Lets talk culturing copepods

Rural

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have thorough explanations on our website regarding multiple freeze-thaw events and how that can damage the cells. Because of this, we recommend that users make aliquots. After 25 years of research and development, we've worked out a lot of the kinks. The cells are intact and the nutrition inside is readily available for many applications. This isn't a "nutrient soup with degraded cells walls floating around". Our products provide fish, bivalve and shrimp hatcheries with clean, convenient, long shelf-life feeds that are superior choices to replace or supplement live microalgae.

Thanks for your questions and I'm happy to provide clarification.

Chad

Mic drop...

I enjoyed all your info on your site and since you already did the heavy lifting... I got my supply from you and did the aliquot method. Works very well. Growing my own copepods the past 3 months.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mic drop...

I enjoyed all your info on your site and since you already did the heavy lifting... I got my supply from you and did the aliquot method. Works very well. Growing my own copepods the past 3 months.
Hardly a mic drop since all I was doing was having a conversation, and I appreciate the clarification. I happen to think they have a great product that is hugely useful, as long as customers follow the guidelines, at a price point that would have made me second think setting up my own cultures. It’s not on parity with my cost of production (7c /g vs 31c/g) but if I had more need for higher volumes for breeding purposes, rather than purely dosing my tank and culturing copepods- it’s a very attractive time saver

but thanks for your attempt to stoke some sort of fire, I guess

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Nutrition : that’s a pretty good price point for the quart size. I wish I’d known this was available before setting my system up, lol
Sorry that I misunderstood your comment about the cells becoming a soup. Thanks for responding about it.

Well, we don't plan on going anywhere any time soon, so if you want to get some algae from us in the future, we will be ready. I'm happy to hear you find our pricing favorable.

Great chatting with you!

Chad

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I misunderstood your comment about the cells becoming a soup. Thanks for responding about it.

Well, we don't plan on going anywhere any time soon, so if you want to get some algae from us in the future, we will be ready. I'm happy to hear you find our pricing favorable.

Great chatting with you!

Chad
No worries
its easy to miss context or small details when reading threads.

right, @Rural?

I enjoyed our conversation too.

fwiw- I’ve been using TDO chromaboost exclusively as my dry food and have been very impressed by color development and retention in my fish and corals. I actually grind up the xsmall pellets and mix it into the frozen food I also feed.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey there. Very happy to hear our methods and algae work well for you. Hope your copepod cultures thrive, long-term!

Chad

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using TDO chromaboost exclusively as my dry food and have been very impressed by color development and retention in my fish and corals. I actually grind up the xsmall pellets and mix it into the frozen food I also feed.
I started using the chroma boost pellets crushed up to feed my coral and also my blackworms that get fed to my fish.
I used to worry the worm had not enough vitamins, but with gut loading them with this, I think I am good.
I did not think about adding it to my frozen Food, but now I will do that too.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw- I’ve been using TDO chromaboost exclusively as my dry food and have been very impressed by color development and retention in my fish and corals. I actually grind up the xsmall pellets and mix it into the frozen food I also feed.

Very good to hear! TDO has many positive attributes. I know people that feed it to salamanders and axolotls! LOL The variety of animals that people are feeding it to continue to astound us. It comes in a powdered form (75 - 250 micron) in case you wanted to give that a go.

Chad

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(You can't see the bottom of the culture, the lighter ring that gives that illusion is the reflection of buckets top.)

Is that 24/7?

looks great- that’s about where I’m at, about 1-2 bubbles a second but I only run mine 15min per hour to keep a really gentle suspension going. I’m using square 4 gallon containers though.
Thanks!!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 24/7?

looks great- that’s about where I’m at, about 1-2 bubbles a second but I only run mine 15min per hour to keep a really gentle suspension going. I’m using square 4 gallon containers though.
Thanks!!
24/7
I found that the gentle turnover flow is doing the trick. Too much aeration is bad but no aeration also limits the growth.
I would use square containers if I could find some as cheap as the buckets. I also have the larger tups Reed is recommending but I may actually turn those rather into larvae tanks and use instead cheaper ones from Lowes.
Next point on my list is to build the nauplii harvester.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7
I found that the gentle turnover flow is doing the trick. Too much aeration is bad but no aeration also limits the growth.
I would use square containers if I could find some as cheap as the buckets. I also have the larger tups Reed is recommending but I may actually turn those rather into larvae tanks and use instead cheaper ones from Lowes.
Next point on my list is to build the nauplii harvester.
I use these - $4 from target. Practically disposable at that price, but I get 6 months out of them before I toss them because they get all mulmed up

and they are clear, so you can side illuminate to see pods in oblique lighting

9F6F5983-D1A7-451A-BD02-5674A14F0C66.jpeg

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these - $4 from target. Practically disposable at that price, but I get 6 months out of them before I toss them because they get all mulmed up

and they are clear, so you can side illuminate to see pods in oblique lighting

9F6F5983-D1A7-451A-BD02-5674A14F0C66.jpeg
Those might be better for Tisbe.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempting to grow Tigger pods from reef nutrition. Using Nanno I’ve been cultivating
875107C3-4E20-4863-8239-100A12AE7684.jpeg
4248B450-8655-4F30-8427-EDFDD79366E8.jpeg
8DA8ADCC-7A04-42C6-A9BC-98EB140656FA.jpeg

only been 1 month. Just now seeing nauplii starting to congregate on the bottom

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThRoewer that looks really dark green! I’ve been conservative with the phyto.

Maybe I should darken up my pod culture with more phyto?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my long-term outdoor Tigriopus cultures which are running for at least a year now (this one has Artemia as contaminants in it but they don't seem to impact the efficiency of the culture)

The green water isn't particularly for the Tigriopus but rather to keep nutrients in check and to prevent the culture from rotting. As food, I add pulverized rat food primarily because it is cheaper than fish food.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThRoewer that looks really dark green! I’ve been conservative with the phyto.

Maybe I should darken up my pod culture with more phyto?
The phyto in most of my pod cultures usually multiplies faster than the pods can eat it.

I have an outdoor phyto culture I use as feed and starter for most of my cultures. All I do is refill it with old filtered tank water and the California sun does the rest.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do Tigriopus and Tisbe.
I don’t think I have any fish that’ll eat an Apocs. Big suckers, lol
Of all those pods Tisbe is the smallest and Tigriopus the largest. Apocyclops is on the smaller side. Tisbe and Apocyclops are for me primarily larvae feeds due to them needing a decent amount of TLC to stay productive and alive.
Tigriopus is the one most suitable as a mass grow-out food as it gets pretty large and can be cultured out in the backyard (at least here in CA) and fed cheaply - no need for expensive feeds.
I still need to figure out how to maximize the yield and how to achieve better supply stability so that I will always have enough of it at all times.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phyto in most of my pod cultures usually multiplies faster than the pods can eat it.
I might be seeing the same thing. Only added a small amount of phyto. Was expecting it to clear up/get eaten. Thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Or my phyto tasted bad or something lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back