, I purchase angels that are 3-5 inches or sub-adults...I also make sure every angel goes thru a QT procedure..most of my angels are from DiversDen, but for those fish that aren't, they go thru a QT procedure which at minimum I dose PraziPro for de-worm/fluke since angels are prone to these parasites....I also do a 2wk copper treatment with cupramine.

Last edited:

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a majestic- blue face- regal-imperator- had them for a year without any problem, came home one day every single Zola and mushroom was wipe out. Sold all the angel except for the regal. So far he has not touch any of the coral.

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a majestic- blue face- regal-imperator- had them for a year without any problem, came home one day every single Zola and mushroom was wipe out. Sold all the angel except for the regal. So far he has not touch any of the coral.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is the one thing with angels, is one has to decide...fish or corals?? at a moment's notice an angel can turn on you and wipe out your corals...

one thing that does help is multiple feedings a day..I mean 3-5 times a day with one of the feedings, greens...

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Gold Flake, Lemon Peel and a Regal in a 400 SPS only tank. I feed 5-7 very light feedings a day. On the weekends it's like 10-12 times. Enough food that every fish eats and it's gone in less than 20 seconds.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back