• Total voters

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R,
i am having to decide if I want a sump like a TIdeline 48 to sit under my new 210 build or should I go with a custom sump from a company who will take a 75-100 gallon tank and make me a sump. I like the thought of having all the bells and whistles with a regular acrylic sump like Tideline or bashsea but I also like the fact that the custom class some from Glass Cages would have more water volume and they are much cheaper. What type of sumps do you guys have for your current builds and why? Please help me choose. Thanks.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rubbermaid stock tank, cos I can load it up with rock, cheato, pods, crabs and equipment. Is also a fraction of the cost of buying a sump.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
i am having to decide if I want a sump like a TIdeline 48 to sit under my new 210 build or should I go with a custom sump from a company who will take a 75-100 gallon tank and make me a sump. I like the thought of having all the bells and whistles with a regular acrylic sump like Tideline or bashsea but I also like the fact that the custom class some from Glass Cages would have more water volume and they are much cheaper. What type of sumps do you guys have for your current builds and why? Please help me choose. Thanks.
I have an Eshopps sump but I wish I would have done a DIY sump to customize it more. For as much money as I spent on it, I would much prefer to have one that I can do more with.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger 39, and it is getting a bit crowded in it, but so far so good, and I like to keep the total water volume down for water-change purposes. I originally wanted a 6’ long custom sump..... very happy with what I went with

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same footprint as your 210 and I was originally going to use an oceanic 90 (longer & shorter than a std 75/90). I mixed my salt in the tank without the sump. Well when I went to slide it in the tank wouldn't fit due to my stand having a middle support. I couldn't get a std 75 or a 40b to fit either. Luckily I had an old eshopps 300 Berlin style (30x16x14 I think) and was able to slide that in.

I like the glass cages option personally and I'd try to take some height off a std 75. Acrylic is 1/2 the weight and tons easier to drill if you need to.

If I had a dedicated filter room or basement sump I'd do a rubbermaid trough from tsc hands down.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a converted tank with baffles for years, but I was always struggling to get things in and out of it, and I really wanted a larger refugium upstream of my skimmer. My display is a 90g, so I was very limited on what would fit. Super happy with my Bashsea. It’s a relatively new design concept from them, and has everything I wanted in a sump

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger emerald 34. Love it. Probe holders, dosing line holders, adjustable level for skimmer, many other extras.

tomwlf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a 48 x 12 x 18 . Very narrow trying to cram all my equipment into it with a fuge. Very limited on skimmer size too.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my finances would allow it, sure I would love to have a custom Royal Exclusiv dreambox.

Premade sumps are great, and I know you can get a more reasonable one than RE, and they make the under tank space look very clean,dont get me wrong, but I prefer to build my own sump out of a glass aquarium/baffles, and invest the money saved by doing so into being able to afford better, more crucial equipment.
As far as mechanical filtration and probe holders go, easily done with some DIY ingenuity.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a modified acrylic.
it's basically a stock eShoppes 200 with a modified AquaFuge glued to the side and permanently plumbed in

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger Ruby30s and love it. I do wish it had the adjustable Skimmer height like some of the newer Trigger sumps. I prefer acrylic over glass because it’s much more durable and easy to repair if you get a leak (my sump has never leaked).

If cost is an issue, just keep your eye out for used ones on the forum or Craigslist. I see them pop up from time to time for half price or less.

I did do a little custom work on mine. I replaced the bulkheads with Sch80 and enlarged my Return section to accommodate larger pumps.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the regular acrylic sump get more love because they have more bells and whistles versus a DIY? I am trying to justify the cost because what I pay for a Tideline 48 I can get a 100 gallon DIY from a professional aquarium maker like glass cages. Thoughts?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a food storage/transport container currently.

B5F33E8E-560C-4709-8B3F-F97DA957ED4E.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should throw in Custom acrylic sumps as an option as well. My new build will have a custom built sump same as my last one. It gave me the ability to do whatever I wanted layout wise and fit in the space with as big of a footprint as possible. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back