Lets talk flow

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you guys setting up your powerheads and return outputs for best possible flow? Im still getting quite a few dead spots and even spots on the rocks

4C9A8EB7-51D8-4BE6-BF8E-13AB69721D7B.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and which powerheads are you using now? There are several configurations that could work and a lot of it is based on your rockwork and what you keep. Some put the powerheads in the back pumping forward, some like to put them facing each other on the sides to create good turbulence.

My tank is only a 45 gallon and I have a single gyre on the left wall, positioned vertically, and dual returns. I have considered adding a second gyre to the right wall facing the other.

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and which powerheads are you using now? There are several configurations that could work and a lot of it is based on your rockwork and what you keep. Some put the powerheads in the back pumping forward, some like to put them facing each other on the sides to create good turbulence.

My tank is only a 45 gallon and I have a single gyre on the left wall, positioned vertically, and dual returns. I have considered adding a second gyre to the right wall facing the other.
aquamai kps and the stock return pump. kps is back right corner facing slightly down and across the tank

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? That seems like a small pump to use alone if the tank is as large as it looks. Looks like that pump goes up to about 1000 GPH, but I have never used it myself. How high do you run this pump and what are the returns at?

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? That seems like a small pump to use alone if the tank is as large as it looks. Looks like that pump goes up to about 1000 GPH, but I have never used it myself. How high do you run this pump and what are the returns at?
its a 20g nuvo. I have the kps on the 200 sps setting. believe that is as high as it goes

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my mp10 in roughly the same spot as your powerhead in my nuvo 20. No real dead spots but I have less rock in two separate islands
Mp10 is more powerful tho isnt it? Maybe I should have went that route instead. Dont like the interface on the kps as is

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the flow rate of the kps is, but the mp10 tops out at 1500 gph. I run mine on a schedule of reef crest 5 hours at 60% , tidal swell mode 4 hours at 60%, lagoon mode 5 hours at 60%, constant mode for 10 hours at 20%. If I try for 67%, I start swirling sand. Also i upgraded the return pump to a sicce 1.0 @252gph

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine pretty simple. I run a mag 12 return on my 20 long nano. I have four returns, top left, top right aiming down at 45, then a return that splits along the bottom back center to sweep the back of the tank.

I don't like the looks of power heads in nano tanks so I went with a larger return pump and split it.

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine pretty simple. I run a mag 12 return on my 20 long nano. I have four returns, top left, top right aiming down at 45, then a return that splits along the bottom back center to sweep the back of the tank.

I don't like the looks of power heads in nano tanks so I went with a larger return pump and split it.
Im not too fond of them either. so try and keep them minimal. but there is nowhere to put a pump that size on these tanks. remember the sump i the back chamber on the display

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 20g nuvo. I have the kps on the 200 sps setting. believe that is as high as it goes

Less gallons that I thought. I am a terrible judge of that. Well, that KPS maxes out about where my 1k Gyre does at 1,000 GPH and my display tank is about twice the size of yours (although the gyre flow is a bit different). Seems it should be enough flow, so maybe try opening up the rock work a little, or bring the powerhead a little lower.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not too fond of them either. so try and keep them minimal. but there is nowhere to put a pump that size on these tanks. remember the sump i the back chamber on the display
Ah, it's an all in one.

What about a maxi jet 1200 or similar? They are much smaller.

The marineland ones come with options to be a power head and a utility pump. I'm not exactly sure of the size tho.

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, it's an all in one.

What about a maxi jet 1200 or similar? They are much smaller.

The marineland ones come with options to be a power head and a utility pump. I'm not exactly sure of the size tho.
I messed around with the create option for the settings instead of picking one that was pre setup. See how it goes for a week.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a huge fan of flow. On my 34g Nano SPS tank which is BB, has a lot of flow.

This does not include the return.

MP10 1500 +
Tunze 1000 +
RM-M 2,600 each

Now I run the tunze at 100%, but the others around 70%.
That is 1k for vortech (ish) and 1800 per RP-M although the reduction isn't linear, but close enough.

That is 5,600 GPH, but I run them on pulse. Full on/off except the vortech which can't fully stop.

5600/2 is 2,800 GPH. Or for 34g is a real 80x turnover, however it's quite a bit higher than that real world as the stop on pulse take a little bit to really stop.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back